A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:42:06 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Snout Houses  (Read 17937 times)
dsjeffries
City Father

« on: April 30, 2015, 10:27:02 am »

Tulsa has witnessed an invasion of Snout Houses in recent years. Sometimes disguised as McMansions, the most prominent feature of Snout Houses is their 2-, 3- or 4-car garages which project violently from the front of the house and toward the street, assaulting passersby with their ominous blank walls. Often, guests of the Snout Housers (the unfortunate occupants of said homes) have gotten lost trying to find the front door or a sign of human activity. What can we do to prevent this problem that has engulfed much of South Tulsa and the suburbs in a blaze of monotonous tract-home glory from spreading its 40-foot-wide garage tentacles further into midtown? Zoning, my friends.

Ft Worth, one of the originators of the Snout House movement, has turned its back on the monster it helped create. Much like Dr. Frankenstein, the City of Fort Worth realized its grave past mistakes and in 2007 set in place a zoning ordinance which limits the distance a garage is allowed to project in front of the main body of a house to a mere eight ( 8 ) feet (Zoning Code 6.507.D).

In this case, cutting off our snouts won't spite our faces - indeed, a snout job may just be what the doctor ordered.

Kidding aside, nothing I've found in the proposed zoning code update addresses this issue. The closest thing I've found is a minimum setback of 20 feet for garages.

If the new zoning code is our blueprint for a better Tulsa, we need to seriously consider eliminating snout houses from our repertoire.

(By the way, Fort Worth, the liberal mecca it is, requires at least 50% of residential walls be masonry, and 100% masonry if that residence is on a minor arterial or wider street.)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 10:32:06 am by dsjeffries » Logged

Change never happened because people were happy with the status quo.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 10:28:30 am »

What happened to front porches?
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2015, 10:34:39 am »

They went the way of the dodo bird about 30 years ago. Keep the kids in the back yard and there's no "Stranger Danger".
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2015, 05:07:04 pm »

Tulsa has witnessed an invasion of Snout Houses in recent years. Sometimes disguised as McMansions, the most prominent feature of Snout Houses is their 2-, 3- or 4-car garages which project violently from the front of the house and toward the street, assaulting passersby with their ominous blank walls. Often, guests of the Snout Housers (the unfortunate occupants of said homes) have gotten lost trying to find the front door or a sign of human activity. What can we do to prevent this problem that has engulfed much of South Tulsa and the suburbs in a blaze of monotonous tract-home glory from spreading its 40-foot-wide garage tentacles further into midtown? Zoning, my friends.

Ft Worth, one of the originators of the Snout House movement, has turned its back on the monster it helped create. Much like Dr. Frankenstein, the City of Fort Worth realized its grave past mistakes and in 2007 set in place a zoning ordinance which limits the distance a garage is allowed to project in front of the main body of a house to a mere eight ( 8 ) feet (Zoning Code 6.507.D).

In this case, cutting off our snouts won't spite our faces - indeed, a snout job may just be what the doctor ordered.

Kidding aside, nothing I've found in the proposed zoning code update addresses this issue. The closest thing I've found is a minimum setback of 20 feet for garages.

If the new zoning code is our blueprint for a better Tulsa, we need to seriously consider eliminating snout houses from our repertoire.

(By the way, Fort Worth, the liberal mecca it is, requires at least 50% of residential walls be masonry, and 100% masonry if that residence is on a minor arterial or wider street.)

Forcing home builders to leave enough room for a driveway beside the house would leave access to a garage behind the house.  If you want to reach out and literally touch your neighbor, you should probably have an alley behind your houses for car access.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.935228,-75.326723,3a,75y,69.5h,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sCn0wIKrZYqx8gCfvJXzszw!2e0

We have a requirement for a percentage of masonry around our neighborhood.  Some have "met the requirement" by putting about a foot high brick wall around the perimeter of the house and then putting siding or whatever on all the walls except the front wall. UGLY!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 08:07:14 pm by Red Arrow » Logged

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2015, 05:19:14 pm »

Central air conditioning, home entertainment centers, video games, texting....

PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2015, 06:09:42 pm »

It's like using a picture of your naked butt as your head shot. Very backwards and strange. I assume this happens in part to save concrete...ie: short driveways are cheaper than long ones. Of course, narrow driveways are also cheaper than wide ones, and alleyways would be even more affordable, bc the city would provide the access, and you could just build your garage where it belongs, in the back!
saintnicster
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2015, 07:50:26 pm »

Highlight the google maps link, then press the button above the editor Smiley

That, or just manually type a url tag before and after
Code:
[url]https://www.google.com/maps/@39.935228,-75.326723,3a,75y,69.5h,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sCn0wIKrZYqx8gCfvJXzszw!2e0[/url]
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2015, 08:06:48 pm »

Highlight the google maps link, then press the button above the editor Smiley

That, or just manually type a url tag before and after
Code:
[url]https://www.google.com/maps/@39.935228,-75.326723,3a,75y,69.5h,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sCn0wIKrZYqx8gCfvJXzszw!2e0[/url]

Thanks.

I managed to copy the url but it only treated part of it as a url.  The url tag worked.

I fixed my post so the url works now.

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2015, 10:46:43 pm »

Living in a house like that would make me feel depressed and lonely. Its isolating enough to travel down a road not seeing another human being but to then enter a neighborhood and then go live behind a garage like that. egads.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2015, 08:25:07 am »

I do not get the attraction.  Those are just awful.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2015, 08:36:38 am »

I guess mine is technically a snout house, although the courtyard is flush with the garage.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2015, 09:18:11 am »

It's like using a picture of your naked butt as your head shot. Very backwards and strange. I assume this happens in part to save concrete...ie: short driveways are cheaper than long ones. Of course, narrow driveways are also cheaper than wide ones, and alleyways would be even more affordable, bc the city would provide the access, and you could just build your garage where it belongs, in the back!

It's right there with no basements - it's cheaper for the builder.  He can still sell the house for the same $90 per sq ft, but put less into it.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2015, 06:34:35 pm »

Living in a house like that would make me feel depressed and lonely. Its isolating enough to travel down a road not seeing another human being but to then enter a neighborhood and then go live behind a garage like that. egads.

Our place requires a turn parallel to the street to enter the garage.  Mom and dad would not have bought a house with the garage door facing the street.  They didn't want folks looking in whenever we had the door open.

Cheesy

carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2015, 07:03:25 am »

Not a snout

PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2015, 08:50:50 am »

If the most prominent feature of the house is the garage, and you need a trained detective to find the front door--congratulations! You have a snout house.  (Snout house motto: "Showing our a$s to the street is just our way of being neighborly!")
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org