A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 01:34:04 am
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 23   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tulsa County Sheriff shooting of Eric Harris  (Read 189232 times)
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #210 on: December 03, 2015, 09:11:54 am »

Tulsa handled the situation way, way better than Chicago did. Tulsa released the video in a somewhat timely manner and the DA announced charges in a reasonable period of time. When it turned out the Sheriff appeared to be lying and changing his story, a group of citizens got a petition together and indicted the Sheriff.

Obviously there were problems, that's why it happened in the first place. But the response, though at times messy and fought by those in power, turned out the way it should have. You can dang near hold it up as an example.

Chicago--- on the other hand. Flat out refused to turn over the video, actively deleted other videos and discouraged witnesses, and only after a lawsuit and 13 months did they release the video. Only THEN was the incident taken seriously and action started. It's pretty clear what would have happened if that lawsuit wouldn't have forced the video to the surface - the plan was the incident would just fade away. And it almost certainly would have.

That indicates a much bigger problem. Not only was the department working to forge statements from the officers, but the department administrators who saw the video were quiet about it. The internal affairs (or equivelent) did nothing. The DAs office. The Mayors office. Everyone with power either did nothing, took the police word for it, or participated in the cover up.

The video goes public and suddenly the DA files charges, interviews about the Burger King video surface, and commissioner is canned, and its a big dang deal.

Gee--- think releasing such videos is important? This is nothing new. It is just now there is a way to hold government agents accountable (when we catch them on video).

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #211 on: December 03, 2015, 10:12:59 am »

Tulsa handled the situation way, way better than Chicago did. Tulsa released the video in a somewhat timely manner and the DA announced charges in a reasonable period of time. When it turned out the Sheriff appeared to be lying and changing his story, a group of citizens got a petition together and indicted the Sheriff.

Obviously there were problems, that's why it happened in the first place. But the response, though at times messy and fought by those in power, turned out the way it should have. You can dang near hold it up as an example.

Chicago--- on the other hand. Flat out refused to turn over the video, actively deleted other videos and discouraged witnesses, and only after a lawsuit and 13 months did they release the video. Only THEN was the incident taken seriously and action started. It's pretty clear what would have happened if that lawsuit wouldn't have forced the video to the surface - the plan was the incident would just fade away. And it almost certainly would have.

That indicates a much bigger problem. Not only was the department working to forge statements from the officers, but the department administrators who saw the video were quiet about it. The internal affairs (or equivelent) did nothing. The DAs office. The Mayors office. Everyone with power either did nothing, took the police word for it, or participated in the cover up.

The video goes public and suddenly the DA files charges, interviews about the Burger King video surface, and commissioner is canned, and its a big dang deal.

Gee--- think releasing such videos is important? This is nothing new. It is just now there is a way to hold government agents accountable (when we catch them on video).

I agree completely. A bad shooting happened in Tulsa, the shooter was charged and everyone involved all the way up to the Sheriff is no longer a cop. That's the way it should be.  

I will also point out, the shooting here seems to have been an accident. Chicago was hiding a flat out cold blooded murder by a cop.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #212 on: December 03, 2015, 12:10:27 pm »

Chicago was hiding a flat out cold blooded murder by a cop.

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #213 on: December 03, 2015, 01:48:50 pm »

I agree completely. A bad shooting happened in Tulsa, the shooter was charged and everyone involved all the way up to the Sheriff is no longer a cop. That's the way it should be.  

I will also point out, the shooting here seems to have been an accident. Chicago was hiding a flat out cold blooded murder by a cop.

Looking at the timeline, http://www.scrippsmedia.com/kfaq/news/KFAQ-Timeline-of-Events-Leading-Up-to-Indictments-330155301.html 
Im sure TCSO believed at first that a finger in the dike would have done the trick (sacrificing Bates) but no ones hands were clean enough for the task.  The sheriff claimed transparency yet threw everything he could in the path of it.

Whereas Chicago's mayor just wanted to be re-elected.

It took a still-secret city whistleblower, an autopsy report, and a $5-million city settlement with the McDonald family for the public to have any sense that what happened on October 20 did not match what the police originally reported.
http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2015/11/who-can-see-video-of-a-killing/417684/

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Vashta Nerada
Philanthropist

« Reply #214 on: December 03, 2015, 07:46:27 pm »

Not completely true.
The members of the elite Violent Crimes Task Force (including the still-redacted stormtroopers in the "F* Your Breath" video) are still in the plans to resume business as usual.

Oh and did you see who wrote that timeline for KFAQ?

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #215 on: December 03, 2015, 10:15:47 pm »

Not completely true.
The members of the elite Violent Crimes Task Force (including the still-redacted stormtroopers in the "F* Your Breath" video) are still in the plans to resume business as usual.

Oh and did you see who wrote that timeline for KFAQ?

I'm pretty sure that both the "breath" cops quit under pressure and dad that was head of the unit was fired.
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #216 on: December 05, 2015, 10:39:39 am »

Chicago was hiding a flat out cold blooded murder by a cop.

