A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:56:09 am
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 143   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Downtown Development Overview  (Read 1076603 times)
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #225 on: July 10, 2015, 09:29:17 am »

14 downtown development projects you should know about:
http://www.tulsaworld.com/photovideo/slideshows/downtown-development-projects-you-should-know-about/collection_2e50248b-80c7-57a5-aa0d-5668c2f1d07b.html

Nothing that hasn't already been discussed on here, but adding it as it is a nice visual representation of many new things. It only goes over maybe half of the major planned developments. (Pop Museum, Route 66 museums & Urban 8 absent for example). It is the top story on TW right now so hopefully that will help draw even more interest downtown.

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #226 on: July 10, 2015, 09:45:48 am »

It only goes over maybe half of the major planned developments. (Pop Museum, Route 66 museums & Urban 8 absent for example). It is the top story on TW right now so hopefully that will help draw even more interest downtown.

But they included Sager!

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #227 on: July 10, 2015, 09:48:04 am »

It is the top story on TW right now so hopefully that will help draw even more interest downtown.

And while I know crime downtown is often overblown, this week seems to be adding fuel to the flames.  Was reading where Co. Ewing was also hit.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #228 on: July 10, 2015, 09:55:37 am »

But they included Sager!

Specifically, they said work "will begin soon." To be more specific, they again said work will begin soon.

Otherwise, great little overview. Helped put some of the projects in perspective and in their proper locations for me.

Still confused on why the new ONePlace Hampton Inn has no pictures, designs, or plans associated with any of the press releases. Spending $15+mil on a new building and no show-off pictures to raise excitement? Their website has a rendering I don't think I've seen before:

As well as a rendering of the HOliday Inn in the brady:

Obviously not finalized plans, but both are OK if realistic. Some life off of Cheyenne would be nice for the OnePlace one, even if we don't get the "walk able courtyard draw people in" thing originally planned. The Holiday Inn in the Brady will fit in nicely with the area keeping the Red Brick theme going and necessarily having life on nearly the entire frontage of Archer.

Amazing how much is coming. Amazing how much the haters continue to hate.

- - -

Quote from: TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
And while I know crime downtown is often overblown, this week seems to be adding fuel to the flames.  Was reading where Co. Ewing was also hit.

I'm confused. Who was referencing crime downtown? What was counselor Ewing hit with? I need context.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #229 on: July 10, 2015, 10:26:31 am »

I'm confused. Who was referencing crime downtown? What was counselor Ewing hit with? I need context.

There were a smattering of incidents posted on nextdoor.com

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
dsjeffries
City Father

« Reply #230 on: July 16, 2015, 10:19:59 am »

Does this street improvement suggest this is coming or did the City put parking backwards on a one-way street

The City is adding more back-in angled parking in downtown by the end of August. Where? Along the east side of Cincinnati from 4th to 8th Streets, and in the Blue Dome and Brady Districts.

This is a smart move. It's adding more parking spaces, yes, but it's also putting our downtown streets on a much-needed road diet. Cincinnati is 55 feet wide and includes four lanes of one-way traffic and parking on both sides. The new parking scheme will remove a lane from that mix, reducing the crossing distance for people on foot by 30-40%, and slowing down traffic.

I hope the success of back-in parking means they will attempt other pilot projects in downtown, including adding protected bike lanes and protected intersections. All these things can make walking, biking and driving downtown safer and more pleasant.

If we could extend sidewalks to the edge of those new parking spaces and plant some more trees (and flowers), it would be even better.

Fox 23 article on Back-in Parking
The City of Tulsa will expand its back-in angle parking program to other parts of downtown and the Brady District.
The city installed trial spaces on 2nd Street between Elgin and Greenwood downtown last May to see how drivers would react.

Tulsa City Engineer Paul Zachary said the city has not received a single complaint about the spaces since they were installed.

Now, the city hopes to install more on the east side of Cincinnati from 4th to 8th and in the Brady and Blue Dome Districts.
They want to have them available for use by the end of August.

Officials said the parking spot layout is safer for pedestrians and drivers alike.

Since the spaces will be permanent, Zachary said parking meters will be added to the spaces.

