A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:32:13 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Turkey Mountain outlet mall case asked to be postponed till June.  (Read 6887 times)
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« on: March 30, 2015, 06:53:11 pm »

http://www.tulsaworld.com/homepagelatest/developer-of-proposed-mall-near-turkey-mountain-seeks-to-postpone/article_eebe1c25-4b5b-5d82-8b13-e1d0d36238c7.html

The proposed outlet mall near Turkey Mountain may well be built one day, but the project no longer seems to be on the fast track. For the second time in a month, the developer, Simon Property Group, has asked the Planning Commission to postpone a public hearing on zoning changes the company is requesting to make the project possible.

“We are requesting a continuance to address questions that have come up about the project,” Les Morris, a spokesman for Indianapolis-based Simon Property, said in an email. Simon’s hearing before the Tulsa Metropolitan Area Planning Commission had originally been planned for March 18. But the developer asked that it be rescheduled to April 15.

The latest request, which must be approved by the Planning Commission, seeks to have the hearing moved to June 17.
Tulsa Premium Outlets would cover more than 48 acres of private property on the corner of U.S. 75 and 61st Street — adjacent to the River Parks Turkey Mountain Urban Wilderness Area — and include more than 350,000 square feet of leasable space, according to the plans.

The only entrance to the mall would be off 61st Street. Many of the questions that Simon is attempting to answer were raised at a heavily attended public meeting two weeks ago at Marriott Tulsa Hotel Southern Hills. Few speakers favored the project at its proposed site, saying it would destroy a prized wilderness area while straining an already overtaxed public infrastructure system.
“We would love to see it go somewhere else,” said Laurie Biby, public relations coordinator for the Tulsa Urban Wilderness Coalition. “We have no bad feelings for Simon, we just wish they would look at another site.”

Biby said the coalition’s biggest concern is the potential damage that runoff would cause to the nearby Westside YMCA and the pristine Mooser Creek. “That is something we really need to take into account — the quality of life issue in Tulsa,” she said.
Simon, owner of Woodland Hills Mall, announced plans to construct the upscale outlet mall last year.

The developer is seeking to rezone most of the property to make it all corridor zoning and create an overlay district — called a corridor development plan — that would set out the specific development requirements. The YMCA of Greater Tulsa Board of Directors has said it would not support the construction of the proposed mall if the development does not include some of the board’s recommendations for the project, according to a letter the YMCA provided to city councilors.

The mall would be built directly north of the Westside YMCA summer camp, which serves approximately 3,600 young people each year. Biby said she hopes Tulsa residents concerned about the proposed mall will stay engaged in the process.
“Because by no means do we think we are done with this,” she said.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 10:35:36 pm »

It’s actually directly south of the Y.  Directly north might put it in the middle of I-44.  Grin

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 08:26:12 am »

BOOM! The people have spoken and the results are in. Turkey Mountain is saved.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/blogs/news/cityhall/outlet-mall-developer-abandons-turkey-mountain-site-for-jenks-location/article_4051818f-3b68-51a0-be84-f206b763e212.html

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 01:40:04 pm »

Not out of the woods quite yet, but much closer.  Remember, this site does have commercial zoning already in place.  The land needs to be purchased and taken out of play for good:

http://www.tulsaurbanwildernesscoalition.org/?p=845

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 01:52:25 pm »

Not out of the woods quite yet, but much closer.  Remember, this site does have commercial zoning already in place.  The land needs to be purchased and taken out of play for good:

http://www.tulsaurbanwildernesscoalition.org/?p=845

I wonder if George K might want the rest of it?

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2015, 03:01:37 pm »

I wonder if George K might want the rest of it?

They have committed a huge chunk to The Gathering Place for now.  People within GKFF are aware of the situation, but no one has made any sort of commitment, that’s why TUWC is now leading a public fund-raising effort, we can’t count on anyone to step in.  My sincerest hope is we can raise a good portion, a large donor will take notice and provide the balance.

dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2015, 03:08:51 pm »

Oh no, you mentioned GKFF  and Gathering Place in one thread. This means Uncle Kimchi will be along shortly...............
cynical
Civic Leader

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2015, 03:15:22 pm »

Don't forget to consider a preservation easement as an alternative to outright purchase. The Nature Conservancy uses those frequently. Define a narrow range of appropriate uses and make periodic payments to the owner to not do anything beyond that. You can't force it on the owner, of course, but they might be willing to discuss it. Tie it to payments for the right to use the existing trail across that property.

They have committed a huge chunk to The Gathering Place for now.  People within GKFF are aware of the situation, but no one has made any sort of commitment, that’s why TUWC is now leading a public fund-raising effort, we can’t count on anyone to step in.  My sincerest hope is we can raise a good portion, a large donor will take notice and provide the balance.

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2015, 06:52:53 am »

Don't forget to consider a preservation easement as an alternative to outright purchase.

That is what I now do for a living. I am trying to buy conservation easements on these type of properties.

rdj
City Father

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2015, 07:17:28 am »

That is what I now do for a living. I am trying to buy conservation easements on these type of properties.

These types of properties...or...this property?  Smiley

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
rebound
City Father

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2015, 08:45:50 am »

These types of properties...or...this property?  Smiley

Inquiring minds want to know...
(seriously, that would be awesome if the NC could get involved.)

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2015, 09:42:35 am »

Be careful of Simon using Jenks to get Tulsa to cave on demands on the Turkey Mountain site.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2015, 08:17:02 am »

My job is with Land Legacy.
http://www.landlegacy.com/

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2015, 10:46:32 am »

Be careful of Simon using Jenks to get Tulsa to cave on demands on the Turkey Mountain site.

Politically-speaking, no one on the council wants to be in a position to have to approve a zoning change on this site.  That’s not to say that Simon hasn’t gone back to the drawing board and figured out how to construct their project in line with the existing zoning and meeting the requests of the neighboring Y camp.

Simon’s zoning hearing is still on the slate for June 17.  When I talked to Susan Miller at INCOG two weeks ago, they have heard nothing from Simon and nothing about the Simon project from their local attorney.  The property owners apparently have not even heard a word from Simon in a couple of months.  Their lack of communication with anyone is just astounding if they think they are forging ahead in Tulsa.

That’s why I think they are simply trying to smoke out Horizon and then won’t develop here after all.

rebound
City Father

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2015, 07:18:39 am »

My job is with Land Legacy.
http://www.landlegacy.com/

I knew that, my bad.   I know people that do or have worked for both and posted to quickly.  Still would be great to get you involved.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org