The worse thing is, it wasnt conspiracy, but routine. 

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-laquan-mcdonald-chicago-police-reports-met-20151204-story.html

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #217 on: December 05, 2015, 11:30:16 am »

So you agree that however bad TCSO was with good ole boy corruption and cowboy cops for pay it came no where close to what Chicago is. And where Chicago still is while in Tulsa the Sheriff's office has been correctly gutted of it's bad leadership.
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #218 on: December 05, 2015, 12:56:26 pm »

So you agree that however bad TCSO was with good ole boy corruption and cowboy cops for pay it came no where close to what Chicago is. And where Chicago still is while in Tulsa the Sheriff's office has been correctly gutted of it's bad leadership.

To answer a question like that, we would have to know how much of that culture still permeates a given department.

“My bosses knew what I was doing out there,” he said, “and it went on and on. And this wasn’t the exception to the rule. This was the rule.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/11/25/chicago-cop-charged-in-deadly-shooting-has-a-history-of-misconduct-complaints

Vashta Nerada
Philanthropist

« Reply #219 on: December 07, 2015, 10:34:09 pm »

I'm pretty sure that both the "breath" cops quit under pressure and dad that was head of the unit was fired.

Where did you hear that?  Can you provide a source?  Link?

OTOH if they weren't made to surrender their CLEET permits then working for Jenks or Bixby or Tulsa Public Schools police is little more than a costume change.
I think we have the right to know that.

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #220 on: December 07, 2015, 11:09:23 pm »

Where did you hear that?  Can you provide a source?  Link?

OTOH if they weren't made to surrender their CLEET permits then working for Jenks or Bixby or Tulsa Public Schools police is little more than a costume change.
I think we have the right to know that.

It was in the World, but IIRC both quit, not fired so I would assume they can work wherever they want.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #221 on: December 10, 2015, 01:19:09 pm »

The worse thing is, it wasnt conspiracy, but routine. 

The Chicago Cesspool Authority (aka, police department) has been the way they are for...well, basically forever.  Look up the old videos of the joy they took in beating/maiming people during the 1968 Democratic Convention....

We still fight the same ole battles.  Still have the 'pending Apocalypse' fears.  Still pondering the Eve of Destruction....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QslV5asj_yM&index=8&list=RDGKaYOW9zMoY

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #222 on: December 17, 2015, 12:54:01 pm »

Couldn't remember where the main conversation for the Sheriff election was so I'll place this here:

Election Board Scratches 3 of 4 Challenged Tulsa Sheriff's Candidates

http://publicradiotulsa.org/post/election-board-scratches-3-4-challenged-tulsa-sheriffs-candidates

One challenged candidate in the Tulsa Sheriff’s race will stay on the ballot. Three others, after hearings before the Election Board, are removed. Of the four challenged, only John Fitzpatrick was deemed qualified. He says he was surprised he was challenged in the first place, but confident he meet the requirements.

Arthur Jackson and Eric Richter were stricken from the candidate list for not meeting qualifications to run in the parties where they registered. Candidate Henry Jones did not show for his hearing. He’s wanted on outstanding warrants. Ten candidates are left. The primary is March 1st.

On a side note...the picture below of the election board...you can practically smell the sexual tension.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #223 on: December 17, 2015, 01:10:27 pm »

If I had outstanding warrants, I don’t think I’d be running for Sheriff, but I’m weird that way.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Vashta Nerada
Philanthropist

« Reply #224 on: December 20, 2015, 05:50:10 pm »

The Chicago Cesspool Authority (aka, police department) has been the way they are for...well, basically forever.  Look up the old videos of the joy they took in beating/maiming people during the 1968 Democratic Convention....

The 1968 "police riots" were Chicago PD's high water mark.
We know some police who still wear that watershed moment in Chicago's history like a badge of honor.
http://chicagoist.com/2012/05/10/video_alleges_police_intimidation_o.php

"See these guys know, '68, these guys know all about '68," one voice allegedly belonging to a police officer says to the protesters. "What did they say back in '68?" one officer asks.
"Billy club to the fu5king skull."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TudIyxxAboA   and unedited version  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxBJIWdHvD0

When police found out about the video, they arrested them for terrorism.

The most interesting tidbit of information fueling the rumor mill is whether the three (terrorism) suspects have been targeted because of a candid video they shot and released the previous week, showing CPD officers searching their car and intimidating them as they entered Chicago. The video, which gleaned considerable online attention, showed one officer recommending that protesters receive “a billy club to the bucking skull.”
http://www.salon.com/2012/05/22/fishy_arrests_in_chicago/

Same faces, different lies:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcS5P3oFhZM

But you dont have to go to 1968 for the Status Quo:

A Cook County judge on Monday acquitted Chicago police Cmdr. Glenn Evans on charges he shoved his gun down a man's throat in spite of evidence showing the alleged victim's DNA on Evans' gun.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-chicago-police-glenn-evans-trial-verdict-20151214-story.html

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 23   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org