A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:31:26 am
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 143   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Downtown Development Overview  (Read 1076774 times)
ComeOnBenjals
Civic Leader

« Reply #2025 on: October 19, 2022, 08:24:27 am »

^Great news! Was hoping that corner wouldn't sit vacant too long. Love Cabin Boys... I think there's some stiff competition on the top Tulsa brewery though. Solera would definitely have a word.
LandArchPoke
Philanthropist

« Reply #2026 on: October 19, 2022, 10:34:20 am »

Interesting plans for Center of the Universe. Not sure what I think about the canopy structure I think it distracts from tower sculpture already there and just covers it up. Rest of it looks nice though - I really hope they are able to figure out how to preserve the acoustics but I'm afraid the renovations to the structure of the bridge underneath will end up damaging it.

I wish they would take the southern end of the bridge and build out a plaza in front of Union Station as well and get rid of that parking lot. Would make the walk between the Arts District and Blue Dome a lot nicer and more pleasant than the parking lot or blank walls of the Williams complex.

https://www.kjrh.com/news/local-news/center-of-the-universe-redesign-ready-for-public-input

Can leave public comments here too:

https://downtowntulsa.com/about/programs-and-initiatives/recentertheuniverse

« Last Edit: October 19, 2022, 10:37:30 am by LandArchPoke » Logged
tulsabug
Civic Leader

« Reply #2027 on: October 30, 2022, 11:09:15 am »

Seems like that canopy would get really dirty and not be remotely easy to clean. The amount of dust the railroad tracks kick up, not to mention all the automotive traffic in the area, would really leave a nice layer of scum on it daily. Now - I'm sure the city is planning on regular cleaning, but they seem to be incapable to maintaining much of anything. I think the funding for new remodel should include an endowment to maintain it for the foreseeable future (something well beyond the $250,000 already included in the budget).
« Last Edit: October 30, 2022, 11:11:11 am by tulsabug » Logged
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #2028 on: October 30, 2022, 05:57:46 pm »

Interesting plans for Center of the Universe. Not sure what I think about the canopy structure I think it distracts from tower sculpture already there and just covers it up. Rest of it looks nice though - I really hope they are able to figure out how to preserve the acoustics but I'm afraid the renovations to the structure of the bridge underneath will end up damaging it.

I cant see how adding all those reflective surfaces would not wreck the acoustics.  Sometimes improvements, arent.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
ComeOnBenjals
Civic Leader

« Reply #2029 on: October 30, 2022, 06:17:28 pm »

Hadn't thought about the awning's cleanliness issue. Hopefully they don't mess up the acoustics, but this area needs some serious TLC. The concrete is a total patchwork and there are bricks missing that need to be replaced.
D-TownTulsan
Activist

« Reply #2030 on: October 31, 2022, 09:17:02 am »

Hopefully the acoustics don't get screwed up. However anything to make the walk/experience less spooky I am  all for. Every time I take someone to see it they reaction was usually kind of creeped out by the surroundings instead of the actual attraction lol
ComeOnBenjals
Civic Leader

« Reply #2031 on: November 16, 2022, 09:35:42 am »

Sinclair building on 5th street is finally fenced off. Looks like they're beginning demolition work. Excited for that corner to be activated, it's a really cool building.
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #2032 on: February 01, 2023, 12:18:36 pm »

Fat Guys posted that their downtown location is closed because the lease expired. Is there a plan for the spot or are they charging too much? I know there's been some consternation about the owners of that block.
LandArchPoke
Philanthropist

« Reply #2033 on: February 01, 2023, 03:55:11 pm »

Fat Guys posted that their downtown location is closed because the lease expired. Is there a plan for the spot or are they charging too much? I know there's been some consternation about the owners of that block.

The Greenwood Chamber is very, very difficult to deal with on leases, etc. I'm not surprised, they've done this to a lot of businesses. My guess is the Chamber either didn't get around to renewing/signing a new lease or never responded to them about renewing. Likely they want to lease it out to someone else. I remember Fat Guys lease got a lot of attention originally given it's not a black owned business and it was seen as a 'gentrifier' of sorts since it was opening in relation to the ballpark. 

I'm sure Fat Guys will be able to find another spot downtown.
shavethewhales
Philanthropist

« Reply #2034 on: February 01, 2023, 03:59:46 pm »

It was a bad location anyway. I don't think I've ever stopped in and never even considered it as an option for a meal downtown because it was so out of the way. If they find a spot in the blue dome that will be heavy burger competition between McNellies, Rabbit Hole, and them.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #2035 on: February 01, 2023, 09:16:02 pm »

Never really like Fat Guys and it’s a dumb name.  Wish we didn’t have it at the airport.

I’d like to see an ethnic restaurant, we don’t have any Indian or Thai food downtown (Kai is Vietnamese)

LandArchPoke
Philanthropist

« Reply #2036 on: February 02, 2023, 11:51:08 am »

It was a bad location anyway. I don't think I've ever stopped in and never even considered it as an option for a meal downtown because it was so out of the way. If they find a spot in the blue dome that will be heavy burger competition between McNellies, Rabbit Hole, and them.

Greenwood is transitioning to a tourist zone - it's one of the busier intersections downtown now just about every time I'm down there. Always people walking around. Something that plays more into the history of Greenwood longterm is a better use of that space. While I like the burgers, there's nothing 'charming' about it or that space and could definitely be used better by another tenant.

I agree, they really need to either be closer to the office towers or in the middle of the bars closer to their target demo. I think they should go into the former Taco Bueno/Burger King location at Main and 4th.

Never really like Fat Guys and it’s a dumb name.  Wish we didn’t have it at the airport.

I’d like to see an ethnic restaurant, we don’t have any Indian or Thai food downtown (Kai is Vietnamese)

Given how greasy the burgers are it's probably the appropriate name haha. I like them, but they are not something I seek out regularly because of that. It's more of a 1 or 2 times a year thing I'll grab one.

Ethnic or just something more destinational in that spot would be much better. We do need more place like Kai - out of all the places downtown it's a top 5 in terms of my favorites and it's really fast, cheap, and very high quality food.
LandArchPoke
Philanthropist

« Reply #2037 on: February 02, 2023, 11:57:56 am »

Also to probably no surprise - Univ of Tulsa is buying the AHHA building (essentially GKFF is buying it just through TU)

I'm assuming TU reversed most of the plans to get rid of it's arts programs? Anyone have a clue what has been going on internally with that? I was hoping student and alumni blow back would eventually get them to reverse course on it, Tulsa needs a university that has programs like that.
brettakins
Activist

« Reply #2038 on: February 02, 2023, 09:58:14 pm »

https://www.news9.com/story/63d9988cf526ae072c283b76/former-nba-player-kevin-johnsons-restaurant-coming-to-tulsa

Fixins Soul Kitchen is expanding outside California. The Sacramento-based soul food restaurant founded by Kevin Johnson, the former NBA star and Sacramento mayor, is opening up a new location in Tulsa, Oklahoma. The restaurant confirmed to KCRA 3 that the new location will open at 222 N. Detroit Ave in downtown Tulsa.

tulsabug
Civic Leader

« Reply #2039 on: February 03, 2023, 06:03:44 am »

That's great but also weird. Wonder why here?
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 143   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org