A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:33:48 am
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 143   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Downtown Development Overview  (Read 1076775 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1575 on: November 16, 2019, 01:44:45 pm »

I would point out that there are still plenty of vacant places where local businesses could go, even right near where this is.  So I don't think its pushing out any locals. Actually been very frustrated that more local retail offerings haven't come to my area.  Feel really alone in my spot.  More retail in one location helps draw attention/promotion and more foot traffic.  Is this ideal? No.  But at least another spot that has sat dark and empty for decades now will be alive and lit up. And agin, there are still lots of empty spots nearby if any local retail wants to move in!  Would love more retail neighbors! Please! lol.

Are they still doing pop up shops across the street in Philcade or has that been made permanent space for something else?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1576 on: November 17, 2019, 07:47:45 pm »

We will be back in Tulsa the week of Thanksgiving.  There's always more to see and do than we have time for, what are the "must" new places to see or eat since we were last there in April?

Not in Tulsa - Broken Arrow.  Friends out there told us about a new Mexican place (6 days now) called Senor Pancho.  SE corner 81st & 145th, almost hidden in a small shopping center there.  So we tried it yesterday.  Exceptional.  And the 'small' frozen margarita is amazing, so I am told.  Not that small.  By SWMBO.  I don't drink them but she said it was the best, and only $5.  Will be our new go to place when Mexican is on the menu.  Like maybe tomorrow....

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #1577 on: November 18, 2019, 02:32:52 pm »

I would point out that there are still plenty of vacant places where local businesses could go, even right near where this is.  So I don't think its pushing out any locals. Actually been very frustrated that more local retail offerings haven't come to my area.  Feel really alone in my spot.  More retail in one location helps draw attention/promotion and more foot traffic.  Is this ideal? No.  But at least another spot that has sat dark and empty for decades now will be alive and lit up. And agin, there are still lots of empty spots nearby if any local retail wants to move in!  Would love more retail neighbors! Please! lol.

Yes still far too many retail vacancies in the CBD. It seems the Arts District has taken quite a few of the up and coming local retail and restaurants.

I guess it would be better to have chains go in than nothing, but I do appreciate how there are dozens of local places downtown.

When I travel to other downtowns, I am a bit dismayed by the high number of generic chains in many of them. Bricktown in OKC is the epitome of chains concentrated in one spot. They essentially built a suburban shopping mall in the core of downtown. It does bring in people, but also doesn't feel unique (especially when the canal concept is taken straight from San Antonio) and is not something I'd ever travel to OKC for. I'd take SA's canal over OKC's any day. Good on OKC trying something, even if it's a rip off. Not a great example of local urban development, even if it's a mildly successful outdoor mall or tourist draw.

Fortunately OKC has other parts with more local places. Automobile Alley and Midtown/Paseo have local culture and are worth the visit.
ComeOnBenjals
Civic Leader

« Reply #1578 on: November 18, 2019, 02:51:04 pm »

I would agree with the sentiment on Bricktown. I've never personally found it all that appealing.. it's pretty stale and lifeless in my opinion.

I think anything (DGX) that can get people walking around downtown is a net positive. I walk downtown every morning/evening, and it stills shocks me how few people there are. The CBD has so much potential... there's still a bunch of empty buildings on Main St that are begging to be turned into something.  There's a new brewery going in around there, so hopefully that gets some momentum going.

Obviously the Arts district is a priority for developers right now, which makes sense. I think in the next 3-5 years, there will be a gradual shift towards focusing on the core of downtown.
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #1579 on: November 18, 2019, 04:06:06 pm »

The debate about chains always ends up being circular.  If chains aren’t interested in your downtown, that’s not a sign of success or progress.  I also think you have to consider chains in different types of categories.  Chains in the areas of groceries and toiletries are more practical and are a lot less concerning than restaurants or clothing, etc.

