A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:23:07 am
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 143   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Downtown Development Overview  (Read 1076727 times)
Bamboo World
Philanthropist

« Reply #660 on: July 12, 2016, 06:39:00 pm »

And now another proposal for the half block on the west side of Elgin between Mathew B. Reconciliation Way and Archer Street:

Tulsa World article

News on 6 link

Fox 23 News link
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 06:46:35 pm by Bamboo World » Logged
godboko71
Philanthropist

« Reply #661 on: July 12, 2016, 06:53:10 pm »

I would rather this site for this proposed commercial development than the OKPOP Museum and people get over the fact the other land OKPOP could use is owned by BOK. I would stipulate that if this commercial development project could not be shovel ready within a year that TDA could withdraw the sale of land to this developer and pursue new proposals.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 06:56:54 pm by godboko71 » Logged

Thank you,
Robert Town
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #662 on: July 12, 2016, 10:15:21 pm »

I think it would be a good spot for the Ok Pop museum.

If I am thinking "long term/where would I put stuff if I could plan out things"...

1.  It would be nice to have a couple of attraction type things in one area to maximize future parking and transit stops.  
2.  Retail right across from the ballpark, well I would not put a shop there for the ballpark is a dead zone most of the time and I would rather have my shop/restaurant across from more shopping/restaurants.
3.  Combining the above two.  By having both attractions in the same area if you strategically place parking structures, say only a block or two away and THEN that connecting corridor has shops along it, THEN that would help the retail.  And having both there would maximize use of a transit stop being nearby, and retail being nearby as well.

Just to give an example.  I noticed in London that often you would see, say a large museum, near a main transit stop.  Between the transit stop and the museum/attractions, would be a retail corridor.

Which of all of that came first, who knows.  But the basic "logic" of it still worked on many levels.

People would hopefully go to an actual retail corridor in the area regardless, but by having the ballpark and museum nearby, and with parking and transit also appropriately placed, that would help the retail corridor be much stronger lively and vital.  

But this is Tulsa so lets watch and see how they screw up all those opportunities.

Having said that though, there would likely be little harm done if the office/retail development went in there.  It just won't be any big deal and the retail, if there is any after a while, would likely struggle and be lackluster.  But, the development would still add at least "something" to the area and  someplace else downtown will work out for the OK Pop.

I wish we would work on nurturing/planning "pedestrian flows" downtown as much as we plan development/infrastructure around "traffic flows".  I would love for us to figure out how to create a "pedestrian highway" downtown by placing the optimal "things" in the right spots. I wonder if the TDA is even thinking about this? 
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 10:22:39 pm by TheArtist » Logged

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #663 on: July 12, 2016, 11:12:32 pm »

Something mixed-use would be better for this site.  Hopefully the final design has more brick.  BOK is going to donate their parking lot, why turn them down?

dsjeffries
City Father

« Reply #664 on: July 13, 2016, 07:25:55 am »

Something mixed-use would be better for this site.  Hopefully the final design has more brick.  BOK is going to donate their parking lot, why turn them down?

"It became problematic because the owner, Bank of Oklahoma Financial, offered to donate the land if slots in the project’s planned parking garage were reserved for BOK, whose controlling stockholder is George Kaiser. This created legal and political difficulties OHS and GKFF want to avoid." (Tulsa World)

Change never happened because people were happy with the status quo.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #665 on: July 13, 2016, 07:37:07 am »

Rumor has it OK Pop is also considering the lot across from 46 Bar, directly south of the Brady Theater. That would serve as a neat bookend to Brady and bring the surrounding empty/under used buildings under pressure to develop sooner rather than later.  The lot across from the Ballpark is already under pressure to develop sooner.

I have no strong opinion on any of the three sites for the OK Pop, but I think the original BOK location would be best for the reasons mentioned above. Let commercial interests take advantage of the Ballpark traffic. The museum is a draw unto itself.

That said, I think OK Pop gets the nod on this land over the new development. It isn't shovel ready and needs a 40% pre-sale/lease before it can start. That's a lot unless there is already an anchor lined up. So TDA locks up the land, then sits and hopes the deal happens. The Museum is funded and ready to rock. Just based on that, I think the TDA gives it to the Museum.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #666 on: July 13, 2016, 10:05:24 am »

Does anyone have a rendering or site plan for the museum on this site?  The only one I've ever seen is the red one with the massive video board and Leon Russell. 

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #667 on: July 13, 2016, 10:11:52 am »

Does anyone have a rendering or site plan for the museum on this site?  The only one I've ever seen is the red one with the massive video board and Leon Russell. 

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #668 on: July 13, 2016, 11:52:48 am »

Sweet God...seriously?
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #669 on: July 13, 2016, 12:45:39 pm »

Sweet God...seriously?

This literally went through my head when I saw it.

"Trust but Verify." - The Gipper
Ibanez
City Father

« Reply #670 on: July 13, 2016, 01:13:07 pm »

Sponsored by Lego?
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #671 on: July 13, 2016, 01:15:36 pm »

Sweet God...seriously?

Agreed.  That.Is.Horrific.

This is the view I'm used to and like.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
ZYX
Philanthropist

« Reply #672 on: July 13, 2016, 01:15:44 pm »

That is a gorgeous building. It would look great in the abundance of skyline pictures taken from seats in the ballpark.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #673 on: July 13, 2016, 01:17:52 pm »

That is a gorgeous building. It would look great in the abundance of skyline pictures taken from seats in the ballpark.

To each their own, but I cannot agree with that assessment.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
cbs
Citizen

« Reply #674 on: July 13, 2016, 01:25:25 pm »

If OKPOP turns out like that rendering I'm predicting all-out brawls in the streets over whether it's the most beautiful building ever vs an absolute disgrace.

I'll be stuck in the middle.
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 143   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org