A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:51:36 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thunder fire coach Scott Brooks after seven seasons...  (Read 14712 times)
Laramie
City Father

« on: April 22, 2015, 12:42:55 pm »

Oklahoma City Thunder fire coach Scott Brooks after seven seasons.

"This is an extremely difficult decision on many levels," general manager Sam Presti said in a statement. "This decision is not a reflection of this past season, but rather an assessment of what we feel is necessary at this point in time in order to continually evolve, progress and sustain. We determined that, in order to stimulate progress and put ourselves in the best position next season and as we looked to the future, a transition of this kind was necessary for the program."

http://espn.go.com/nba/

“Think for yourself and let others enjoy the privilege of doing so too.” ― Voltaire
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 01:13:28 pm »

In other words, "We have not made it far enough in the playoffs and the finals often enough that you're fired and we will find someone else to get us a championship."

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 01:35:02 pm »

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 02:09:14 pm »

Are coaches in the NBA much more than baby sitters and figureheads?

This guy had one bad season, plagued with injury, and boot!

I don't really care, not an NBA or Thunder fan, but still...

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 03:08:34 pm »

Are coaches in the NBA much more than baby sitters and figureheads?

This guy had one bad season, plagued with injury, and boot!

I don't really care, not an NBA or Thunder fan, but still...

In pro sports the coaches are disposable.  Couple of bad seasons and they become the first thing to replace. The players have better contracts then the coaches do.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2015, 03:20:01 pm »

Someone a little more knowledgable about B-Ball than I am said his “offensive sets” weren’t all that great- whatever that means.  The talent has been carrying the team, essentially.  That becomes obvious when your two key players lose a lot of playing time due to injuries.  I think the ownership felt they should have already won a championship by now, rather than this being a reflection on this season’s results.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2015, 08:28:16 pm »

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2015, 10:29:54 pm »

One of the five best movies ever made.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2015, 11:00:13 pm »

One of the five best movies ever made.

It's my favorite without doubt.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
rebound
City Father

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2015, 08:27:03 am »

Someone a little more knowledgable about B-Ball than I am said his “offensive sets” weren’t all that great- whatever that means.  The talent has been carrying the team, essentially.  That becomes obvious when your two key players lose a lot of playing time due to injuries.  I think the ownership felt they should have already won a championship by now, rather than this being a reflection on this season’s results.

Agreed.  I'm not a huge watcher of pro basketball on a regular basis, but I love the game in general.  A year ago during the NBA playoffs, my son's club BB team coach asked the group (about twenty 7th grade boys and some parents) "can anybody tell me the one leading NBA team that runs mostly a half-court set offense?"  Among all the parents and kids, only one kid raised his hand and said "the Spurs".  And he was right.  Almost all NBA teams rely primarily on the transition game, which relies heavily on the pure talent of the individuals rather than offensive sets and actual "plays".  That's why the Spurs are so consistently good, because they exploit that difference.  Add better technical sets to OKC, with the talent they currently have, and they could run the table. 

Laramie
City Father

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2015, 06:49:04 pm »

Billy Donovan to lead Thunder:

Billy Donovan 49, 1996–2015 - University of Florida (NCAA I)

In 21 seasons as a collegiate head coach, Donovan has a record of 502-206 with 14 NCAA Tournament appearances and four visits to the Final Four. In addition to his two national championships, the Gators also reached the Final Four in 2000 and 2014.

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2015/04/30/billy-donovan-headed-to-oklahoma-city/

“Think for yourself and let others enjoy the privilege of doing so too.” ― Voltaire
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2015, 09:41:43 pm »

Let’s hope it translates into NBA wins.  This was definitely the best coaching situation to open up in the NBA in the last few years.  Not that I’m all that sharp on everything NBA, but the Thunder finally did usher in some interest in basketball for my wife and I.  They obviously have a ton of talent, but they have to cash in when Westbrook and KD are injured and they have to develop the guys who will pick up the slack when the inevitable happens with their starters.

Laramie
City Father

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2015, 08:11:23 am »

Agree,

If the Thunder can resign Enes Kanter (2015-16); then Kevin Durant & Russell Westbrook along with Steven Adams they should be an NBA championship  caliber franchise.  Smiley

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org