A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:39:07 am
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 23   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tulsa County Sheriff shooting of Eric Harris  (Read 187439 times)
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #270 on: April 13, 2016, 09:12:14 am »

First, I was wrong on the delay. It was denied.

Second, getting a case reassigned is not an easy matter unless there is a conflict or something obvious. Only a few things can be assigned on a whim (only political challenges come to mind) and judges HATE it when you pull that card. I have not seen evidence in my practice of anyone pulling strings to get a certain judge, but I could be naive.

Third, I have found Glassco to operate with integrity, along with the rest of the judges I have had contact with in Tulsa County. I may not always agree with their rulings and sometimes I flat out think they are wrong. But I have never questioned their integrity concerning rulings I have been involved with. Such accusations should be made lightly as our system largely functions on the trust that the system functions. Imperfect as it may be, it is the best system ever devised.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #271 on: April 13, 2016, 09:27:10 am »

A propensity to bleed out from bullet holes is not a "pre-existing medical condition"

Just out:  "Why Eric Harris Deserved To Die" by Clark Brewster. 232 pages, bound volume.  Free shipping by Amazon if ordered by April 1.

If he bled out, that sort of puts the kabosh on the whole heart disease theory or hardening of the arteries, eh?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #272 on: April 13, 2016, 09:30:12 am »

First, I was wrong on the delay. It was denied.

Second, getting a case reassigned is not an easy matter unless there is a conflict or something obvious. Only a few things can be assigned on a whim (only political challenges come to mind) and judges HATE it when you pull that card. I have not seen evidence in my practice of anyone pulling strings to get a certain judge, but I could be naive.

Third, I have found Glassco to operate with integrity, along with the rest of the judges I have had contact with in Tulsa County. I may not always agree with their rulings and sometimes I flat out think they are wrong. But I have never questioned their integrity concerning rulings I have been involved with. Such accusations should be made lightly as our system largely functions on the trust that the system functions. Imperfect as it may be, it is the best system ever devised.

I agree with you mostly - actually, the vast majority of the time.  And we have as good a system as we are likely to ever get.  

I guess I am just overly suspicious when a guy stands in front of a judge (Glassco) and pleads guilty to trying to kill the kids of some people I know.   And then is told, no, we don't accept that - back it up, you have to just be on probation for a while, since you were drunk and all....  But since it was a white guy, who appears to be well connected in the city functionary structure, I guess it's ok then...   Good thing he wasn't black, or worse yet, Muslim!!   (The case has been referenced previously.)

Maybe I am just overly sensitive, too...

As for judges in general - the only other two I have had direct personal contact with (in the deep dark past) have been exceptional people - we seem to be pretty lucky here for the most part.  Bob Perugino and Pete Messler.  Great guys both on the bench and out in the real world!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Vashta Nerada
Philanthropist

« Reply #273 on: April 16, 2016, 06:16:12 pm »

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/courts/slips-and-capture-could-be-key-to-robert-bates-defense/article_aacdd5e2-f85a-5d6b-9a61-3b3cf39bc965.html
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #274 on: April 17, 2016, 08:57:46 am »

So if you were standing on the edge of a cliff, and it was determined later that you had traces of drugs in your system as well as heart disease, and I pushed you off the cliff, would any reasonable person agree that the heart disease and drugs were the cause of death?

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #275 on: April 17, 2016, 09:52:44 am »

So if you were standing on the edge of a cliff, and it was determined later that you had traces of drugs in your system as well as heart disease, and I pushed you off the cliff, would any reasonable person agree that the heart disease and drugs were the cause of death?

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/trial-begins-reserve-fatally-shot-unarmed-man-38463943

It all sounds so innocent until you get to the "F*@k your breath!" establishment of their mindset.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Vashta Nerada
Philanthropist

« Reply #276 on: April 18, 2016, 06:37:52 pm »

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/trial-begins-reserve-fatally-shot-unarmed-man-38463943

It all sounds so innocent until you get to the "F*@k your breath!" establishment of their mindset.

