A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:29:51 am
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Davenport Urban Lofts  (Read 124944 times)
hello
Civic Leader

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2015, 07:06:14 am »

That's way above my financial threshold of pain for an apartment.

Mine as well. I like the vibe of the Brady district. I'm not interested in it becoming another Brookside.

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2015, 07:27:52 am »

It takes a mix of people to keep a place like Brady going. Come one, come all!

While I agree with DS and Williams points about streetscape, so long as street front retail remains with higher vacancy rates, it won't be included. The new building on Greenwood, Cimerex tower, main street parking garage - all chronic vacancies.

Now, they do seem to be filling up and gaining momentum and the new hotel in the Brady has had its ground floor fully occupied since it opened, But it is hard to deride a developer when it is a still seen as a gamble and people demand ready parking.

Like everyone else, I hope to see middle-class housing development too. Maybe a block of row houses with "English style" tiny backyards. Help bridge the transition from pure suburban (big lawn) and purely urban (no lawn). Gives people an option to have a grill, dog, and some plants.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2015, 08:33:04 am »

Right, unless there is retail on the ground floor that building will just act as another "gap" in any lively pedestrian fabric.

5 stories, 8 units. Would seem to suggest two per floor meaning 1st floor retail.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2015, 08:34:51 am »

5 stories, 8 units. Would seem to suggest two per floor meaning 1st floor retail.

Looks like parking.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2015, 02:48:21 pm »

Looks like parking.

My guess too, with a lobby in the center for residents to enter/exit on Main.  This would be better facing Boulder or Boston where there isn't as much of an existing concentration of retail, but other than that it's decent infill.  I would hope whatever eventually gets built across the street on the big vacant lot and just to the south of this at Main & Cameron would have some kind of retail space fronting Main.

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2015, 04:26:30 pm »

While I agree with DS and Williams points about streetscape, so long as street front retail remains with higher vacancy rates, it won't be included. The new building on Greenwood, Cimerex tower, main street parking garage - all chronic vacancies.

Now, they do seem to be filling up and gaining momentum and the new hotel in the Brady has had its ground floor fully occupied since it opened, But it is hard to deride a developer when it is a still seen as a gamble and people demand ready parking.

Like everyone else, I hope to see middle-class housing development too. Maybe a block of row houses with "English style" tiny backyards. Help bridge the transition from pure suburban (big lawn) and purely urban (no lawn). Gives people an option to have a grill, dog, and some plants.

Retail is tough in a downtown environment like ours which is why I would like to see some helpful coordination if its something we want downtown.  I wouldn't want to be in the Cimerex Tower or that new building on Greenwood either.  It took a special kind of crazy to go in where I did and a lot of other retail "entrepreneur" types are going into areas hoping that they will evolve to their favor.  I know many who aren't making money but are again, hoping that future changes will "do the right thing" and their risk will pay off.

There are no good or great areas for retail downtown right now. There are, well this will have to do and its the best I can get, sort of things.  Then we sit around and watch what goes in around us hoping that its in a direction that will help.

I know it probably seems awful to be so picky about things like this.  It really is exciting to see new growth downtown of almost any sort.

But I keep thinking, we could still be having the same amount of growth, but in a way that we could see that good chunks of it were acting together towards something really great!  Not, well it may turn out ok, it may not.  And when you look at "lessons learned" from other cities that are 20-30 years ahead of us and they are indicating that we may indeed continue to see growth over the next 20 years, and will turn around and go "Whoops, we got all that and we still aren't happy" "What did we do wrong?".   Meanwhile real businesses, livelihoods, and dreams have been on the line.  I don't want to be here 20 years from now going "See I told you so."  Trust me I DO NOT want to be in that position, because that would mean things did not turn out well.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2015, 06:38:33 pm »

I still maintain that "affordable" housing is old stuff that had deferred maintenance.

