A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:45:09 am
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 23   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tulsa County Sheriff shooting of Eric Harris  (Read 187466 times)
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #105 on: April 24, 2015, 06:40:10 pm »

I hope he left a tip after that fluff job.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #106 on: April 24, 2015, 09:20:31 pm »

No one said he was a bad guy, a racist, heartless murderer. He is a victim of his own largesse. The system found a whale and proceeded to harvest it.

I have no problem with him, other than he became accustomed to preferential treatment right up to his trip to the Bahamas. Now, it turns out, he didn't even consider us his family home. Big deal. Florida is great if you have the money to live there.

I could care less about Bates at this point, he screwed up and cost someone their life, that’s the fact.  Why was he there in the first place?  If the TCSO were run differently, he would not have been anywhere close to an operation like that and Harris might still be alive, albeit in jail.  I’m more upset about the cavalier attitude of Glanz, Albin, et. al. which allowed this to finally play out.  There were obvious competence issues which were known to the SD which were continually ignored.

The other part which pisses me off equally is the national media’s constant drum beat of: "white cop shoots black man”.  They keep trying to fan the flames of racism even though that’s been well-established this was not the issue here.  Gives better insight into how this has spun out of control on some other nationally notable shootings.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 09:23:04 pm by Conan71 » Logged

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #107 on: April 24, 2015, 09:32:45 pm »

I could care less about Bates at this point, he screwed up and cost someone their life, that’s the fact.  Why was he there in the first place?  If the TCSO were run differently, he would not have been anywhere close to an operation like that and Harris might still be alive, albeit in jail.  I’m more upset about the cavalier attitude of Glanz, Albin, et. al. which allowed this to finally play out.  There were obvious competence issues which were known to the SD which were continually ignored.

The other part which pisses me off equally is the national media’s constant drum beat of: "white cop shoots black man”.  They keep trying to fan the flames of racism even though that’s been well-established this was not the issue here.  Gives better insight into how this has spun out of control on some other nationally notable shootings.

Agree completely, this one isn't about race, it's about cronyism and corruption in the Sheriff's office. Let's make sure the right issue in TCSO is addressed.
Vashta Nerada
Philanthropist

« Reply #108 on: April 24, 2015, 09:45:17 pm »

Hows this for doublespeak?

“The release of this document(s) was unauthorized and we are examining how the release occurred. No action was taken at the time, but the existence of this document demonstrates this office’s willingness to investigate and review any allegations of policy violations. We will not comment further."
http://www.fox23.com/news/news/local/document-reveals-concerns-over-robert-bates-past-a/nk2xd/#sthash.AFxwf9rf.dpuf

Vashta Nerada
Philanthropist

« Reply #109 on: April 24, 2015, 09:48:11 pm »

What. The. Hell.

Brewster is not helping.

His argument is that selling a firearm for $300 to an old white man meant that Eric Harris was prepared to die? He ran from the police because he wanted to die? He cried out "I can't get my breath" because he wanted to die?

Stupid comment.

The video dump backfires on TCSO... It shows entrapment, and incompetence (the undercover left his walkie talkie on), and they cant even set the correct date and time on the "tamper-proof" screen clock.

http://www.fox23.com/videos/news/tulsa-sheriffs-office-releases-video-of-drug-buy/vDQKqx/

They still see themselves as completely blameless.... even Glanz didnt think it important enough to interrupt his vacation....but Sheriff "We got a law passed that lets us destroy certain records" can use the word "transparency" all he wants....

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #110 on: April 25, 2015, 08:35:30 am »

The 2008 report isn't important. The CBS story on the 2009 investigation, no big deal. The Tulsa World story on forged records that have now disappeared - so what?

Don't forget the reporters being threatened if they don't leave their jobs.

Wonder if either is still in town...usually ya get 'till sundown to get outa town...

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #111 on: April 25, 2015, 08:37:14 am »

District Attorney Looking Into Tulsa County Sheriff Beyond Manslaughter Case

http://publicradiotulsa.org/post/district-attorney-looking-tulsa-county-sheriff-beyond-manslaughter-case

It's not serious - it's typical "Tim Harris" department whitewash waving of hands.  As evidenced by 'manslaughter' charge.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Vashta Nerada
Philanthropist

« Reply #112 on: April 25, 2015, 05:17:48 pm »

FBI says we're okay so that's that. Nothing to see here, move along.

By now it should be obvious that TCSO has a cozy relationship with the FBI that TPD doesnt.
Vashta Nerada
Philanthropist

« Reply #113 on: April 25, 2015, 05:21:16 pm »

It's interesting neither the mayor nor the city council pulled their heads out of the sand during the TPD corruption scandal, yet now...