The judge denied the motion to censor that from the shooting video the jury will see.  Maybe the question will be answered as to why Bates pulled the trigger on whatever he thought he had in his hand in the first place.
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #277 on: April 20, 2016, 09:38:23 am »

The Daily Beast mentions the Bates trial as a sidebar to another civil suit coming up.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/04/19/cops-taunted-black-veteran-as-he-died.html

Elliott Williams spent the last five days of his life in a Tulsa County jail, paralyzed and lying on the cold concrete floor. But despite the 37-year-old Oklahoma man’s pleas for help, guards did nothing to save him, a lawsuit claims.
... his only alleged crime was misdemeanor obstruction.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #278 on: April 21, 2016, 10:25:47 am »

Some conspiracy theories on the net about not allowing certain people into the Courtroom. I don't know the specifics, but in general potential witnesses aren't allowed in the Courtroom before they testify (to make sure their testimony isn't influenced by other witnesses). Also - in a media storm the judge needs to keep some level of control but victim family members are usually exempt from such measures (unless they are witnesses, then perhaps not). I suspect the two things together rationally explain the exclusions.

Andre Harris and the vast majority of news outlets were left without representation inside the courtroom for about 45 minutes of Deputy Lance Ramsey’s testimony. Sheriff’s Office deputies denied a Tulsa World reporter access despite the fact that jurors and observers in the gallery were still standing in the courtroom, indicating that no witness was on the stand testifying.
http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/courts/courtroom-rules-leave-media-harris-brother-shut-out-of-some/article_16b50962-11a8-5104-94ee-f70ae40ff0ee.html

Bates’ attorney Clark Brewster asked Musseman to invoke the rule of sequestration — typically granted to prevent testimony from tainting a later witness’ statements — as he said he plans to call Andre Harris to testify regarding involvement in his brother’s alleged criminal acts.
http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/courts/robert-bates-jury-to-see-unedited-video-with-f-/article_8b57208b-b7df-5deb-9f9c-178389cc4fc2.html

Vashta Nerada
Philanthropist

« Reply #279 on: April 23, 2016, 07:25:35 pm »

Roberts said he then saw Huckeby take the gun that Bates had used in the shooting and give Bates another gun to holster on the scene.
Sgt. Dave Kerpon testified that Huckeby gave him the firearm — which he was told was the weapon that fired the shot — and Kerpon put it in the trunk of his vehicle that he was using to transport Bates back to the office.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 07:31:56 pm by Vashta Nerada » Logged
Vashta Nerada
Philanthropist

« Reply #280 on: April 24, 2016, 05:51:59 pm »

Ramsey said in the hundreds of operations, he has had many go bad, but never this bad - he's never had someone accidentally shot.

Hogwash.  Accidental shootings by police happen more often than they admit...its preferable to make up a story than to look incompetent.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #281 on: April 27, 2016, 11:38:41 am »

Bates Case Will Go To Jury This Afternoon

http://publicradiotulsa.org/post/bates-case-will-go-jury-afternoon

The second-degree manslaughter trial of a former Oklahoma volunteer deputy charged with killing an unarmed man is set for closing arguments and jury deliberations.

Prosecutors and the defense wrapped up their cases Tuesday in the trial of Robert Bates, who has pleaded not guilty to the charges in the April 2015 death of Eric Harris.

A trauma doctor testified for the defense that Harris died of a heart attack, not as a result blood loss or a collapsed lung due to the gunshot. Prosecutors responded with a doctor who Harris lost too much blood from the gunshot to survive.

The trial is to go to the jury Wednesday following closing arguments.
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #282 on: April 27, 2016, 11:57:34 am »

Defense sounds really weak to me. Analogous to me saying my brother didn't die of a brain bleed. It was the combination of his lovely date and the  Mexican food that preceded it.

onward...through the fog
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #283 on: April 27, 2016, 12:04:56 pm »

"Excusable homicide"...well alrighty then
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #284 on: April 27, 2016, 01:13:02 pm »

It's already been several hours since deliberation started.  That would not seem to be good for the prosecution.  Open/Shut case....should need about 20 minutes, and that mostly to elect foreman and take the first vote.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 23   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org