A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 05:39:17 am
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 23   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tulsa County Sheriff shooting of Eric Harris  (Read 189438 times)
Vashta Nerada
Philanthropist

« Reply #240 on: January 18, 2016, 07:22:45 pm »

I'm curious how this would've gone had this involved someone less well known as Tony Stewart.

Or without cameras.

Meanwhile The beat goes on

Physicals jumped from $85 to $800 in TCSO contract linked to former undersheriff
https://www.readfrontier.com/investigation/physicals-jumped-from-85-to-800-in-tcso-contract-linked-to-former-undersheriff/

AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #241 on: January 18, 2016, 07:53:02 pm »

".....she developed the extensive pre-employment physical examination used by TCSO after learning how fitness impacts performance, on-the-job injuries and employee retention in law enforcement agencies."

No kidding. You mean healthy, fit, well adjusted people are better law enforcement employees? Who knew.

Ya gotta' love the county.

onward...through the fog
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #242 on: January 18, 2016, 08:28:25 pm »

Or without cameras.

Meanwhile The beat goes on

Physicals jumped from $85 to $800 in TCSO contract linked to former undersheriff
https://www.readfrontier.com/investigation/physicals-jumped-from-85-to-800-in-tcso-contract-linked-to-former-undersheriff/

Frontier subscription at $30 a month is a bit of a luxury, but for what they’ve managed to uncover and the people they’ve managed to dog so far, it’s worth every penny to support their cause.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #243 on: January 18, 2016, 09:26:49 pm »

I'm curious how this would've gone had this involved someone less well known as Tony Stewart.

For me, sober or drunk, Tony Stewart is one of the last people I would try and pick a fight with.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #244 on: January 18, 2016, 09:39:01 pm »

For me, sober or drunk, Tony Stewart is one of the last people I would try and pick a fight with.

It’s generally considered a bad idea.

I’ve gotten to know him a little over the years from the Chili Bowl.  He’s a super nice guy with a great sense of humor and a penchant for practical jokes when the bright lights are turned off and the idiots have left the building.  I’ve found the key to most of these guys is they don’t want to talk about their day job (NAPCAR) when they are here playing and generally letting their hair down for the week.  Just like none of us care to think or talk about our day jobs when we are on vacation.

I don’t think going up in the stands was the right thing to do, but I can see the point of view that he’s here vacationing and some A-hole didn’t seem to respect that so he went to put an end to it.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #245 on: January 19, 2016, 09:36:11 am »

Unfortunately, being a celebrity comes both with the possibility of drawing large endorsement contracts ($18.5 million in 2013), favorable vendor treatment, and invites to all the right places and all the right races (more than $12 mil in winnings) - but it also comes with being a target for blowhards. He spent decades working on building up his brand to get to the exact spot he is now, and along the way he gained a huge following and a group of detractors. It isn't like he "quietly" amassed his ~$70mil fortune.   His celebrity is a large part of what made him wealthy, and he often enjoys it. But  it isn't something you can just "turn off" when you want to go on vacation any more than the Nike Swoosh can become anonymous.

I completely understand getting irritated at a drunken idiot who is harassing you from the stands. I get that Stewart wasn't there to compete, to cause issues, or to do much of anything other than spend some downtime (yes track maintenance, but for those guys that's downtime).  The drunk was being an donkey, but he paid to be there and was yelling things from the stands at an employee of the venue... which happens constantly in many sporting events.

Can you imagine a coach or a ref running into the stands to confront a hostile and drunken fan?

Stewart react as many people would expect Stewart to react. Did you see anyone in the stands that seemed shocked? Of course not. The guy is a well known hot-head. There's a decent chance the drunk was trying to goad him into reacting to have a story to tell. Stewart could have just as easily asked the race to toss the drunk.

And eventually the drunk was tossed, rightfully so. Stewart faces no real consequence, rightfully so, but should be embarrassed and will be reminded of this in his pending wrongful death lawsuit ("And you regularly lose control and seek confrontation, don't you Mr. Stewart? And those confrontations often turn physical, isn't that true?").

