A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:20:49 pm
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Miss Jackson's/Petty's.....  (Read 189682 times)
LandArchPoke
Philanthropist

« Reply #345 on: December 28, 2020, 04:29:50 pm »

ROFL   About the response I expected.  I have no desire to debate anything from 2016, just updating matters and exhibiting the veracity (or lack thereof) of statements made.  If you don't like having your nonsense exposed, stop posting nonsense.

I'm sure I could find plenty of things you've said that never panned out either but I'm not on here just to be an donkey - you're such a lovely person I bet.

Restoration Hardware was in fact designing a new, larger store in which I was referencing. That happened to fall through for various reasons and they are still there. At some point they will be building a new store just like they have for a many of their other location and Utica Square has limited space for them to be able to build their new concept store.

You sure exposed me didn't you. Ohhhh no.... for a comment about a deal that was in process and never materialized. That never happens does it. Nope.

Get a life. Go troll somewhere else or learn how to contribute something worthwhile here. Feel free to dig up everything I've ever said on this site, it's really kind of pathetic to dig through such old stories to "expose people" or so you think that you are. HAHA, pretty sad really.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 04:31:42 pm by LandArchPoke » Logged
Arkansas Rio Gator
Citizen

« Reply #346 on: December 28, 2020, 07:32:28 pm »

I miss Petty's. A mighty fine shop, gone.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #347 on: December 28, 2020, 08:04:01 pm »

I miss Petty’s too, wish it could somehow be resurrected but doubtful it would be the same. 

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #348 on: December 28, 2020, 10:42:55 pm »

I miss Petty’s too, wish it could somehow be resurrected but doubtful it would be the same.  

So when the medical building just on the other side of 21st was razed, it became an open lawn.
Makes you wonder why that wasnt done with Petty's / Miss Jacksons.

ADD: Pictures  https://www.facebook.com/237131397422/posts/the-old-glass-nelson-clinic-in-tulsa/10157357657792423
« Last Edit: December 29, 2020, 02:08:21 pm by patric » Logged

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Oil Capital
City Father

« Reply #349 on: December 29, 2020, 08:52:09 am »

I miss Petty's. A mighty fine shop, gone.

And sadly, it seems to have been for no reason.  
« Last Edit: December 29, 2020, 01:31:48 pm by Oil Capital » Logged

Oil Capital
City Father

« Reply #350 on: December 29, 2020, 10:00:24 am »

So when the medical building just on the other side of 21st was razed, it became an open lawn.
Makes you wonder why that wasnt done with Petty's / Miss Jacksons.

Refresh my memory... which medical building are you referring to?

Vision 2025
Philanthropist

« Reply #351 on: December 29, 2020, 10:06:12 am »

There used to be a multi-story red/orange brick medical building kind of at the SE corner of Utica Square, its been gone a good while.

Vision 2025 Program Director - know the facts, www.Vision2025.info
Oil Capital
City Father

« Reply #352 on: December 29, 2020, 10:09:07 am »

There used to be a multi-story red/orange brick medical building kind of at the SE corner of Utica Square, its been gone a good while.

That's what came to my mind.  But that (a) is not on the other side of 21st St, and (b) was replaced by the two free-standing restaurants (Flemings and PF Changs), not an open lawn.  FWIW, that Utica Square medical building was demolished by implosion in 2002.

dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #353 on: December 29, 2020, 11:28:13 am »

I believe it was the Glass Nelson Clinic.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2020, 11:31:59 am by dbacksfan 2.0 » Logged
Oil Capital
City Father

« Reply #354 on: December 29, 2020, 11:49:29 am »

I believe it was the Glass Nelson Clinic.

Ahhhh, thanks.

Oil Capital
City Father

« Reply #355 on: December 29, 2020, 01:35:37 pm »

It's a shame Utica Square has such limited space that they can't find room for one of the new large-format Restoration Hardware stores.  (They would need a site on which RH could build about 50,000 square feet over three floors.)
 Wink
« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 11:16:55 am by Oil Capital » Logged

dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #356 on: December 29, 2020, 02:36:31 pm »

It's a shame Utica Square has such limited space that they can't find room for one of the new large-format Restoration Hardware stores.  (They would need a site on which RH could build about 50,000 square feet over three floors.)

Using the measuring tool on Google maps shows the Miss Jackson's/Petty's lot is about 24,000 sq ft. Other than that lot the only real alternative Utica Square has for expansion would be to some how combine the parking garages on the south side into one structure of four or five floors. Does Temple Israel have anything to do with the parking structure across from them or is that part of the Square?