He said the spaces in the Blue Dome area were being offered free of charge so drivers would feel encouraged to try them out and get used to them.
It is unknown when the meters will be installed. Officials said there are other priorities for street crews that will take precedent.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 10:55:55 am by dsjeffries » Logged

Change never happened because people were happy with the status quo.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #231 on: July 16, 2015, 02:16:00 pm »

There were a smattering of incidents posted on nextdoor.com

What type of incidents? 

davideinstein
« Reply #232 on: July 17, 2015, 09:58:13 pm »

The City is adding more back-in angled parking in downtown by the end of August. Where? Along the east side of Cincinnati from 4th to 8th Streets, and in the Blue Dome and Brady Districts.

This is a smart move. It's adding more parking spaces, yes, but it's also putting our downtown streets on a much-needed road diet. Cincinnati is 55 feet wide and includes four lanes of one-way traffic and parking on both sides. The new parking scheme will remove a lane from that mix, reducing the crossing distance for people on foot by 30-40%, and slowing down traffic.

I hope the success of back-in parking means they will attempt other pilot projects in downtown, including adding protected bike lanes and protected intersections. All these things can make walking, biking and driving downtown safer and more pleasant.

If we could extend sidewalks to the edge of those new parking spaces and plant some more trees (and flowers), it would be even better.

Fox 23 article on Back-in Parking

Bike lanes are a better option.
Vision 2025
Philanthropist

« Reply #233 on: July 21, 2015, 09:23:15 am »

Yea but there kind of skinny to park in.

Vision 2025 Program Director - know the facts, www.Vision2025.info
Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #234 on: July 21, 2015, 09:53:58 am »

I keep seeing people complain about REI and strip malls and all that.  Am I the only one kind of annoyed that companies are starting to build their corporate headquarters downtown while we still have quite a few office buildings that sit empty?
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #235 on: July 21, 2015, 10:09:49 am »

I keep seeing people complain about REI and strip malls and all that.  Am I the only one kind of annoyed that companies are starting to build their corporate headquarters downtown while we still have quite a few office buildings that sit empty?

Other than the Tulsa Club what decent sized office building downtown is empty that isn't in some stage of conversion to residential?
Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #236 on: July 21, 2015, 10:45:24 am »

Other than the Tulsa Club what decent sized office building downtown is empty that isn't in some stage of conversion to residential?

The Parker Drilling Building (61,000 sq ft) and you can get about 11 floors at an average of 5k sqft a floor
Corner of 6th and Boston could probably be purchased.
302 S Boston has 31,838 SF available
Midco building has 13,500 sqft available.
Williams tower has 36,000 sqft available

But other than that 142,000 sqft of empty space there is nothing.  Not including the Tulsa club obviously.

Just found out sharp sold the 522 S BOSTON AVE in January of this year.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 10:59:30 am by CharlieSheen » Logged
dsjeffries
City Father

« Reply #237 on: July 21, 2015, 12:07:12 pm »

We can have both back-in angled parking and protected bike lanes (and protected intersections, for that matter).

Change never happened because people were happy with the status quo.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #238 on: July 21, 2015, 12:18:24 pm »

The Parker Drilling Building (61,000 sq ft) and you can get about 11 floors at an average of 5k sqft a floor
Corner of 6th and Boston could probably be purchased.
302 S Boston has 31,838 SF available
Midco building has 13,500 sqft available.
Williams tower has 36,000 sqft available

But other than that 142,000 sqft of empty space there is nothing.  Not including the Tulsa club obviously.

Just found out sharp sold the 522 S BOSTON AVE in January of this year.

That is not much as at all. If China's economy doesn't tank and oil recovers as expected, we will need a lot more office space downtown very soon.
Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #239 on: July 21, 2015, 12:34:41 pm »

That is not much as at all. If China's economy doesn't tank and oil recovers as expected, we will need a lot more office space downtown very soon.

That stuff has been vacant for quite a while. Even when oil was higher and China was chugging along.  As of an August 2014 Tulsa world article downtown is about 20% vacant.  That sqft was just what I found listed on a website.  I'm sure there is more available.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 12:36:26 pm by CharlieSheen » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 143   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org