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #114 on: April 26, 2015, 12:34:43 pm »

I hate liars. HATE.

No policy violations - was using unauthorized gun.
Bates was fully trained - well known internally he wasn't trained.
Internal investigation did not produce a report - there absolutely was a report.

This is just a tiny example of the overt lies that we now know of. These are not mistakes. These are examples of an elected official lying to the public to cover up the negligent killing of a citizen and internal cronyism.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #115 on: April 26, 2015, 04:09:11 pm »

I hate liars. HATE.

Internal investigation did not produce a report - there absolutely was a report.

This is just a tiny example of the overt lies that we now know of. These are not mistakes. These are examples of an elected official lying to the public to cover up the negligent killing of a citizen and internal cronyism.

And refusing all comment to his constituents now.

Glanz is an donkey and has to go.
Vashta Nerada
Philanthropist

« Reply #116 on: April 26, 2015, 05:25:26 pm »

Sadly we are still getting international attention on this. From the UK to Brazil people don't understand what happened. In the UK (as reported by Vice News) they don't understand why someone who is akin to a safety patrol was hunting down felons while armed with a gun (only elite forces have guns in Britain, and they shoot at less criminals in a decade than we kill in a year, hell, maybe even a month). In Brazil they don't understand why a retired person was allowed to pay money in order to play western sheriff.

The repeated insistence that there were no policy violations is scary. Not sure if it is bad because they sooo want it to be true they just keep repeating it, because they really think it is true, or, god forbid, because an under-trained conflict ridden volunteer employee can use an authorized gun to accidentally kill someone and somehow actually not violate any policies.

Having every half-truth or outright boastful lie scrutinized and debunked by some of the worlds best journalists does actually result in a form of "transparency," but obvously not what the people under the microscope would prefer.

It may be harsh medicine, but its exactly what we need.
Vashta Nerada
Philanthropist

« Reply #117 on: April 26, 2015, 06:51:14 pm »

I don't know if this is true, but a comment on the TW site said that there is no recall mechanism for a Sheriff in Oklahoma. If true then we are stuck with him until decides to leave or is voted out.

TW responds:

Ouster proceedings are unusual in recent decades, but not unheard of. In 2010, Pawnee County Sheriff Roger Price was removed from office after a jury convicted him on two counts of willful neglect.

Removal of public officials not subject to impeachment is dealt with in at least one portion of the state constitution and two sections of state statutes.

Article 8, Section 2 of the constitution provides for removal of “All elective officers, not liable to impeachment ... in such manner and for such causes as may be provided by law.”

Title 22, Chapter 23 and Title 51, Chapter 3 of the state statutes both lay out ouster procedures. The laws date from 1910 and 1917, respectively, and appear to be little changed from when they were used to remove Tulsa Police Chief John Gustafson from office following the 1921 Tulsa Race Riot.

Ouster proceedings can be initiated by the governor, the public or, in the case of county officials, the three county commissioners or two county commissioners and the county treasurer.

The last case applies only when the subject of the ouster is the remaining county commissioner.

Title 51 allows the public to petition the attorney general to initiate proceedings at the request of “1 percent of the registered voters that voted in the previous election ... .”

Under Title 22, a complaint must be submitted to a grand jury. Title 22 is somewhat broader in its description of grounds for impeachment, listing habitual or willful neglect of duty, gross partiality, oppression, corruption, extortion, willful maladministration, habitual drunkenness and failure to account for public funds and property.

Generally, the process is similar under both titles. The charges are investigated, usually by the attorney general’s office, and, if warranted, an ouster trial is held.

Typically, such trials are in district court, but in some cases the state Supreme Court can claim original jurisdiction.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/capitol_report/ouster-of-county-officials-unusual-but-not-without-precedent/article_beac54e0-c873-5c42-83af-f12ca535f966.html

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #118 on: April 26, 2015, 07:26:51 pm »

I hate liars. HATE.

You can't be surprised.  This has been going on for a very, very, long time.  In too many arenas....

AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #119 on: April 26, 2015, 07:49:05 pm »

Well, I for one am surprised and I've lived here a long time. You have to have faith in leaders and policing or you have chaos. Am I surprised that absolute power is absolutely corrupting? No.

Look, we are a stratified community. A fairly large, imaginary wall protects those with money, education and power from those who have little of each. Only if you've spent time in the lower echelons of the populace have you had a chance to see the crap some of these guys get away with. Its usually considered anecdotal and not part of the system by those of us with faith.

Now we have to wonder if we've deceived ourselves and if we really care since its outside the walls.

onward...through the fog
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 23   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org