A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 09:56:47 pm
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 143   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Downtown Development Overview  (Read 1083189 times)
rebound
City Father

« Reply #1320 on: November 27, 2018, 10:40:22 am »

That Parker building might not have anything salvageable underneath. It looks horrible with the old terra cotta stripped away and the mod podge modern features on bottom and top added on. I don't understand how they thought that looked better than leaving it as-is. Maybe was cheaper than rehabbing.

So, I had to find some pics of the original building to compare:

https://www.facebook.com/pg/tulsadecodistrictok/photos/?tab=album&album_id=601813590025081

It would be interesting to know what is left underneath there, if only for future consideration.

TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #1321 on: November 27, 2018, 02:20:58 pm »

So, I had to find some pics of the original building to compare:

https://www.facebook.com/pg/tulsadecodistrictok/photos/?tab=album&album_id=601813590025081

It would be interesting to know what is left underneath there, if only for future consideration.

Nice find! I looked around and couldn't find anything. Thank you for posting!

The top of the Parker building was fantastic! I love those Gothic Revival features that look like a cathedral. The lower part doesn't look like there could be much but I'd guess the old ornate features remain at the top (the cornice?), but might need a lot of work to preserve. I hope someone does that before too long.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #1322 on: November 27, 2018, 03:40:22 pm »

Nice find! I looked around and couldn't find anything. Thank you for posting!

The top of the Parker building was fantastic! I love those Gothic Revival features that look like a cathedral. The lower part doesn't look like there could be much but I'd guess the old ornate features remain at the top (the cornice?), but might need a lot of work to preserve. I hope someone does that before too long.

There have been proposals over the years to turn this into a hotel.  Maybe the new owners would want to restore the original facade?  It would probably have to be a pet project by a local developer instead of an out-of-state entity to make it work.

TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #1323 on: November 28, 2018, 01:03:36 pm »

There have been proposals over the years to turn this into a hotel.  Maybe the new owners would want to restore the original facade?  It would probably have to be a pet project by a local developer instead of an out-of-state entity to make it work.

Seems like a lot of hotels at this point! I know we were far behind demand though. I just hope whoever owns it restores the cornice to how it was originally. That was a gorgeous gem and would add a lot to the civic pride of those who use the building. How it is would be like putting modern kit-car panels over a classic Bugatti.
MostSeriousness
Civic Leader

« Reply #1324 on: November 29, 2018, 08:05:50 am »

Does anyone know if a business is still going in the first floor of the Archer Flats? Fingers crossed for a coffee shop.

I took a tour not too long ago, and the property manager said that a few businesses were still in talks, but nothing confirmed. Not sure if the intent was to have multiple shops setup or something, or if they're just doing good ole negotiating
Rattle Trap
Activist

« Reply #1325 on: December 14, 2018, 02:50:24 pm »

I know this was posted about previously (see below), but I couldn't find it to reply. Does anyone have anymore details on what this is going to be? Haven't heard anything about it in a while.

"Tulsa Buildings Coming Down For New Downtown Development"

http://www.newson6.com/story/38988643/tulsa-buildings-coming-down-for-new-downtown-development
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1326 on: December 14, 2018, 03:17:36 pm »

I know this was posted about previously (see below), but I couldn't find it to reply. Does anyone have anymore details on what this is going to be? Haven't heard anything about it in a while.

http://www.newson6.com/story/38988643/tulsa-buildings-coming-down-for-new-downtown-development

There's a lot of work going on at that site, but no announcement that I have seen.
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #1327 on: December 17, 2018, 12:06:30 pm »

It's a shame those buildings couldn't be saved. I had visions of how awesome those old brick industrial buildings would be with a bit of love and care... like a massive urban market with covered indoor retail and office space/apartments in raised lofts (Check out all the amazing repurposing of old factories in cities like Minneapolis). Since it's GKFF, we know they tried to preserve them. Will completely change the character over there. Sounds like a huge projects. Will miss the old factories and that industrial revolution vibe, but a huge win for the district.

It is interesting that they're demolishing the old buildings before announcing the plans. I'd think they'd try to announce the plans to get the preservationists on their side just a bit more but maybe they get the benefit of the doubt. The metal buildings didn't look like they would be worth saving anyways though.
Rattle Trap
Activist

« Reply #1328 on: December 26, 2018, 04:15:07 pm »

https://www.tulsaworld.com/business/arvest-bank-to-build-downtown-parking-garage/article_2c5ac9e9-8bfb-5fb1-989f-90d18e17b4fa.amp.html?__twitter_impression=true

New parking garage to be built downtown
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #1329 on: December 26, 2018, 04:21:16 pm »

I had heard Arvest wanted a garage here and also wants to expand their downtown workforce.  Maybe this could turn into a new building on their other lot at 6th & Main.

That being said I hate stand-alone downtown parking garages.  No retail on 5th is a big fail though, especially at the corner.  5th is one of our better streets for retail but the south side of this block will remain a dead zone.

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1330 on: December 26, 2018, 05:29:55 pm »

What is wrong with walking a few blocks?  That is what creates lively attractive sidewalks versus a dead looking downtown. That is what brings customers by ground floor retail instead of keeping them away from the retail. What is the point of having a business downtown if you would do exactly what you would do in the suburbs but it costs more?

"I guess since the early 1990s, as we've occupied all five of these floors, we've probably had 100 associates who have parked one, two three, four blocks away," he said Wednesday during an interview in his office. "We had always wanted to do something to bring our associates as close as we could.""By entering that ramp system, we will be able to knock some holes in the side of the Bank of America Building, and people will be able to come across into the parking garage that we're going to build."

