A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 08:39:14 am
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 143   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Downtown Development Overview  (Read 1081797 times)
ComeOnBenjals
Civic Leader

« Reply #1560 on: November 12, 2019, 12:21:55 pm »

Here is a development summary that was presented to the TDA board:

http://www.tulsadevelopmentauthority.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/Presentation-Mayors-Office-of-Economic-Development-Kian-Kamas.pdf

Lots of great stuff going on around downtown. Of particular interest for me was the notes on slide three. Under Downtown development projects, it notes that there are several potential developments coming with announcements possible in coming weeks.

Thanks for posting! I'm excited to see what those announcements might be.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1561 on: November 12, 2019, 02:29:04 pm »

The Boxyard has added a couple new stores replacing some of the ones that have either grown larger or reverted back to online. 918Skate is probably the newest tenant that's finding its footing. Open Container and Riley's Wine and Spirits both have increased their footprint, adding a restaurant to the former bar-only concept, and an event space to the liquor store option.

Sabores is still fairly new in the game, but great food options.

I love "Open Container" very clever!

If I had started my brewpub in Tulsa instead of out here in New Mexico, I would have looked into the Boxyard. 

I hope Casey and Nelson are doing good with this project.  Surplus containers are so incredibly useful and cheap vs. constructing something with steel like that.  They make great office and warehouse space when you add windows and doors.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
MostSeriousness
Civic Leader

« Reply #1562 on: November 12, 2019, 03:04:16 pm »

There is another Boxyard that they're doing in North Carolina: https://boxyard.rtp.org/

I remember a meeting when The Boxyard was still under construction and a hope, not a rumor or plan, that an OKC concept would be in their future. Not sure if this replaced that idea, or if it's still a possibility to expand the concept.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1563 on: November 13, 2019, 12:07:25 pm »

There is another Boxyard that they're doing in North Carolina: https://boxyard.rtp.org/

I remember a meeting when The Boxyard was still under construction and a hope, not a rumor or plan, that an OKC concept would be in their future. Not sure if this replaced that idea, or if it's still a possibility to expand the concept.

Do we know if Nelson-Stowe is a part of this or simply allowed use of their photos?  Seems like they are stretched pretty tight already.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
MostSeriousness
Civic Leader

« Reply #1564 on: November 14, 2019, 07:50:26 am »

Saw some news releases featuring Stowe, but didn't see mention of "Nelson-Stowe" or anything beyond Casey Stowe as the designer. He may have, for lack of a better word, franchised the idea and concept to that NC foundation and they're doing all the work
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #1565 on: November 14, 2019, 11:35:39 am »

Saw some news releases featuring Stowe, but didn't see mention of "Nelson-Stowe" or anything beyond Casey Stowe as the designer. He may have, for lack of a better word, franchised the idea and concept to that NC foundation and they're doing all the work

Could be similar to what Eliot Nelson is doing with Dust Bowl where they are planning to open one in St Louis (in addition to the original in Tulsa and the one in OKC). 

brettakins
Activist

« Reply #1566 on: November 14, 2019, 08:14:40 pm »

https://www.fox23.com/news/dollar-general-to-introduce-new-concept-store-in-downtown-tulsa/1008758776

TULSA, Okla. - QUICK FACTS:

Dollar General will open a new concept store at East 5th and South Boston in downtown Tulsa.
DGX is not the same as the traditional Dollar General. It caters mostly to grab and go food and snacks.
There are few DGX stores in existence across the country as the new concept takes off for the company. Nashville and Cleveland have DGX stores in their downtown areas.
Dollar General will open a new concept store at East 5th and South Boston in downtown Tulsa.
FOX23 found a building permit for Dollar General's next generation concept store DGX.
DGX is not the same as the traditional Dollar General. It caters mostly to grab and go food and snacks.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 08:19:05 pm by brettakins » Logged
D-TownTulsan
Activist

« Reply #1567 on: November 15, 2019, 07:52:50 am »

^^ Well that's a funky little concept there. Hope it works out. Reminds me of the "Worlds Smallest Wal-Mart" (Smallmart) on campus in Fayetteville. Kind of a tough spot to get something like this started unless you are really just catering to the downtown work crew.
shavethewhales
Philanthropist

« Reply #1568 on: November 15, 2019, 08:28:49 am »

That's pretty cool. Dollar General isn't my favorite company, but this type of thing is needed downtown. Looking at the photos here: https://www.cspdailynews.com/company-news/peek-dollar-generals-latest-dgx-c-store#page=4 it looks like they have a few grocery items. Not a lot of stuff, but would cut down on grocery store trips outside the CBD for little things.
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #1569 on: November 15, 2019, 09:58:56 am »

That's pretty cool. Dollar General isn't my favorite company, but this type of thing is needed downtown. Looking at the photos here: https://www.cspdailynews.com/company-news/peek-dollar-generals-latest-dgx-c-store#page=4 it looks like they have a few grocery items. Not a lot of stuff, but would cut down on grocery store trips outside the CBD for little things.

I'm glad someone is doing something like this in downtown.