Several friends and relatives have lived in those places.  Not bad but not new.

carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2015, 06:43:32 am »

I don't think that the people that buy these will be hanging out at SoundPony
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2015, 08:54:12 am »

The price point does seem a bit odd for that neighborhood.  I wonder who their target is?  Young artistic hipsters with trust funds?
LandArchPoke
Philanthropist

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2015, 01:19:47 pm »

The price point does seem a bit odd for that neighborhood.  I wonder who their target is?  Young artistic hipsters with trust funds?

My guess is empty nesters.

I'd like to see a few small retail areas here too. I wish the city would acquire the land to the south of this and build a street that would connect Boston and Main. You could extend it to connect to Boulder as well. This block is very long and could use some sort of break up. If you built a street there, you could add retail on this project along there too and have access to parking for the building along that alley way instead of on Main Street. You could have extended this new street to Detroit where the Park is if KOTV hadn't built that massive elevated surface parking lot.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2015, 01:43:34 pm »

I’m thinking concert night or any weekend night at Soundpony won’t play well with the owners of these units.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2015, 02:13:10 pm »

My guess is empty nesters.

I'd like to see a few small retail areas here too. I wish the city would acquire the land to the south of this and build a street that would connect Boston and Main. You could extend it to connect to Boulder as well. This block is very long and could use some sort of break up. If you built a street there, you could add retail on this project along there too and have access to parking for the building along that alley way instead of on Main Street. You could have extended this new street to Detroit where the Park is if KOTV hadn't built that massive elevated surface parking lot.

The Katy RR used to go through here which is why there isn't a road between those streets; you can see the old rail bridge for it over Denver Ave.  If not a road then what about a landscaped pedestrian pathway?  

LandArchPoke
Philanthropist

« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2015, 05:02:56 pm »

The Katy RR used to go through here which is why there isn't a road between those streets; you can see the old rail bridge for it over Denver Ave.  If not a road then what about a landscaped pedestrian pathway?  

Ah ok, that's why the parcels look so odd. I figured it was some sort of older easement.

A landscape pedestrian pathway would be great too along this area. It could be extended to Cheyenne or Denver too eventually.

I'd love to see some laneways built in Tulsa. They're extremely successful in a lot of urban areas. There's several alleys in the CBD especially I think would make fantastic areas for pedestrians and small hole in the wall food places or stores. Would make great incubator spaces or space for people who want to operate smaller food places with under 10 tables.

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2015, 06:11:05 pm »

Really neat places.  Love going to those in other cities, makes you feel like your in a different world and they often lead to other interesting places (perhaps why they become this way because of that traffic)  then "pop" your back out on the regular streets again with completely different sounds and feeling.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
davideinstein
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2015, 07:10:59 pm »

Retail is tough in a downtown environment like ours which is why I would like to see some helpful coordination if its something we want downtown.  I wouldn't want to be in the Cimerex Tower or that new building on Greenwood either.  It took a special kind of crazy to go in where I did and a lot of other retail "entrepreneur" types are going into areas hoping that they will evolve to their favor.  I know many who aren't making money but are again, hoping that future changes will "do the right thing" and their risk will pay off.

There are no good or great areas for retail downtown right now. There are, well this will have to do and its the best I can get, sort of things.  Then we sit around and watch what goes in around us hoping that its in a direction that will help.

I know it probably seems awful to be so picky about things like this.  It really is exciting to see new growth downtown of almost any sort.

But I keep thinking, we could still be having the same amount of growth, but in a way that we could see that good chunks of it were acting together towards something really great!  Not, well it may turn out ok, it may not.  And when you look at "lessons learned" from other cities that are 20-30 years ahead of us and they are indicating that we may indeed continue to see growth over the next 20 years, and will turn around and go "Whoops, we got all that and we still aren't happy" "What did we do wrong?".   Meanwhile real businesses, livelihoods, and dreams have been on the line.  I don't want to be here 20 years from now going "See I told you so."  Trust me I DO NOT want to be in that position, because that would mean things did not turn out well.

I think Downtown is the best place in the state right now for retail. Open the doors and they will come.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org