I think the bigger issue, and it's been brought up by others, that maybe the younger Helmerich's don't have the head or maybe the stomach for retail real estate.

Have they ever tried to develop anything on the old H&P site? That's been vacant for 15 years or so IIRC. Seems that there was a discussion fabout a hotel, but I don't think anything official has been proposed, or has it?

buffalodan
Activist

« Reply #357 on: December 29, 2020, 03:57:30 pm »

I wish they would do something with Utica Square though. We walk there for shopping/patio drinks and it is just such a poorly laid out space. It isn't the worst pedestrian friendly experience (La Cantera in San Antonio made me question who approved the ideas), but it is just consistently bad in a really weird way.
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #358 on: December 29, 2020, 07:58:28 pm »

I wish they would do something with Utica Square though. We walk there for shopping/patio drinks and it is just such a poorly laid out space. It isn't the worst pedestrian friendly experience (La Cantera in San Antonio made me question who approved the ideas), but it is just consistently bad in a really weird way.

I have a few thoughts about Utica Square after being in Tulsa last March. The biggest thing I see is that it's showing it's age which is kind of a double edge sword. It's nice because it's outdoors, it's reasonably walkable, lots of mature trees and landscape and buildings that seem to be well maintained. But the other side of that it is showing it's age, it's almost 70 years old and it just seems to be a little rough around the edges of everything. Not worn out and needs to be taken down, it's just a little bit threadbare. I think if you try and update it, it'll ruin everything that makes Utica Square.

I remember going there as a kid back in the late 60's, and I remember eating at the IHOP when it was IHOP before it turned into Goldie's.

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #359 on: December 30, 2020, 09:05:49 am »

If it were me, I would put in an arcade of small shops where the Petty's/Miss Jacksons used to be.  Include part of the parking/drive just to the east, to have the first double "row" there (shops facing east and west), then the other row of shops to the West on that lot with a partly covered, or glass roof over the center area, or keep with the covered walkways but nicer, all around.  Still keep it feeling open air, definitely have it open to the outdoors on either end, but also be partly protected.  Perhaps even take out the center store further west so that there is an East/ West pedestrian axis.  One or two of the store spots could be larger and 2 stories, with several being very small, but what would really help Utica Square is if there were simply more shops/restaurants so that you could spend more time walking around and browsing different shops.  Thing is if it became too much of an attraction you would have to deal with the parking issue.

But anymore, I just don't feel like going there for there isn't enough to interest me.  Restoration Hardware as one example, now that they have changed their concept to not having gift / decor type items, you really only go there if you are say remodeling a room or home and looking for specific larger items.  West Elm, again if your looking for a piece of furniture or have a new apartment or home and want a set of dishes... its like the stuff you need when you are starting to decorate or buy things for a new space. Very specific demographic.  

I remember a while back when we were at a suburb of DC and there was a square with lots of little shops and restaurants. Great vibe and shopping experience.  One little shop I remember had some neat wallets, unique candles, quirky little trivets with fun sayings, journals, little artistic pots for plants, desk items.... fun gift stuff (Snow Goose is great but it definitely has its own unique vibe,)  Some of the shops were a mix of antiques and new items that were fun and artsy. There was a little book store paired with a restaurant, (line went out the door with people waiting to get in). Several shoe stores, some great clothing stores (including non chain mens clothing which is nice and not just suits, but modern everyday wear) etc.   Utica Square seems very limited in its offerings with too many chain stores imho.

And to really make it a destination, you would need to properly redevelop the property on the NW corner so that it tied in with Utica Square, had some shopping there on the ground floor, fine dining, a hotel, and parking for Utica Square as well.

Anywhoo, none of that is going to happen.  Utica Square will continue to be "ok".  

I think the area that has the most potential to be a main center of Tulsa's shopping/dining/living experience is around Peoria from 11th to 6th to 3rd.  That whole area is ripe for some quirky, eclectic, interesting, pedestrian friendly infill. There is more "room to grow" in this area than Cherry Street or Brookside. I could see the shopping/dining on 11th connecting to the 6th street corridor. Hopefully it will continue developing with lots of small things to establish the right environment before the bigger guys get wind of the area and start putting in the big developments which usually break up or "ruin the vibe". Will be interesting to see how it turns out!

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org