A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:48:49 am
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 143   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Downtown Development Overview  (Read 1076715 times)
Dspike
Activist

« Reply #1680 on: April 20, 2020, 11:40:37 am »

Thanks for the pictures. I think you may have rediscovered Standpipe Hill just north of downtown:

https://www.newson6.com/story/25761541/historical-marker-dedicated-on-standpipe-hill

https://thislandpress.com/2012/08/04/the-hills-have-eyes/
Urban Enthusiast
Activist

« Reply #1681 on: April 20, 2020, 04:24:00 pm »

Is your vantage spot by the OSU Tower? 

I think you may have rediscovered Standpipe Hill

I was not at the OSU Tower spot, but just west of it.  I suppose I was on Standpipe Hill, just the part of it that is between Boston and MLK.  On E Fairview Street just east of Boston there's a 90 degree turn.  I parked there and walked up this hill.  It's a really great spot. 
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1682 on: April 20, 2020, 04:31:47 pm »

I was not at the OSU Tower spot, but just west of it.  I suppose I was on Standpipe Hill, just the part of it that is between Boston and MLK.  On E Fairview Street just east of Boston there's a 90 degree turn.  I parked there and walked up this hill.  It's a really great spot. 

This article says that the Greenwood Museum won't be located at the Greenwood Cultural Center, that block would be a good place for the museum to be built. They could try to incorporate some of the ruined building foundations into the center.

https://www.tulsaworld.com/news/1921-tulsa-race-massacre-history-center-wont-be-built-on-greenwood-cultural-center-property/article_6f89a62a-2a1e-5e9f-9b00-648c7df59bd9.html
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #1683 on: April 21, 2020, 11:59:19 am »

^ I've always thought that area right there would make a good spot for urban-format OSU student housing that could tie into the Arts District across the highway.  

This same angle a year from now should have WPX topped out and Davenport Lofts finished.  A wide angle shot would capture The View which will also be topped out and structural steel framing well underway at OKPOP

ComeOnBenjals
Civic Leader

« Reply #1684 on: April 23, 2020, 12:56:54 pm »

Walked by Davenport/OKPop area today... absolutely bustling with activity. OKPop work in particular has seemed to really taken off.

shavethewhales
Philanthropist

« Reply #1685 on: April 28, 2020, 08:18:45 am »

Looks like 21 Greenwood is either being shortened or moved southward to allow for the construction of the Greenwood Rising History Center right on the corner of Archer and Greenwood. Sounds like a great win-win to me. This is turning into such a busy street. 

https://www.newson6.com/story/5ea83035dc13210c1f3ba684/1921-tulsa-race-massacre-centennial-commission-announces-new-location-for-history-center
ComeOnBenjals
Civic Leader

« Reply #1686 on: April 28, 2020, 08:21:45 am »

Interesting development... I think it's great.  This'll increase the density of the area, while also honoring the history.

What do you guys think about the museum's design?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 08:24:18 am by ComeOnBenjals » Logged
Jacobei
Citizen

« Reply #1687 on: April 28, 2020, 10:44:38 am »

Looks like 21 Greenwood is either being shortened or moved southward to allow for the construction of the Greenwood Rising History Center right on the corner of Archer and Greenwood. Sounds like a great win-win to me. This is turning into such a busy street. 

https://www.newson6.com/story/5ea83035dc13210c1f3ba684/1921-tulsa-race-massacre-centennial-commission-announces-new-location-for-history-center

I was worried that what this meant was that the project was being scrapped because of a bleak Real estate outlook for the next few years.  I really hope that we are able to have both projects!
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #1688 on: April 28, 2020, 02:01:53 pm »

I liked the previous location better since it tied into the Cultural Center and continued Greenwood's development north of the highway.  Anyone know the issue with the Greenwood Cultural Center and having this located next to it? 

Here is the new version next to GreenArch II

And the previous location north of 244

« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 02:05:27 pm by SXSW » Logged

Urban Enthusiast
Activist

« Reply #1689 on: April 28, 2020, 04:17:24 pm »

Interesting development... I think it's great.  This'll increase the density of the area, while also honoring the history.

What do you guys think about the museum's design?

The new design seems more urban to me.  I guess because it is multistory.  I like the cantilevered awning that hangs out a bit over Greenwood.  But I do agree with SXSW about the previous location continuing development northward.  All in all, it seems like a win-win in that 21 Greenwood is still happening. 
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1690 on: April 28, 2020, 07:00:25 pm »

I like the building better now. And I think the location, the previous one seemed smashed up against the IDL as an afterthought.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #1691 on: April 28, 2020, 08:55:28 pm »

I still would like to see the Greenwood Cultural Center renovated/expanded and the OK Jazz HOF relocated there.  That would free up Union Depot to become a train station/transit center again.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 02:43:10 pm by SXSW » Logged

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1692 on: April 28, 2020, 10:24:23 pm »

I still would like to see the Greenwood Cultural Center renovated/expanded and the OK Jazz HOF relocated there.  That would free up Union Depot to become a train station/transit center again.

There's no reason the Union Depot can't house both the Jazz HOF and a transit hub. It should.
Laramie
City Father

« Reply #1693 on: May 01, 2020, 11:58:38 am »

There's no reason the Union Depot can't house both the Jazz HOF and a transit hub. It should.

You want your transit hub to be free of distractions & poised for growth; there are many safety issues involved with an intermodal transit hub.  Tulsa has a beautiful Union Station Depot; it's similar to Santa Fe Station Depot in OKC but appears to be a much larger & solid structure.  Turning it into a transit hub--mini Grand Central Station will provide room for growth for when Tulsa adds what hopefully will become an I-44 splinter for the I-35 Super Highway corridor high speed rail or add a streetcar.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 12:00:18 pm by Laramie » Logged

“Think for yourself and let others enjoy the privilege of doing so too.” ― Voltaire
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1694 on: May 01, 2020, 12:10:58 pm »

You want your transit hub to be free of distractions & poised for growth; there are many safety issues involved with an intermodal transit hub.  Tulsa has a beautiful Union Station Depot; it's similar to Santa Fe Station Depot in OKC but appears to be a much larger & solid structure.  Turning it into a transit hub--mini Grand Central Station will provide room for growth for when Tulsa adds what hopefully will become an I-44 splinter for the I-35 Super Highway corridor high speed rail or add a streetcar.

Union Station was a beautiful old building.  I can remember taking trips to Kansas on the train when very young.

By 1970 it was a wreck - falling apart, filled with debris and pieces of the stonework scattered all over.  I got a small piece of stone trim from the main room, about 2' long.  Beautiful place!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 143   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org