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1331 on: December 26, 2018, 05:35:34 pm »

I had heard Arvest wanted a garage here and also wants to expand their downtown workforce.  Maybe this could turn into a new building on their other lot at 6th & Main.

That being said I hate stand-alone downtown parking garages.  No retail on 5th is a big fail though, especially at the corner.  5th is one of our better streets for retail but the south side of this block will remain a dead zone.

Which means the north side of that block will hurt as well.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #1332 on: December 27, 2018, 11:37:45 am »

Maybe a little off topic, but I think OneOK field should bid for one of the current 100+ (seemingly) bowl games. There already is a trend of playing football games in baseball stadiums, like the Cheez-it Bowl last night, and the Pinstripe Bowl in Yankee Stadium. Since OneOK already invested in the removable pitchers mound for soccer, you would think they could fit a football field and sufficient sidelines for both teams. They could invest in a sizeable grandstand for the outfield for great field views and to increase capacity to maybe 12,000-15,000 or so. Bid for a lower tier game where that is the usual attendance anyway.

For example, the ServPro First Responder's Bowl (formerly known by all sorts of things including the "Heart of Dallas Bowl") is played in Cotton Bowl Stadium which holds 90,000, but they usually get at least one non P-5 team and both teams usually barely qualified at 6-6. Attendance is never very high and it looks so depressing in that huge stadium. Yesterday the game was cancelled due to rain and it may be the last straw since the Dallas City Council has been complaining about the cost of opening that huge stadium for little payoff. Also, ServPro has a pretty sizeable presence in Oklahoma so the sponsorship could remain. And 12,000 fans looks pathetic in that stadium but would be a full house in OneOK, and the scenic area developing around it would be great for television.

Do a full media blitz to participating teams fanbases about  Tulsa downtown and its variety of activities, restaurants, and nightlife, and of course the Gathering Place. Have downtown hotels offer really low rates with proof of a game ticket purchase. These lower tier bowl games are usually more an excuse for a Holiday season vacation so make it affordable and a reason to make the game and stay a few days. It might be a pipedream since ESPN and the NCAA are probably unwilling to admit that 12,000 is actual attendance at some of these games, but worthy of at least some discussion I think.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 11:39:28 am by DowntownDan » Logged
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #1333 on: December 27, 2018, 01:03:50 pm »

Which means the north side of that block will hurt as well.

Yes as this will be across the street.  HORRIBLE

dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #1334 on: December 27, 2018, 02:31:54 pm »

Maybe a little off topic, but I think OneOK field should bid for one of the current 100+ (seemingly) bowl games. There already is a trend of playing football games in baseball stadiums, like the Cheez-it Bowl last night, and the Pinstripe Bowl in Yankee Stadium. Since OneOK already invested in the removable pitchers mound for soccer, you would think they could fit a football field and sufficient sidelines for both teams. They could invest in a sizeable grandstand for the outfield for great field views and to increase capacity to maybe 12,000-15,000 or so. Bid for a lower tier game where that is the usual attendance anyway.

For example, the ServPro First Responder's Bowl (formerly known by all sorts of things including the "Heart of Dallas Bowl") is played in Cotton Bowl Stadium which holds 90,000, but they usually get at least one non P-5 team and both teams usually barely qualified at 6-6. Attendance is never very high and it looks so depressing in that huge stadium. Yesterday the game was cancelled due to rain and it may be the last straw since the Dallas City Council has been complaining about the cost of opening that huge stadium for little payoff. Also, ServPro has a pretty sizeable presence in Oklahoma so the sponsorship could remain. And 12,000 fans looks pathetic in that stadium but would be a full house in OneOK, and the scenic area developing around it would be great for television.

Do a full media blitz to participating teams fanbases about  Tulsa downtown and its variety of activities, restaurants, and nightlife, and of course the Gathering Place. Have downtown hotels offer really low rates with proof of a game ticket purchase. These lower tier bowl games are usually more an excuse for a Holiday season vacation so make it affordable and a reason to make the game and stay a few days. It might be a pipedream since ESPN and the NCAA are probably unwilling to admit that 12,000 is actual attendance at some of these games, but worthy of at least some discussion I think.

You will need to raise at $2 million to pay the organizers

Bowl game execs earn between $200 K to $1 million for running a single game annually.  And if you get local special interest groups to support your endeavor if they believe tourism will be boosted, yet another justification for bringing a game to town.

Of course, you have to raise sponsor dollars, and you have to get participating schools to commit to buying a certain number of tickets.  Without these, the game may not survive...unless subsidized by a media outlet or local special interest group for tourism purposes.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/prishe/2014/01/01/do-the-economics-of-bowl-games-make-sense-for-schools-sponsors/#1cbe8e413cfb

Then you need to make sure that the sponsor can afford to pay ESPN for the broadcast

According to IEG, sponsors paid $99 million for 35 bowl games during the 2012-2013 bowl season.

The majority of those dollars—about $71 million—will go to ESPN , which packages bowl naming rights with season-long ad packages for the BCS bowls, plus sells title to the seven bowl games owned by its ESPN Regional Television unit.

You guessed it, this is big business for the Sports Leader. It also affords corporations the ability to get their names attached to what has become an annual tradition around the sports world.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/vincentfrank/2014/12/20/the-economics-of-college-football-bowl-season/#769017ad3d45

Also don't forget you will need sponsors to help pay the colleges as well regardless of who plays.
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 143   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org