Imagine how profitable a QT kitchen would do downtown (especially from lunch and after work crowd - order on an app and pick it up on way to car). QT isn't quite as forward thinking in terms of urban planning and I doubt they want a gasless store (besides one in DT Atlanta?). I'm guessing QT makes so much on a normal store, DT Tulsa isn't even on their radar. That would be a good way for them to "throw the dog a bone" just to have their name and brand as part of the fabric of DT Tulsa.

But to be honest, more chains in DT Tulsa means fewer local places. This C Store and Jimmy Johns take a bit from all the local lunch places around 4th and Main. So I don't mind chains avoiding DT Tulsa, as that gives local places more of a market, but also is a sign that the population and traffic in DT is really light or at least inconsistent compared to 71st and Memorial or 61st and Yale. On the other hand, Jimmy Johns, Bueno, BK and DGX moving in are signs that the tide is turning. We might hail it at first, but having been to so many American downtowns full of all the same places (Walgreens, 7/11, McD, etc), it is a bit monotonous, soul-less and ultimately bad for local places. Great for landlords though.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 10:02:42 am by TulsaGoldenHurriCAN » Logged
ComeOnBenjals
Civic Leader

« Reply #1570 on: November 15, 2019, 10:10:40 am »

I think that's great.. anything that makes downtown more livable is a win in my book. I think the location is pretty nice as well. Right beneath the Meridia, 1-2 minute walk from the Mayo Apts, Vandever, and Art Deco Lofts. 4-5 minute walk for Adams, Palace and soon to be Reunion Apartments.   Will be nice to be able to grab a few things here and there.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 10:21:25 am by ComeOnBenjals » Logged
ComeOnBenjals
Civic Leader

« Reply #1571 on: November 15, 2019, 10:32:00 am »

But to be honest, more chains in DT Tulsa means fewer local places. This C Store and Jimmy Johns take a bit from all the local lunch places around 4th and Main. So I don't mind chains avoiding DT Tulsa, as that gives local places more of a market, but also is a sign that the population and traffic in DT is really light or at least inconsistent compared to 71st and Memorial or 61st and Yale. On the other hand, Jimmy Johns, Bueno, BK and DGX moving in are signs that the tide is turning. We might hail it at first, but having been to so many American downtowns full of all the same places (Walgreens, 7/11, McD, etc), it is a bit monotonous, soul-less and ultimately bad for local places. Great for landlords though.

Some good points. I do think that the fact that a national chain is investing in DT is a good sign for our momentum/reputation. It's a sign (albeit somewhat small) that DT has reawakened to a point where national chains are comfortable investing.  That being said, it's definitely a fine line trying to keep the balance of local and national. It's really neat currently having a DT full of almost all local places.
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #1572 on: November 15, 2019, 01:46:20 pm »

Some good points. I do think that the fact that a national chain is investing in DT is a good sign for our momentum/reputation. It's a sign (albeit somewhat small) that DT has reawakened to a point where national chains are comfortable investing.  That being said, it's definitely a fine line trying to keep the balance of local and national. It's really neat currently having a DT full of almost all local places.

I think it's one our DT's best assets. The Arts District is almost completely local places (Are there any national chains there besides the hotesl?). The Deco District has a great mix that is mostly local.

Cherry Street and the core of Brookside are about 20% national chains, which is still very respectable in this day and age (compare to Tulsa Hills which is almost exclusively national chains, maybe 2 out of 50+ businesses there are local). The southern part of Brookside (39th-51st) is well over 50% chains though, but that part is the suburban shopping area that it has been for a while.
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #1573 on: November 15, 2019, 02:08:04 pm »

Not what I would have chosen but defintely a step in the right direction. I assume it'll be open into the evenings? I'm always disheartened when I see a Hyatt or Doubletree van at the 15th and Lewis Walgreens. When I stay in downtown areas I always like to find the nearest C-store for water, snacks, etc. It seems people who stay in our downtown are required to go to 15th and Lewis for this. I'm pretty sure I've mentioned it before but I really wish Braums would open a restaurant and fresh market downtown. Their grocery offerings are perfect for a small but growing downtown residential population.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1574 on: November 15, 2019, 07:57:47 pm »

I'm glad someone is doing something like this in downtown.

Imagine how profitable a QT kitchen would do downtown (especially from lunch and after work crowd - order on an app and pick it up on way to car). QT isn't quite as forward thinking in terms of urban planning and I doubt they want a gasless store (besides one in DT Atlanta?). I'm guessing QT makes so much on a normal store, DT Tulsa isn't even on their radar. That would be a good way for them to "throw the dog a bone" just to have their name and brand as part of the fabric of DT Tulsa.

I would point out that there are still plenty of vacant places where local businesses could go, even right near where this is.  So I don't think its pushing out any locals. Actually been very frustrated that more local retail offerings haven't come to my area.  Feel really alone in my spot.  More retail in one location helps draw attention/promotion and more foot traffic.  Is this ideal? No.  But at least another spot that has sat dark and empty for decades now will be alive and lit up. And agin, there are still lots of empty spots nearby if any local retail wants to move in!  Would love more retail neighbors! Please! lol.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 143   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org