A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:50:58 am
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 23   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tulsa County Sheriff shooting of Eric Harris  (Read 187577 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

Re:
« Reply #135 on: April 29, 2015, 02:01:10 pm »

The Frontier has done excellent coverage on this story due to sources inside TCSO. I've followed their Twitter feed for the latest: @readfrontier

As I understand The Frontier is a few ex-Tulsa World writers including Cary Aspenwall and Kevin Canfield.  They are totally fearless in their reporting.  Makes me wonder who underwrote the cost to lure some great writers away from the TW.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
cynical
Civic Leader

Re:
« Reply #136 on: April 29, 2015, 02:12:45 pm »

Bobby Lorton

As I understand The Frontier is a few ex-Tulsa World writers including Cary Aspenwall and Kevin Canfield.  They are totally fearless in their reporting.  Makes me wonder who underwrote the cost to lure some great writers away from the TW.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

Re:
« Reply #137 on: April 29, 2015, 02:40:39 pm »

Bobby Lorton

The two who initially were reporting on the TCSO story (Ziva Branstetter and Dylan Goforth) also have landed there.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #138 on: April 29, 2015, 02:41:34 pm »

Isn't the Goforth family the same that owned Fourth National years ago? I worked for a paint store back in 1981 that was owned by Conover and Sutton (Bob Sutton of Sutton Oil and the giving angel for Drillers stadium until he was found to be corrupt) and the person that signed the paychecks was Betty Goforth.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

Re:
« Reply #139 on: April 29, 2015, 02:54:46 pm »

Bobby Lorton

Thank you.  Doing some more digging it appears they will be subscription-only with no advertising.  Pretty good gamble but it makes them accountable to no one other than their subscribers.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Vashta Nerada
Philanthropist

« Reply #140 on: May 02, 2015, 05:18:55 pm »

Former prosecutors have said insurance executive Robert Bates could have easily been charged with first degree manslaughter instead of 2nd degree.

Tulsa Sheriff Stanely Glanz should be charged with reckless endangerment for allowing his good friend, campaign contributor, and department sugar daddy, pay-to-play deputy sheriff and carry a gun and taser with fatal results.

http://www.cleveland.com/darcy/index.ssf/2015/04/police_shooting_videos_darcy_c.html

Prosecutors just cant take off the kid gloves?
Bail for Baltimore protestors is twice that of the bail for the officers charged in the murder that sparked the protests.
http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/teen-faces-higher-bail-baltimore-cops-accused-murder

« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 06:42:28 pm by Vashta Nerada » Logged
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #141 on: May 03, 2015, 07:45:34 am »

This kind of thing, be it accidental or blatant misconduct, has been happening for decades. The only reason not punishing police for killing civilians is controversial now is because of video. When there is no video, there still is no charge.  Unless the Feds come in, life departments and officers will not get in trouble.

Hence, the fake outrage over body cameras.

Anyone recall a corrupt, violent, or murderous officer getting punished without video evidence that was leaked to the public first?

Anyone think departments don't know of police who are corrupt, violent, or murderous who deserve to be punished?

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Vashta Nerada
Philanthropist

« Reply #142 on: May 03, 2015, 05:09:12 pm »

This kind of thing, be it accidental or blatant misconduct, has been happening for decades. The only reason not punishing police for killing civilians is controversial now is because of video. When there is no video, there still is no charge.  Unless the Feds come in, life departments and officers will not get in trouble.

Hence, the fake outrage over body cameras.

Anyone recall a corrupt, violent, or murderous officer getting punished without video evidence that was leaked to the public first?

Anyone think departments don't know of police who are corrupt, violent, or murderous who deserve to be punished?

Lance LoRusso, an attorney who spent 12 years as an officer in Cobb County, Georgia, said he doesn’t necessarily think police brutality is on the rise, but the use of technology — both by citizens and police officers — is.

“If you see a video of a convenience store robbery and an officer walks in and just shoots the suspect who is pointing a gun at the clerk, [people might ask], ‘Don’t you have to give warning first?’ The answer is no,” said LoRusso, the author of “When Cops Kill.” “Not only can they [just take the shot], but in many situations, they must.”

...but if the "suspect" is actually a Concealed Carry permit holder who, in the moments prior, just thwarted a robbery and saved the lives of the clerk and customers, the officers "shoot first and ask questions later" action fails to serve the public safety.

John Whitehead, a constitutional law and human rights attorney who founded the civil liberties nonprofit Rutherford Institute, says the inappropriate use of force by cops is not only on the rise, but it’s a “huge crisis” that people are “starting to wake up to.”