That is why I think this is a really interesting concept.  It is very positive that Dollar General is trying out a relatively new concept in Tulsa.  This really reminds me more of the type of Walgreen’s you see in NYC.  Given the way housing is dispersed throughout downtown, it makes more sense to have several stores like this in strategic locations rather than one much larger full-service grocery store (although I would love that, we seem to be a long way from the necessary head count).
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1580 on: November 18, 2019, 09:24:52 pm »

I would agree with the sentiment on Bricktown. I've never personally found it all that appealing.. it's pretty stale and lifeless in my opinion.

I think anything (DGX) that can get people walking around downtown is a net positive. I walk downtown every morning/evening, and it stills shocks me how few people there are. The CBD has so much potential... there's still a bunch of empty buildings on Main St that are begging to be turned into something.  There's a new brewery going in around there, so hopefully that gets some momentum going.

Obviously the Arts district is a priority for developers right now, which makes sense. I think in the next 3-5 years, there will be a gradual shift towards focusing on the core of downtown.

"Contrived" is my word for Bricktown.  Other than that, it checks a lot of boxes when it comes to pedestrian-friendly development and it's somewhat vibrant on any given night.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
ComeOnBenjals
Civic Leader

« Reply #1581 on: December 02, 2019, 11:04:23 am »

Private software engineering school set to open third U.S. campus in Tulsa's Arts District next year

The George Kaiser Family Foundation has spoken softly — and only when asked — about its involvement in bringing a Holberton School to Tulsa.

The truth is that the foundation was instrumental in attracting the software engineering school to town, and on Tuesday Holberton officials will hold a press conference to explain why that’s good news for potential students and for the city as a whole.

“What we wanted to do, in partnership with the George Kaiser Family Foundation, is build a really equitable and accessible program,” said Libby Wuller, executive director of Holberton Tulsa.

Wuller said Tulsa’s Holberton School could open its doors at 15 N. Cheyenne Ave. as early as January with 30 to 50 students. She expects that number to increase in time, and encourages individuals interested in the program to apply online at holbertonschool.com.

The only requirements are that a person be 18 years old and have a high school diploma, or an equivalency degree. The application process is free.

https://www.tulsaworld.com/news/private-software-engineering-school-set-to-open-third-u-s/article_bec05333-e9df-5e5c-a570-60483738c5b4.html
Markk
Civic Leader

« Reply #1582 on: December 02, 2019, 03:10:12 pm »

The lot to the west of the new Iron Gate facility is being graded.  What is going in there?
ComeOnBenjals
Civic Leader

« Reply #1583 on: December 04, 2019, 04:24:36 pm »

Not all that exciting of a picture, but they're really getting going on the Reunion building.

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1584 on: December 04, 2019, 04:30:14 pm »

Not all that exciting of a picture, but they're really getting going on the Reunion building.

That's a great building.
ComeOnBenjals
Civic Leader

« Reply #1585 on: December 09, 2019, 09:46:25 am »

Walked by the Dollar General store, and they have been flying. Already have shelves full of items. I doubt it'll be more than a couple weeks before it opens.
Markk
Civic Leader

« Reply #1586 on: December 09, 2019, 11:02:50 am »

The lot to the west of the new Iron Gate facility is being graded.  What is going in there?

They've done more work and it's apparently a parking lot.
ComeOnBenjals
Civic Leader

« Reply #1587 on: December 11, 2019, 04:25:17 pm »

DGX sign is up. Looks like it can't be more than a couple weeks out. From the sidewalk it looks bigger than I had anticipated.

MostSeriousness
Civic Leader

« Reply #1588 on: December 12, 2019, 12:07:35 pm »

Tulsa World had an article about a soft open soon, with planned grand opening January 11th
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #1589 on: December 13, 2019, 03:29:30 pm »

I've heard the Fairfield in the Arts District will get a new single level parking structure that will be over it's existing small lot to the east.  Construction starts early next year. 

Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 143   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org