A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:25:40 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gene Stipe: plain old criminal?  (Read 5569 times)
steptoe
Tourist

« on: April 27, 2015, 04:45:27 pm »

This is the forum of "non-idiots", right?

Down in McAlester they still have a street named after him, but the guy was a criminal that used his position to line his pockets, and those of his supporters, at the expense of taxpayers, is that in dispute?

I suppose he's looked at as some Robin Hood of the trailer park? He stole from the state as a whole, but greased his friends?

Just ran across some paperwork on a few of his "corporations", and can't believe he has been taken seriously.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 06:28:11 pm »

This is the forum of "non-idiots", right?

Down in McAlester they still have a street named after him, but the guy was a criminal that used his position to line his pockets, and those of his supporters, at the expense of taxpayers, is that in dispute?

I suppose he's looked at as some Robin Hood of the trailer park? He stole from the state as a whole, but greased his friends?

Just ran across some paperwork on a few of his "corporations", and can't believe he has been taken seriously.

Yep.  He was crooked as could be.  Forever. 

The thing these guys do is very simple, straightforward, and extremely effective.  And makes everyone in their districts love them.  The same formula applied with Stipe as it did with Mayor Daley, Huey Long, and all the upfront criminals who have/had an extremely loyal following for their entire careers.

They deliver.  Stipe took home a LOT of money to his district.  Daley gave Chicago police, fire, trash collection, water, sewer - all the city services that people want and expect - and don't care if there is a 10% "commission" attached.  Huey Long delivered to Louisiana in a huge way.

Each of them delivered goods/services/infrastructure to the people who elected them.  It's not just a Democrat thing (as these 3 examples), it extends to the Republicans, too.  The biggest visible difference over the decades - and yes, this is a mild generalization, but not much - is that when Democrats are doing it, the people get the benefit.  When Republicans do it, the 1% get the benefit.  Make no mistake - the graft and corruption is there no matter what.  And that will never change. 

So, do you want the get the stuff you pay for - minus 10%?  Or do you want the current state of things in Oklahoma as relate to roads, infrastructure, education (cuts of $200 + million), driving away our most talented young people because of lack of opportunity, keeping innovative companies from coming to the state (laws about taxing solar to cater to oil), and in general appearing to the outside, real world as just a bunch of "hicks from the sticks" who would rather waste time repeatedly on passing more unconstitutional laws ??

Would you rather have the mindset and reputation for the state of Failin'.  Or the steadily improving versions of all those things we had under Brad Henry?

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 08:53:23 pm »

“The Prince of Darkness”.  One of Oklahoma’s real characters.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
steptoe
Tourist

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 06:47:49 am »

So, do you want the get the stuff you pay for - minus 10%?  Or do you want the current state of things in Oklahoma as relate to roads, infrastructure, education (cuts of $200 + million), driving away our most talented young people because of lack of opportunity, keeping innovative companies from coming to the state (laws about taxing solar to cater to oil), and in general appearing to the outside, real world as just a bunch of "hicks from the sticks" who would rather waste time repeatedly on passing more unconstitutional laws ??

Would you rather have the mindset and reputation for the state of Failin'.  Or the steadily improving versions of all those things we had under Brad Henry?

Like an empty, crumbling dog food plant?

Why boil and sanitize things down the lesser of evils, or political compromises? A crook is a crook. Just as there is no honor among thieves, their is no nobility in screwing Peter to pay Paul. Stipe tossing chicklets to the commoners, and corrupting his jurisdiction while amassing a fortune? Just another sewer rat preying on weakness and ignorance.

Maybe the legislature can pass some more stupid laws that prevent naming public avenues after convicted felons?
rdj
City Father

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 09:18:55 am »

Welcome to the forum.

Random first two posts.

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2015, 09:24:31 am »

Like an empty, crumbling dog food plant?

Why boil and sanitize things down the lesser of evils, or political compromises? A crook is a crook. Just as there is no honor among thieves, their is no nobility in screwing Peter to pay Paul. Stipe tossing chicklets to the commoners, and corrupting his jurisdiction while amassing a fortune? Just another sewer rat preying on weakness and ignorance.

Maybe the legislature can pass some more stupid laws that prevent naming public avenues after convicted felons?

Well, you probably have been watching for some time the laws our legislature passes...there is a thread on the topic here.

Yep.  That's what I occasionally refer to as "ignorance and stupidstition" around here.  It is the way it is.  I truly appreciate your inner guiding light and apparent energy level, and wish you the very best with that!!  Intellectually, I am with you 150%.  Physically, I will watch the action, while shouting out encouragement!!  I don't do street protests anymore.  I got my tear-gas quota at TU.  

Have also learned over the years that it does not change in any substantial, true fashion.  One thing you can do is "proselytize"....use every opportunity to provide information to others you have contact with, and encourage them to vote - preferably against every incumbent, every time - in the attempt to at least keep amateurs in office so that they are not as entrenched in the system and knowledgeable about the ways of crime/corruption.  It doesn't take long for them to learn - that is one of those topics in law school that outside world doesn't hear much about.  

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.

And yes, welcome to the forum!!  Enjoy!!

As it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be.  World without end...Amen.  Amen.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2015, 09:25:40 am »

Oh,... I forgot...make sure your 'body armor' is in good condition when you step into the arena.

AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2015, 09:27:54 am »

That is Little Dixie. No surprise that in the land of the blind they trusted a one eyed man. Especially one with a law degree. I'm pretty sure "Oh brother where art thou" was based on south eastern Okla.

H is right though about his longevity. During the Tammany Hall era in NYC, a local businessman was asked about what constituted graft/corruption. He said "good graft" was when you paid your local borough politician for a sidewalk in front of your store. "Bad graft was when he didn't come through".

He is legendary in those parts because they somehow perceived him as standing up to "the man". They make similar mistakes in erecting statues and naming streets all over the South

onward...through the fog
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org