A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:56:36 am
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Davenport Urban Lofts  (Read 124947 times)
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #120 on: April 05, 2019, 02:09:24 pm »

If it gets built, that will be the best looking new construction downtown in decades.
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #121 on: April 05, 2019, 02:40:57 pm »

I noticed they were jack-hammering pavement last weekend.

I like that they're literally breaking ground.

That rendering looks awesome. I like the touches of Art Deco style trim above the windows. Let's all hope it gets built just like that. Ground floor retail. Parking Garage. High end residential condos  individuals can own. Despite all the activity and improvement in the Arts District, this spot is surrounded by empty lots and bleakness in most directions: https://www.google.com/maps/@36.1603029,-95.9947594,3a,75y,74.49h,91.05t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1spMWSmWwitzYzsxlSxFq0WQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

It could really use this as a boost. Excited to see what the Hansons have planned next to it.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #122 on: April 05, 2019, 02:48:38 pm »

There's a lot of site work going on there today. It's definitely moving.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #123 on: April 05, 2019, 03:16:24 pm »

I like that they're literally breaking ground.

That rendering looks awesome. I like the touches of Art Deco style trim above the windows. Let's all hope it gets built just like that. Ground floor retail. Parking Garage. High end residential condos  individuals can own. Despite all the activity and improvement in the Arts District, this spot is surrounded by empty lots and bleakness in most directions: https://www.google.com/maps/@36.1603029,-95.9947594,3a,75y,74.49h,91.05t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1spMWSmWwitzYzsxlSxFq0WQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

It could really use this as a boost. Excited to see what the Hansons have planned next to it.

You also have OKPop that will be going up nearby.  Really need to get that grassy lot developed across the street.  I think the city is thinking about putting a parking lot on the Meadow Gold lot.

Jacobei
Citizen

« Reply #124 on: April 06, 2019, 12:06:13 pm »

I had assumed high cost and low interest in the project had stalled it into non existence.  This explains why they wouldn't renew the Yeti and are refusing to open another bar concept in there.  Sound Pony has a lease for a few more years.  Then I'm sure they will go as well.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #125 on: April 06, 2019, 04:00:14 pm »

I had assumed high cost and low interest in the project had stalled it into non existence.  This explains why they wouldn't renew the Yeti and are refusing to open another bar concept in there.  Sound Pony has a lease for a few more years.  Then I'm sure they will go as well.

If Soundpony has to leave (I’m hoping they stay) I would think they would probably find another location around Brady.  The next frontier is west of Boulder where there hasn’t been any new development and it’s still pretty industrial.

Jacobei
Citizen

« Reply #126 on: April 06, 2019, 05:40:16 pm »

If Soundpony has to leave (I’m hoping they stay) I would think they would probably find another location around Brady.  The next frontier is west of Boulder where there hasn’t been any new development and it’s still pretty industrial.

I know that the pony has a lease fore  few more years at least.  That said, shows 4-5 times a week will be peanuts compared to the constant highway noise from 244.

Speaking of, having a building that tall in the foreground of downtown from 244 will be an interesting adjustment.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #127 on: April 09, 2019, 10:55:28 am »

I can't imagine the noise from Sound Pony would be any more significant than a show night at the Cain's and I doubt the Cain's is going anywhere.

I did see where Josh and Mike have opened the Whittier Bar at Admiral and Lewis.  Looking forward to checking that out next trip back to Tulsa.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Dspike
Activist

« Reply #128 on: April 16, 2019, 10:43:48 am »

More confirmation that the project is happening and some details on the condos:

Davenport will include 32 condos on floors four through nine and rooftop common space. It will feature 64 enclosed parking spots and ground-floor retail/office encompassing about 5,000 square feet.

The condos start in the $600,000s. Two-bedroom, two-bathroom units will average 1,700 square feet, and the three-bedroom condos will be about 2,500 square feet.

The facility will sit on what used to be Davenport Street, the "D" in the series of east-west Tulsa streets named in the early 1900s.

https://www.tulsaworld.com/business/high-rise-condominiums-coming-to-tulsa-arts-district-near-cain/article_f3ba64a3-21d9-5ee7-9e21-cdb640905927.html?fbclid=IwAR2TALbedcF9kmwgCJ44Ha6MsGTVOBdHog08FSFaepKtf6OskO7ILmrp8iE
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #129 on: April 16, 2019, 11:56:06 am »

That's good news. I hear people still offended who believe the Sound Pony will shut down because of this. I highly doubt that. Even then, what's the real loss? Harder to find your cocaine hookup?

There would be huge uproar if the high income professionals and baby boomers move in and try to force Sound Pony out. I don't see the code enforcers siding with the people who moved in to an area known for being a noisy concert district. You'd have to be an absolute moron to buy a $600k-$800k condo right there and expect that entitles you to peace and quiet (or completely misled). Maybe that's their market/sales strategy though?

I saw they have this acoustic chamber to put your head in at the sales office to show how quiet the sound proofing material they'll use is. That in no way reflects the reality of having that stuff in the walls on a big building. You can have that acoustic all around, but sound will make its way through any gaps or windows from your or any neighboring units. Also, vibrations can shake the foundation, walls and anything not secured. They'd have to make the entire room completely sealed with that for it to work close to as well as that display setup.

