A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:23:55 am
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Davenport Urban Lofts  (Read 124882 times)
davideinstein
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2015, 07:15:00 pm »

Also, TheArtist...have you considered moving down a block or is the rent significantly different? I think the biggest issue you all have is that you are a block too far south and the pop up shops in the Philcade confuse people with where to enter. Our shop is doing great, but I'd love to see more retail at 5th and Boston.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2015, 09:51:16 pm »

Also, TheArtist...have you considered moving down a block or is the rent significantly different? I think the biggest issue you all have is that you are a block too far south and the pop up shops in the Philcade confuse people with where to enter. Our shop is doing great, but I'd love to see more retail at 5th and Boston.

Food at 5th & Boston is one thing.  Cool & quirky isn’t quite as impulsive or intuitive.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
rdj
City Father

« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2015, 07:12:16 am »

Don't need cars to pass thru between Main & Boston or Main & Boulder.  Make them pedestrian or bicycle only.  City shouldn't have to do that.  That could be done from a private developer.

Although, does the Brady Dist still have TIF that could do something like this?

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2015, 07:27:53 am »

I think we have about as good a location as any downtown for retail.  A better location could be on Boston Ave at 5th but there aren't any spaces available.  My next best hope would be to get into the ground floor of the Enterprise building.  Hopefully by the time they have that building renovated we will be in the position to expand into a larger space and have two complimentary stores.

We are actually making a profit this year  Grin    First year was all money going in, second was putting a little more in and holding steady while growing inventory and product lines.  This year is refining product lines (whats selling whats not), squeezing out efficiencies, growing our customer base, growing our own line of more profitable products, and improving our customer experience.  (meanwhile I have been out of town most of this year which has slowed down some progress) But Chris, our "money guy" is saying we are doing surprisingly well.  Our second year we doubled what we did our first full year, and we were thinking we should shoot for 25% growth this our third year, so far we are doing double over what we did our second year.  And I can see we have room to do a LOT better.

I am really curious how our May/Mayfest numbers will do compared to last year. Looks like there will be more festival stuff going on further north "Art Car event at Living Arts" so hoping any pull towards that direction will not hurt us.  It's tricky enough being one block off Main during Mayfest.

But again, as you point out, location is key and being just a block off, a building or two away, can affect your business in a downtown environment, which is why I point out what can happen if growth is willy nilly and you plop in a pedestrian unfriendly building or even a pedestrian friendly building that is not "pedestrian lively" (one that has office or living on the ground floor instead of shopping, restaurant, services, etc.) onto a street.  

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Tulsasaurus Rex
Civic Leader

« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2015, 07:56:47 am »

They have a website, which says nothing, but I can find nothing else about the project.

Their website has been significantly updated, with floor plans, info on the developers, and other interesting clues.  For example, I do not recognize several of the "planned" developments in this map of the neighborhood. What's that between Denver and Cheyenne? Public Parking where the milk trucks are now? Office space between on Archer between Cincinnati and Detroit? And I had totally forgotten about the flats on Archer since they were mentioned in this January 2014 piece and we didn't include them in the downtown development overview we did in April. Maybe Davenport's info is outdated.

BouldinDomer
Citizen

« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2015, 09:57:21 am »

The project between Cheyenne and Denver, at least to my knowledge, is a warehouse rehab project by Garrison Hassenflu and Sager. I watched it work its way through INCOG some months back. The fact that Sager is involved gives me very little confidence it will ever happen.

www.garrisoncompanies.com
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2015, 01:02:10 pm »

It's certainly a great location.  Would love to see it developed into something. If Sager is involved though, well, we all know where that goes.
Tulsasaurus Rex
Civic Leader

« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2015, 02:57:06 pm »

Their map also claims that Cheyenne will be streetscaped and made a "connecting corridor"—something I suggested recently as it's our last all brick street and it's really in need of a clean up.
hello
Civic Leader

« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2015, 11:09:43 am »

Cheyenne needs it. Walking between the Brady to the BOK Center via Cheyenne feels sketchy. I try to avoid it, choosing Boulder or Main instead.