I'm not picking on Stewart, I may have done the exact same thing. But I don't have a lot of sympathy either...

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #246 on: January 19, 2016, 09:41:36 am »

Bullshit...

Catchy comeback... always know how to turn a phrase, don't ya...

But once the source is considered, well, yeah, we know...that's the best you can do!  Moment of silence for the less capable...

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Vashta Nerada
Philanthropist

« Reply #247 on: January 22, 2016, 07:38:01 pm »

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/crimewatch/off-duty-tcso-corporal-under-personnel-investigation-for-dustup-with/article_6ff7a3fa-d92d-5ebc-9a7e-9c2add165671.html
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #248 on: January 23, 2016, 11:52:47 am »

Another minute or so of video was released by TCSO, showing drug cops searching the wrong apartment and consoling themselves after the shooting.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/crimewatch/newly-released-video-shows-awkward-service-of-eric-harris-search/article_05bd1a81-9a82-5133-b63e-c5245bcc0a00.html

So, why not all the video at this point?

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #249 on: January 25, 2016, 08:32:43 am »

So, why not all the video at this point?

Because they are trying to protect themselves and serve their own interests. You'll get what transparency we give you citizen, and you'll like it! And don't give me that civilian oversight BS, we can police ourselves thank you very much. What organization, group of people, or profession with enormous power and no oversight has ever gotten themselves into trouble due to lack of oversight?

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Vashta Nerada
Philanthropist

« Reply #250 on: February 07, 2016, 04:03:42 pm »

Chicago was not an aberration in 1968. Just the most visible. Tulsa in 1968 liked their activist policing. Long hairs and afro's were in a hostile environment.

How low can you go?

A white Chicago police officer who fatally shot a black 19-year-old college student and accidentally killed a woman has filed a lawsuit against the teenager's estate, arguing the shooting was forced by the teen's actions and caused the officer "extreme emotional trauma."
 “After this coward shot a teenager in the back ... he has the temerity to sue him? That’s a new low for the Chicago Police Department,” Foutris said.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-robert-rialmo-quintonio-legrier-20160206-story.html

Lawyers for Antonio LeGrier and for Jones argue that evidence shows Rialmo was as far as  20 or 30 feet away when he fired his weapon, according to the AP.
Foutris told the AP that he’s skeptical about the idea that LeGrier would attack police, considering he’s the one who had called them to the residence in the first place.
“If you’re calling multiple times for help, are you going to charge a police officer and try to hit him with a bat?” he said. “That’s ridiculous.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2016/02/07/after-killing-college-student-and-55-year-old-mother-cop-sues-for-extreme-emotional-trauma/
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #251 on: February 08, 2016, 08:27:44 am »

How low can you go?

This has ZERO to do with the topic of this thread. There actually is news on the subject matter of this thread, and you are polluting it with unrelated stuff. Go start a thread called "bad things police do" and just post away...

In actual news...

Turns out the Sheriff's Department may have attempted to influence the investigation into the shooting. Also, they may have a policy of trying to discourage people from getting attorneys because they make the Sheriff's job harder, and in civil suits end up getting more money.  Color me shocked!

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #252 on: February 08, 2016, 10:59:39 am »

In actual news...

Turns out the Sheriff's Department may have attempted to influence the investigation into the shooting. Also, they may have a policy of trying to discourage people from getting attorneys because they make the Sheriff's job harder, and in civil suits end up getting more money.  Color me shocked!

The depth and thoroughness of this reporting serves as a reminder of why we still need newspapers.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #253 on: February 10, 2016, 10:19:03 am »

The Frontier has posted a link to 341 pages of grand jury transcript.

https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/2708087/Grand-Jury-Testimony.pdf

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #254 on: February 10, 2016, 12:18:19 pm »

The Frontier has posted a link to 341 pages of grand jury transcript.

https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/2708087/Grand-Jury-Testimony.pdf

Ugh...dude's full name is "Billy Joe..."
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 23   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org