Regardless, this is a necessary part of making the Arts District a real community with permanent neighbors. The new residents will need to adjust and the neighborhood might have to change some things to accommodate them. Good they're adding 2 spots per unit, but I do home some can/will go car-less. Hopefully there's an incentive to go without 2 spots.
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #130 on: April 16, 2019, 12:13:51 pm »

A couple interesting parts of the article:

About 30 percent of the residential space has been sold in the building, which is scheduled for completion in the fourth quarter of 2020

Yikes! Only 30 percent!? That is quite a massive risk. Better hope you sell more or have some sort of plan to finish and lease any unsold units. That would be about 22 units needing to be sold. Seems ambitious to break ground already, but I respect the courage to move forward! I hope it is in fact done by 2020, but I doubt they'll sell anytime soon (Why aren't the renderings at least listed on MLS like other urban developments?). This seems like Urban 8, but much bigger scale.

"All humans really don't like change," she said. "You change an area and it's a little bit like, 'What? Don't do this.' We were kind of early. We were the first people to kind of come out and say let's do some development up here. Since that time, I think the landscape has changed a lot."

Sounds like she missed the whole point of the protest (to protect Cain's and Sound Pony from being shut down due to noise complaints). Has nothing to do with being against change. And the reasons for concern haven't changed a bit. I'm guessing most people just assumed it wasn't happening considering how many years it's been.

Also they think they were the first to "do some development up here"? In the Brady Arts District!?! How about David Sharp, the guy who bought in decades ago and was the biggest part of the revitalization? The Archer Flats, the Fox Hotel, the Marriot, the Metro, etc etc all beat them by years... Maybe they're referring to that specific lot or the empty lots right around it and then yes maybe that's true, but a very arbitrary feat to award themselves. Although there have been plans mentioned about things around there going back a while.

I'm going to go find the most desolate spot of a well-established downtown district and call myself the first to say let's develop there! I propose building lofts by the greyhound bus station! I'd be the first to say let's develop there! A real trailblazer in the Blue Dome District!
shavethewhales
Philanthropist

« Reply #131 on: April 16, 2019, 01:37:02 pm »

That's good news. I hear people still offended who believe the Sound Pony will shut down because of this. I highly doubt that. Even then, what's the real loss? Harder to find your cocaine hookup?

There would be huge uproar if the high income professionals and baby boomers move in and try to force Sound Pony out. I don't see the code enforcers siding with the people who moved in to an area known for being a noisy concert district. You'd have to be an absolute moron to buy a $600k-$800k condo right there and expect that entitles you to peace and quiet (or completely misled). Maybe that's their market/sales strategy though?

I saw they have this acoustic chamber to put your head in at the sales office to show how quiet the sound proofing material they'll use is. That in no way reflects the reality of having that stuff in the walls on a big building. You can have that acoustic all around, but sound will make its way through any gaps or windows from your or any neighboring units. Also, vibrations can shake the foundation, walls and anything not secured. They'd have to make the entire room completely sealed with that for it to work close to as well as that display setup.

Regardless, this is a necessary part of making the Arts District a real community with permanent neighbors. The new residents will need to adjust and the neighborhood might have to change some things to accommodate them. Good they're adding 2 spots per unit, but I do home some can/will go car-less. Hopefully there's an incentive to go without 2 spots.

Sooooo, I can definitely see both sides to the arguements about the Davenport impact. On one hand, although there's really not that much particularly special about Soundpony, it is one of the few places in DT Tulsa you can just pop in and be part of the "scene". There are cheap drinks, young people, and all kinds of interesting music that flows through there. DT Tulsa has a lot of new things and a lot of big shiny things, but unless you want to do a big ticket item like a dinner or see a major show at Cains/Brady/PAC/BOK, there's not a lot of places left to go out on the town. Maybe I need to be shown where the scene has moved to, but you pretty much just have Fur shop, the weird unicorn night club, club majestic (if you swing that way), soundpony, and the Hunt Club. Maybe a few other places have live music occasionally to varying degrees. Places like Yeti did indeed have their problems, but the music scene there was tight. If you want a truly vibrant downtown scene and culture, you can't just have places that require a ticket for entry.

If the people buying these $600,000 condos end up having complaints about sound enforcement, then there's no way code enforcement sides with existing establishments (not including Cain's). Money always wins. No more late night outdoor music... It can always be moved "elsewhere".
hello
Civic Leader

« Reply #132 on: April 16, 2019, 02:41:09 pm »

Their interviews that were published today give me little hope that they will not be exactly what most assumed when the development was announced: arrogant and entitled,with a dash of cluelessness.

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #133 on: April 16, 2019, 04:27:14 pm »

Their interviews that were published today give me little hope that they will not be exactly what most assumed when the development was announced: arrogant and entitled,with a dash of cluelessness.

If we fill an empty lot with a new mid rise building with for-sale condos why does it matter who the developers are?

DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #134 on: April 17, 2019, 07:28:46 am »

I don't see the code enforcers siding with the people who moved in to an area known for being a noisy concert district. You'd have to be an absolute moron to buy a $600k-$800k condo right there and expect that entitles you to peace and quiet (or completely misled). Maybe that's their market/sales strategy though? 

You would think so, but....

If the people buying these $600,000 condos end up having complaints about sound enforcement, then there's no way code enforcement sides with existing establishments (not including Cain's). Money always wins. No more late night outdoor music... It can always be moved "elsewhere".

100% this. I predict with 95% certainty that there will be noise complaints and the rich complainers will win. I would bet a dozen pizzas on it. Whether it's in the first year or the fifth year, or the tenth, it's going to happen. Guaranteed. To be clear, I'm not arguing this as a reason to block the development, as I'm unaware of any legal recourse to stop it, but the idea that this will certainly happen bugs the crap out of me.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org