A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:42:26 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Comic Books - an Adult's hobby?  (Read 4764 times)
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« on: May 05, 2015, 03:57:57 pm »

While print media as a whole is going down the tubes, one traditional media form that is actually seeing INCREASED sales are comic books.

Also, while many of us read comic books as a kid, it is no longer a kid's activity. Average age of comic readers is actually in the 30's and probably wears khakis to work.

The change can be attributed to many things; Comic book movies, digital comics, and a medium that actually finds itself in a world between movie/tv and books allowing for unique storytelling and publishers to be able to still make money on output that would bankrupt a traditional publisher or studio.

Thoughts? Anyone on here an adult comic book fan?
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 04:00:32 pm »

Related: http://www.tulsaworld.com/scene/features/nerds-among-us-lovers-of-nerdy-things-come-from-all/article_aac5d763-f667-56c4-bd6e-17a4d770ed32.html
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 07:01:27 am »

Wonder if Big Bang Theory has done anything to increase adult readership.

I used to read the X-MEN but stopped after the umpteenth annual end of the world cross-over event back in the 90's. The books stopped being character driven.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2015, 08:31:33 am »

Wonder if Big Bang Theory has done anything to increase adult readership.

I used to read the X-MEN but stopped after the umpteenth annual end of the world cross-over event back in the 90's. The books stopped being character driven.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teRMsxMLVkY[/youtube]
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2015, 10:29:40 am »

Also, while many of us read comic books as a kid, it is no longer a kid's activity. Average age of comic readers is actually in the 30's and probably wears khakis to work.

Huh Huh Huh

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2015, 04:01:10 pm »

She... sounds... HIDEOUS
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2015, 04:02:28 pm »

I actually brought it up, because I've heard of young professional types doing book clubs, but with comics. And the TulsaWorld article above.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2015, 10:51:19 am »

I don’t think I’ve picked up a comic book since my early teens.  Just never really got into it.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2015, 11:24:58 am »

Back in the days of Magic, I took a summer job at a book store.  I was sorting used comics and asked about duplicate numbers on different Spiderman comics. 

One of my fellow employees explained "different series". 

I said, "How many Spiderman series are there?"

That's when all Hell broke loose.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org