A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:36:46 am
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 143   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Downtown Development Overview  (Read 1076625 times)
tulsasdoubled
Tourist

« Reply #90 on: May 13, 2015, 01:52:13 pm »

Look something like this? Wink

Does this street improvement suggest this is coming or did the City put parking backwards on a one-way street
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 01:54:05 pm by tulsasdoubled » Logged
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #91 on: May 13, 2015, 02:15:32 pm »

RE: OKPOP, I can't believe there is movement on this finally. Cautiously optimistic.
Tulsasaurus Rex
Civic Leader

« Reply #92 on: May 14, 2015, 06:55:32 am »

Does this street improvement suggest this is coming or did the City put parking backwards on a one-way street

http://www.fox23.com/news/news/local/reverse-parking-spaces-coming-downtown-tulsa/nmGJg/

New parking spaces are coming to downtown Tulsa.

However, not everyone loves the idea. They are all spaces that you must back into.

The city is not getting rid of parallel parking but it will put in more reverse spaces on downtown streets.

“Where we have parallel parking you’ve got to stop and back out and do it two or three times in and out. This is actually easier to hit,” said City Engineer Paul Zachary.

The Mayor’s Office and city manager are testing out the spots on 2nd Street in the Blue Dome District to see how residents respond to them. If all goes well, you’ll see even more of them in the coming years.

“Not only does it give you more parking but it also has a traffic calming effect on cars,” Zachary said.

“I think it’s great. I pull in with this big bad truck everywhere and it’s a very easy way to park,” said resident Ryan Hansen.
City officials said they don’t plan to install parking meters in the spaces for at least the next 60 days.
saintnicster
« Reply #93 on: May 14, 2015, 07:58:38 am »

Remembering how closely people follow in cars, I really doubt that these new spaces will work out all that well :-/
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #94 on: May 14, 2015, 08:07:08 am »

Remembering how closely people follow in cars, I really doubt that these new spaces will work out all that well :-/

Really....How do you parallel park.....I think its a great idea....

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #95 on: May 14, 2015, 08:15:16 am »

It’s all great until you have to pull your car out from behind a crew cab dually and the oncoming traffic isn’t expecting your front bumper.  I can see some situations where this would create blind spots pulling out into traffic.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
TylerBGoode
Activist

« Reply #96 on: May 14, 2015, 08:53:48 am »

It’s all great until you have to pull your car out from behind a crew cab dually and the oncoming traffic isn’t expecting your front bumper.  I can see some situations where this would create blind spots pulling out into traffic.

Kind of like when Zachary backs his "big bad truck" into one of those spots.
saintnicster
« Reply #97 on: May 14, 2015, 03:49:01 pm »

Really....How do you parallel park.....I think its a great idea....

A lot of the time, if there's traffic behind me, I'll pass up that spot, maybe make a trip around the block. 

I'll also opt for walking further, as to not put my car at risk.

I'f I'm lucky, it'll be a spot with a bit of buffer around it and I can pull straight in and even out. I'd rather look like that kind of jackass, rather than trusting someone else is paying attention enough to "grant me" space to properly back into a spot that likely already has two extended cab trucks around it, or a sedan that is pulled all the way forward.

The backup camera in my car really helps things out, but I'd rather not play Russian roulette with a shaky hand and 3 loaded chambers.
This is a more valid concern than mine, but I guess with this setup, you might have a bit better luck avoiding the cars than backing out of a space (assuming no backup camera)
TeeDub
« Reply #98 on: May 15, 2015, 08:32:11 am »

I can't see it being any worse than backing out from behind that dually into oncoming traffic surprising them with your rear bumper.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #99 on: May 15, 2015, 09:49:37 am »

I can't see it being any worse than backing out from behind that dually into oncoming traffic surprising them with your rear bumper.

Yep, same difference.  Really bad if you back out into an oncoming bicycle!

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Bamboo World
Philanthropist

« Reply #100 on: May 15, 2015, 01:53:21 pm »

http://www.fox23.com/news/news/local/reverse-parking-spaces-coming-downtown-tulsa/nmGJg/

New parking spaces are coming to downtown Tulsa.

However, not everyone loves the idea. They are all spaces that you must back into.

The city is not getting rid of parallel parking but it will put in more reverse spaces on downtown streets.

“Where we have parallel parking you’ve got to stop and back out and do it two or three times in and out. This is actually easier to hit,” said City Engineer Paul Zachary.

The Mayor’s Office and city manager are testing out the spots on 2nd Street in the Blue Dome District to see how residents respond to them. If all goes well, you’ll see even more of them in the coming years.

“Not only does it give you more parking but it also has a traffic calming effect on cars,” Zachary said.

“I think it’s great. I pull in with this big bad truck everywhere and it’s a very easy way to park,” said resident Ryan Hansen.
City officials said they don’t plan to install parking meters in the spaces for at least the next 60 days.

I prefer the back-in angled to the nose-in.  I avoid nose-in angled parking along the curbs of streets because it's so difficult to see oncoming traffic (sometimes) when backing out of the space, especially if the street is crowned.  The back-in angled spaces have to be wider than the nose-in, so back-in is not as efficient as nose-in, but I think back-in is safer, overall.

North Boulder Avenue from Cameron to Easton could provide MANY angled parking spaces.  The City ought to consider back-in angled spaces on the east side of Boulder and nose-in spaces on the west side.
davideinstein
« Reply #101 on: May 15, 2015, 04:28:36 pm »

Backed up spaces are better than the current option on Cherry Street. Protected bike lanes would have been better though.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #102 on: May 15, 2015, 05:13:08 pm »

The back-in angled spaces have to be wider than the nose-in

Why?

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #103 on: May 15, 2015, 08:57:02 pm »

I guess there's nothing stopping someone from pulling in nose-first from the opposing lane.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #104 on: May 16, 2015, 09:47:15 am »

Some of you hand ringers should hand in your driver's license......

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 143   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org