A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:11:26 am
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 143   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Downtown Development Overview  (Read 1076671 times)
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #135 on: May 29, 2015, 02:16:03 pm »

Gov. Mary Fallin signs bill to fund OKPOP museum in Tulsa

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/capitol_report/gov-mary-fallin-signs-bill-to-fund-okpop-museum-in/article_ab4559b5-029f-5bfc-a456-cc54155b6841.html

OKLAHOMA CITY — Gov. Mary Fallin on Friday signed a bill to build a museum of popular culture in Tulsa.

Senate Bill 829 by Senate President Pro Tem Brian Bingman, R-Sapulpa, will provide $25 million in bonds to build the facility that will be called OKPOP.

“The OKPOP Museum will be a tourism destination and a source of economic growth and development for the city of Tulsa,” Fallin said. “It’s another addition to a beautiful city that continues to grow every day.”

Fallin’s signature comes after the measure first failed first in each legislative chamber before being reconsidered.

Bingman said OKPOP will be a one-of-a-kind attraction and source of pride for the state.

"I'm pleased we were able to seize this rare opportunity to build something lasting and unique that will contribute to our state for decades to come," Bingman said.

The facility is expected to open on Nov. 16, 2018, with exhibits coming from donations by Oklahoma musicians, artists, entertainers, writers and others.

Oklahoma Historical Society Executive Director Bob Blackburn worked on the project for seven years.

He said that he appreciates Fallin’s support and looks forward to working with her and her staff “to make sure we do this quickly, efficiently and to the best of our ability.”

Tulsa Regional Chamber President and CEO Mike Neal called Friday a great day for the state, and especially for Tulsans.

“For generations to come, Oklahomans and visitors around the world will be able to celebrate our state’s contributions to popular culture,” Neal said. “From music and movies to authors and performers, thousands of entertainers have been influenced by this beautiful state. We’re ecstatic their stories and work will live in downtown Tulsa in the Oklahoma Museum of Popular Culture.

“Today’s bill signing is the culmination of years of steadfast, relentless pursuit made by Dr. Bob Blackburn, in addition to George Kaiser and the many private donors who stepped to the plate years ago making significant financial pledges toward this project.”
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #136 on: June 05, 2015, 11:27:28 am »

Downtown Business Leaders Set Sights on Tulsa Farmer's Market

http://publicradiotulsa.org/post/downtown-business-leaders-set-sights-tulsa-farmers-market

Downtown Tulsa boosters make a move to bring the Tulsa Farmer’s Market to Sixth and Main streets in 2016.

The market has to leave Cherry Street next April through October while road work is completed. The Downtown Coordinating Council will offer marketing help and up to $5,000 for workers to close streets.

County Commissioner Karen Keith is on the council and proposed that offer.

"Oh, I think it's a perfect fit for downtown," Keith said about the market. "Easy to ride your bike up to the park, and I just think it's a great idea."

The proposed space is Chapman Green. Keith said the under-used park is an ideal spot.

"Any of our visitors in our nearby hotels, the Atlas and some of the others, and then, of course, the residential that's right around there, they can all take advantage of it," Keith said. "And I think you'll see the folks from Cherry Street, Brookside area and all around converge there."

Daniel Regan is vice president of Kanbar Properties, which owns several downtown buildings, including Park Centre right across the street from Chapman Green. He supports bringing the market downtown.

"Ultimately, we're trying to help support them and help support grocery security and food security for people in Tulsa," Regan said.

The farmer’s market board has yet to vote on next year’s location. They’re also considering 11th Street and Lewis Avenue.
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #137 on: June 05, 2015, 11:45:15 am »

What are they doing to Cherry Street that will take seven months to complete?  I live right by Cherry Street and I hadn't heard of anything that major and lengthy.  It's a half mile stretch, how can it take seven months?
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #138 on: June 05, 2015, 12:11:56 pm »

What are they doing to Cherry Street that will take seven months to complete?  I live right by Cherry Street and I hadn't heard of anything that major and lengthy.  It's a half mile stretch, how can it take seven months?

Street widening, sidewalk removal and turn lanes.

just kidding.  no idea

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #139 on: June 05, 2015, 12:15:39 pm »

I of course would REALLY REALLY love to see the Cherry Street Market move to that area of downtown.  I think it would be a much better location than 11th & Lewis.  I even spoke to the people that own the parking garage above my shop right across from the park and they said they would lower the cost of parking, if that would help.  Plus there is plenty of on street parking, and unused parking lots around that area.  Soon many of the buildings around the park will have new residences in them and ground floor spaces fixed up and available for retail and restaurants. Plus with all the other residential activity going on downtown, this could be a great fit and I know those downtowners would be eager to support something like this.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #140 on: June 05, 2015, 12:17:48 pm »

Street widening, sidewalk removal and turn lanes.

just kidding.  no idea

And because of the increased traffic flow and higher speeds the widening will permit, they will have to remove the businesses alongside the street to create a safety zone and then put up large cement sound barrier walls.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #141 on: June 05, 2015, 12:19:41 pm »

And because of the increased traffic flow and higher speeds the widening will permit, they will have to remove the businesses alongside the street to create a safety zone and then put up large cement sound barrier walls.

Not worth keeping those businesses anyway...I can't find the parking lots for them.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #142 on: June 05, 2015, 12:21:55 pm »

So I just looked at 11th and Lewis on streetview...what the hell are they thinking?

Of course it should go downtown at the park.
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #143 on: June 05, 2015, 12:28:15 pm »

Temporarily, fine. I also like using the Librarium area or the area around the old Bill White building. One would hope that this results in two farmers markets because the Cherry Street market gets lots of walk in traffic from the surrounding neighborhoods. Would hate to see it diminished or replaced.

11th and Lewis? Where exactly?

onward...through the fog
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #144 on: June 05, 2015, 12:46:38 pm »

Temporarily, fine. I also like using the Librarium area or the area around the old Bill White building. One would hope that this results in two farmers markets because the Cherry Street market gets lots of walk in traffic from the surrounding neighborhoods. Would hate to see it diminished or replaced.

11th and Lewis? Where exactly?

The abandoned used car lot next to the railroad tracks, maybe?

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #145 on: June 05, 2015, 01:22:02 pm »

The abandoned used car lot next to the railroad tracks, maybe?

A scene straight out of a Vermont postcard.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #146 on: June 05, 2015, 04:04:10 pm »

Kathy Taylor wants it over there and I think is willing to build them some permanent structures and do some other things to sweeten the deal.  It may be a tough sell to get it downtown for her group is ahead of the game negotiations wise, but some of us in the Deco District are gonna do our best.  I know it would sure help my business and I would be willing to chip in what I could. 

AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #147 on: June 05, 2015, 05:55:32 pm »

I can only guess that it is a location in the general area of 11th and Lewis. It is an area with some interesting housing. Perhaps she is thinking of some land closer to Hillcrest? West of Utica there is some vacant land and plenty of parking.

The only site close to the corner would be the former Pontiac dealership just west of the tracks. Curious thinking.

onward...through the fog
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #148 on: June 05, 2015, 08:55:11 pm »

Never thought I’d see the day in Tulsa when we fight over locations for farmer’s markets.

Nice to see the evolution!  I’d like to see more community gardens!

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
davideinstein
« Reply #149 on: June 07, 2015, 03:58:05 am »

Deco District is the best option.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 143   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org