A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 14, 2018, 07:04:11 am
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Simon Outlet Mall 61st & Hwy 75  (Read 173301 times)
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
Philanthropist

« Reply #810 on: October 22, 2018, 12:47:27 pm »

When the talk of outlets coming to Tulsa, a lot of people mentioned how Oklahoma laws make it where outlet merchandise cannot be damaged/defective/reject items so they're not "true" outlets and that makes them better.

I saw an interesting statistic that about 85% of outlet merchandise is brand-new made-for-outlets. They're just lower quality products made to be sold more cheaply. Most of the time, they're entirely separate operations. The companies are doing a tier system to capture all ranges of the market. Similar to how Banana Republic, Gap and Old Navy were all owned by the same company which markets a bit pricey, medium and cheap, respectively. The outlets are just the lowest tier.

When that outlet jacket says MSRP $99 marked down to $14.99, it's just a sub-par $14.99 jacket to begin with which they slapped a brand name on to snag bargain hunters (who may have no idea what that brand quality usually looks like).

It looks like Oklahoma is about the same as anywhere else in terms of having basically all new made-for-outlet products at Outlet malls. That makes the prospect of an outlet mall even worse in my eyes. Eventually, more people will view outlets as low-quality scams rather than hubs of great deals. Hard to imagine it being much of an emerging market, but I guess they'll try to siphon every penny they can and keep building endless retail so long as those tax perks make it profitable.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #811 on: October 23, 2018, 02:48:30 pm »

When the talk of outlets coming to Tulsa, a lot of people mentioned how Oklahoma laws make it where outlet merchandise cannot be damaged/defective/reject items so they're not "true" outlets and that makes them better.

I saw an interesting statistic that about 85% of outlet merchandise is brand-new made-for-outlets. They're just lower quality products made to be sold more cheaply. Most of the time, they're entirely separate operations. The companies are doing a tier system to capture all ranges of the market. Similar to how Banana Republic, Gap and Old Navy were all owned by the same company which markets a bit pricey, medium and cheap, respectively. The outlets are just the lowest tier.

When that outlet jacket says MSRP $99 marked down to $14.99, it's just a sub-par $14.99 jacket to begin with which they slapped a brand name on to snag bargain hunters (who may have no idea what that brand quality usually looks like).

It looks like Oklahoma is about the same as anywhere else in terms of having basically all new made-for-outlet products at Outlet malls. That makes the prospect of an outlet mall even worse in my eyes. Eventually, more people will view outlets as low-quality scams rather than hubs of great deals. Hard to imagine it being much of an emerging market, but I guess they'll try to siphon every penny they can and keep building endless retail so long as those tax perks make it profitable.

Dig far enough back in this 55 page thread and I think that conclusion has been drawn several times.  Not that I'd expect you to go back several hundred comments to find that.   Grin

Does anyone know if there's been movement on the Simon development down in Jenks?  Last I was there in June, I didn't see anything which looked like it was moving forward but that was passing by on the Creek Turnpike.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #812 on: October 23, 2018, 04:27:55 pm »

Does anyone know if there's been movement on the Simon development down in Jenks?  Last I was there in June, I didn't see anything which looked like it was moving forward but that was passing by on the Creek Turnpike.

There's a sign visible from the east bound turnpike that stuff will be opening in 2020.

LeGenDz
Activist

« Reply #813 on: October 23, 2018, 10:14:32 pm »

There's a sign visible from the east bound turnpike that stuff will be opening in 2020 3020.

Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org