A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:54:02 am
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 143   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Downtown Development Overview  (Read 1076588 times)
ComeOnBenjals
Civic Leader

« Reply #1455 on: August 26, 2019, 09:42:12 am »

The Otasco Building's front facade is no longer around. Will be interesting to see how they utilize the remaining structure.
shavethewhales
Philanthropist

« Reply #1456 on: August 26, 2019, 12:25:46 pm »

Wow, so they're basically just recycling the foundations and some of the steel... maybe not even much of the later. Looks like the original structure can't handle the rooftop loads, so they are going to have to beef it all up quite a bit. At this point I'm not sure why they aren't just demolishing everything and starting from the ground up.
ComeOnBenjals
Civic Leader

« Reply #1457 on: August 28, 2019, 11:09:58 am »

Drove by today and it looks like they removed most of what was left in the previous picture.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1458 on: August 28, 2019, 12:45:43 pm »

Very much a side track, but just wondering if maybe as part of our downtown development around the Greenwood district, near TCC, any thought had been given to returning the empty land remaining to the families of the people it was stolen from at the Tulsa Race Massacre??   Just curious....

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #1459 on: August 28, 2019, 01:04:33 pm »

Very much a side track, but just wondering if maybe as part of our downtown development around the Greenwood district, near TCC, any thought had been given to returning the empty land remaining to the families of the people it was stolen from at the Tulsa Race Massacre??   Just curious....

Whose land was stolen then? I'm pretty sure it was buildings that were damaged/burned and that landowners kept the deeds to their land afterwards. Greenwood rebuilt and was at its peak in the 1940s. "Urban Renewal" and highway in the 60s is what doomed it and left all those empty lots north of the expressway.

In theory if you gave land back to people, even if their ancestors owned it, do you think that would benefit society overall?

Lets say we part out all the empty lots by OSU Tulsa and give one to each family, how much good would that do? I'd guess most would sell, a few might build (if you have the economic means to build a house which will be well over $100k) and many more would sit on it for decades.

All of Tulsa is Creek Nation. They are the rightful owners of every piece of land in this entire city. We should give it all back to Creek Nation and stop hoarding stolen resources the government stole when they broke their end of the treaty. We should all, at minimum, pay the Creek Nation rent for squatting in their land and we absolutely owe them back rent for the entire duration their land has been used.
shavethewhales
Philanthropist

« Reply #1460 on: August 29, 2019, 07:07:52 am »

111 Greenwood:

Building next to Vast Bank is now fenced off? Probably been like this awhile, but I just noticed.

Otasco

In other news, Mcnellie's is closing for 2-3 weeks on Sept. 9th for a remodel.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1461 on: August 30, 2019, 09:53:39 am »

111 Greenwood:

Building next to Vast Bank is now fenced off? Probably been like this awhile, but I just noticed.

Otasco

In other news, Mcnellie's is closing for 2-3 weeks on Sept. 9th for a remodel.  C'mon, someone just had too...

Wow!  The Vast Bank building doesn't look half Vast anymore!

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #1462 on: August 30, 2019, 02:26:27 pm »

What is this remodel, more GKFF lofts?

shavethewhales
Philanthropist

« Reply #1463 on: September 06, 2019, 09:33:42 am »

Two new bar/restaurants well under construction right now: Ripley's in the original Joe Mama's location and something new in the old Yeti location.

Old Yeti Location

Old Joe Mama's Location

Also, there's going to be a new fitness gym in the little retail space underneath the VAST parking garage. It's called F45 and primarily focused on HIIT training.
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #1464 on: September 06, 2019, 11:55:31 am »

Two new bar/restaurants well under construction right now: Ripley's in the original Joe Mama's location and something new in the old Yeti location.

Also, there's going to be a new fitness gym in the little retail space underneath the VAST parking garage. It's called F45 and primarily focused on HIIT training.

Is that VAST parking garage on a different block? Is it across from where the View will be? Crazy all the stuff going up right now.

I heard the Yeti was turning into a restaurant. Does anyone know what it will be?

Thank you for updating with all these pics! And thank you for doing your part in promotion of keeping the whales groomed!
shavethewhales
Philanthropist

« Reply #1465 on: September 06, 2019, 01:02:52 pm »

The parking garage is next to the railroad tracks. Not far from VAST, but across and down the street a bit.

I thought I saw somewhere that the Yeti will be a steakhouse or slightly higher end restaurant.

Glad you enjoy the updates. It gives me something to do after a stop at McNellies.
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #1466 on: September 06, 2019, 01:54:29 pm »

I thought I saw somewhere that the Yeti will be a steakhouse or slightly higher end restaurant.

how many high end steak houses can this town support?
hello
Civic Leader

« Reply #1467 on: September 06, 2019, 02:16:15 pm »

Yes. Just what is needed in that area between Cain's and Soundpony. A high end restaurant.  Undecided What made that area cool and special is slip sliding away...

TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #1468 on: September 06, 2019, 02:33:15 pm »

how many high end steak houses can this town support?

Good Question. It's like how many pizza places can downtown support? Apparently 2 less than when Joe Mammas and Hey Mambo had it at its peak, which was around 12.  So I guess ~8-10.

Looks like there's around 50 steak places in Tulsa but probably more if you expand to places whose specialty is steak but not classified as "Steak".

Also, how many Mexican places can this city support? There's several hundred of those if you include all the Tex Mex and authentic along with the many many food trucks (~240+ just brick and mortar listed on Zomato). Glad to have the variety, but dang! So many generic looking Tex Mex places like "Tres Tequias", Sabores or Dos Bandidos offering plates for what you can get for half that at many hole in the walls. Not saying those are bad, but why were those even needed when there were already so many good Mexican places close by? How are all of those economically viable? I saw another Mexican place is planned for downtown. Que Gusto, a more broadly Latin American place, is head and shoulders better than any of those others.
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #1469 on: September 06, 2019, 02:42:30 pm »

Yes. Just what is needed in that area between Cain's and Soundpony. A high end restaurant.  Undecided What made that area cool and special is slip sliding away...

Besides Yeti, everything there that was there 5+ years ago is still there: Sound Pony, Cains and a rotating food truck or two. Plus now there's Inner Circle which was an excellent addition that used up an empty lot. What else has slipped away?

Soon the OKPop museum will be there along with the huge GKFF project to the west. Seems like a huge boost for the area. Hunt Club is still there. I know prices will probably go up, but it doesn't seem like tons of stuff is going, just new additions slowly.
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 143   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org