Whitehead, author of “Battlefield America: The War on the American People,” said the tactics used by police today would not have been seen 30 years ago, arguing that training changed after 9/11 with the establishment of the Department of Homeland Security.

“The military trains a lot of the SWAT teams,” he said. “When SWAT teams come in the door … they’re coming in as military now.”

“The old view of a policeman was ‘protect and serve;’ you don’t see that anymore. When a policeman looks at you now he looks at you differently,”

Whitehead added, noting that officers often refer to citizens as “civilians” now, something he think also speaks to the militarization of the force.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015/04/24/is-police-brutality-really-on-the-rise/

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #143 on: May 05, 2015, 11:10:24 am »

"I'd known Tim for quite ahile and had a lot of trust in him. Maybe I had too much trust." - Sheriff Stanley Glanz, on former Undersheriff Tim Albin.  Front page, Tulsa World, 5/5/2015.

That noise you hear is a subordinate getting thrown under the bus. Hard.

Stanley Glanz was friends with the guy. Stanley went on trips with him and showed off pictures of the two fishing together. Appointed him the chair of his election campaign. Took money from him. Allowed the department to take gifts from him. Was the person that Bates name dropped when he was called out for crap. Stanely was the guy that stood up for Bates and said everything was fine, the training was up to date, and there had never been any problems. Stanely is the guy who appointed Albin and supervised him.

But this mess is Albin's fault?

Coward.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #144 on: May 05, 2015, 11:27:04 am »

"I'd known Tim for quite ahile and had a lot of trust in him. Maybe I had too much trust." - Sheriff Stanley Glanz, on former Undersheriff Tim Albin.  Front page, Tulsa World, 5/5/2015.

That noise you hear is a subordinate getting thrown under the bus. Hard.

Stanley Glanz was friends with the guy. Stanley went on trips with him and showed off pictures of the two fishing together. Appointed him the chair of his election campaign. Took money from him. Allowed the department to take gifts from him. Was the person that Bates name dropped when he was called out for crap. Stanely was the guy that stood up for Bates and said everything was fine, the training was up to date, and there had never been any problems. Stanely is the guy who appointed Albin and supervised him.

But this mess is Albin's fault?

Coward.

He didn’t just throw him under it, he threw it in reverse and backed over him for good measure.

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #145 on: May 05, 2015, 11:48:57 am »

He didn’t just throw him under it, he threw it in reverse and backed over him for good measure.

Glanz is a d!ck.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #146 on: May 05, 2015, 04:20:30 pm »

For some reason, Julius' little march just seems so appropriate right here...right now....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_B0CyOAO8y0

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #147 on: May 06, 2015, 02:28:05 pm »

The Frontier is good work.  Going to be a PITA if/when they go subscription-only.

Protest group seeking grand jury on sheriff’s office
By DYLAN GOFORTH and ZIVA BRANSTETTER

https://medium.com/@readfrontier/protest-group-seeking-grand-jury-on-sheriff-s-office-b1b324ebfe6b?source=latest

The Tulsa County Sheriff’s Office has paid more than $700,000 from the jail tax fund during the past four years to outside law firms to defend an avalanche of civil rights lawsuits against the sheriff and his employees, an investigation by The Frontier has found.

https://medium.com/@readfrontier/frontier-exclusive-sheriff-paid-outside-attorneys-700-000-from-jail-fund-to-defend-civil-rights-81d4c0d33bfb?source=latest

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #148 on: May 07, 2015, 12:20:52 pm »

The Frontier is good work.  Going to be a PITA if/when they go subscription-only.

The Tulsa County Sheriff’s Office has paid more than $700,000 from the jail tax fund during the past four years to outside law firms to defend an avalanche of civil rights lawsuits against the sheriff and his employees, an investigation by The Frontier has found.

https://medium.com/@readfrontier/frontier-exclusive-sheriff-paid-outside-attorneys-700-000-from-jail-fund-to-defend-civil-rights-81d4c0d33bfb?source=latest

Mayor Has Jail Questions

http://publicradiotulsa.org/post/mayor-has-jail-questions

Mayor Bartlett is raising questions regarding a $700,000 expenditure of Tulsa County Jail funding. A published report by the Frontier says the money was used to pay for legal representation in civil rights lawsuits.

Mayor Bartlett is not sure that is a wise use of jail funding, when the district attorney's office could represent the county. He also questions the legality of using jail funding for a purpose other than funding the operation of the jail.

This is all tied to the growing scandal involving the Tulsa County Sheriff's office following the death of suspect by a reserve deputy. The City and the County have been at odds over the jail operation for years.
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #149 on: May 09, 2015, 08:53:31 am »

Yep, this is Pat Campbells favorite topic.

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 23   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org