Tulsasaurus Rex
Civic Leader

« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2015, 05:49:51 pm »

Quote from: Tulsa World
The bottom two floors of Davenport will be used for resident parking, while the units will be on the top four.

http://m.tulsaworld.com/business/realestate/davenport-urban-lofts-to-allow-people-to-buy-lofts-in/article_3110a001-f343-5b86-ae90-9b7b6c973d09.html?mode=jqm

All but guarantees there will be no ground floor retail
LandArchPoke
Philanthropist

« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2015, 04:58:26 pm »

The project between Cheyenne and Denver, at least to my knowledge, is a warehouse rehab project by Garrison Hassenflu and Sager. I watched it work its way through INCOG some months back. The fact that Sager is involved gives me very little confidence it will ever happen.

www.garrisoncompanies.com

Do you remember what months? I'd love to go back through the agenda's to see if there's any details to pull out - or do you remember anymore about it?

I drive by this building all the time and it's one of my favorite downtown. I think the elevated covered areas facing Cheyenne would make awesome outdoor restaurant space with office/residential above.

Their website has been significantly updated, with floor plans, info on the developers, and other interesting clues.  For example, I do not recognize several of the "planned" developments in this map of the neighborhood. What's that between Denver and Cheyenne? Public Parking where the milk trucks are now? Office space between on Archer between Cincinnati and Detroit? And I had totally forgotten about the flats on Archer since they were mentioned in this January 2014 piece and we didn't include them in the downtown development overview we did in April. Maybe Davenport's info is outdated.

The Office space between Cincinnati and Detroit on Archer is owned by the BOK Foundation. I was wondering if this would be Kaiser's next museum project, but maybe they will turn it into a mixed-use project.

Also, the public parking on here where the truck lot is, I hope doesn't become a massive parking garage. I know there has been talk about building a garage in the Brady - but with the OKPOP and the Williams garage I just don't think another parking structure is needed in the Brady. I'd rather see that lot developed into apartments and retail. 
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2015, 10:26:00 pm »

Do you remember what months? I'd love to go back through the agenda's to see if there's any details to pull out - or do you remember anymore about it?

I drive by this building all the time and it's one of my favorite downtown. I think the elevated covered areas facing Cheyenne would make awesome outdoor restaurant space with office/residential above.

The Office space between Cincinnati and Detroit on Archer is owned by the BOK Foundation. I was wondering if this would be Kaiser's next museum project, but maybe they will turn it into a mixed-use project.

Also, the public parking on here where the truck lot is, I hope doesn't become a massive parking garage. I know there has been talk about building a garage in the Brady - but with the OKPOP and the Williams garage I just don't think another parking structure is needed in the Brady. I'd rather see that lot developed into apartments and retail. 

From what I gather, "the powers that be" have studied the issue and also don't think there is a need for parking in the Brady Arts District, especially now that the OK Pop will be adding another garage in the area.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
BouldinDomer
Citizen

« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2015, 07:39:37 am »

May 7, 2014. Garrison Hassenflu requested the property be taken from IL to CBD (it was approved). I think I remember the only connection to Sager in the application was an email from him to Garrison that was attached to the application.

http://www.tmapc.org/Historic%20Agenda%20Log.htm
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2015, 10:43:37 am »

Infill in the truck lot is ideal, but if it's not a possibility, I wouldn't mind it becoming even a well maintaned and landscaped surface lot with Brady Theater on display.  A parking garage would be pointless and unnecessary and would block great views of Brady Theater.  Anything is better than storing industrial milk trucks though. 
shavethewhales
Philanthropist

« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2015, 05:52:51 pm »

The lost Ogle is trying to incite some kind of gentrification freak out over this development: http://www.thelostogle.com/2015/06/23/please-build-davenport-lofts-literally-anywhere-else-in-downtown-tulsa/

It really rubs me the wrong way, mostly because of the implication that anyone in Tulsa who can afford a $450k apartment is an old grey haired suburbanite who wants to think they're still hip. The big scare is that proximity to these old geezers will make their precious hipster bar less cool.

I could understand if we were looking at another Trader Joe's situation where old niche businesses were being forced out, but they're just replacing a crappy vacant lot. Of course the street is going to be unrecognizable in a few years, it's prime real estate currently occupied by crappy metal buildings, empty lots, and truck parking. I don't think this counts as gentrification if there's barely anything there to begin with.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org