A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:34:03 pm
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cord Cutting in Tulsa  (Read 167022 times)
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #150 on: April 20, 2016, 09:27:19 am »

1. Amazon Fire TV (Smooth interface, speedy, has everything I need)
2. Roku (Nice interface, has HDCP handshaking problems on some TV's. Playstation Vue is not available and app interface for Amazon content is clunky and incomplete.)
3. Google Nexus Player or NVidia Shield (Would be #1 if Amazon and Playstation Vue were supported)
4. Apple TV (Typical Apple. It works but isn't anything special. No Amazon content or Playstation Vue)
5. Amazon Fire Stick (Same interface as Amazon Fire TV but is horribly under-powered)
6. Google Chromecast (IMO only good for streaming music)

Been looking at the TiVo Bolt for a DirecTiVo replacement, since im already addicted to the TiVo interface.
Neat thing about it is it treats OTA and streaming content the same, as far as searchability and program guides.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2015/11/04/review---tivo-bolt-stream-dvr-cord-shaver/75109560/

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Ibanez
City Father

« Reply #151 on: April 20, 2016, 10:01:15 am »

Been looking at the TiVo Bolt for a DirecTiVo replacement, since im already addicted to the TiVo interface.
Neat thing about it is it treats OTA and streaming content the same, as far as searchability and program guides.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2015/11/04/review---tivo-bolt-stream-dvr-cord-shaver/75109560/

Looked at that, but between the price and the lack of streaming apps it just wouldn't fit my needs.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #152 on: April 20, 2016, 10:09:21 am »

One more question: what would be the most compatible DVR device or service with Amazon Fire or do they have a cloud type storage service?

I rarely will record shows and most of what is on our current DirecTV storage are classic movies we store to watch from time-to-time.  With what looks like on-demand movies from multiple sources, I’m trying to figure out if we really even need a DVR.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #153 on: April 20, 2016, 11:04:03 am »

Just checked and Amazon is now offering the Fire with an H-D antenna bundle for $109.95.  Anyone have experience with the indoor HD antenna?  Seems like there would be a lot of signal loss through the walls and roof.

The antenna sucks...As do most of those type of antenna.....

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #154 on: April 20, 2016, 12:34:07 pm »

The antenna sucks...As do most of those type of antenna.....

Yeah, but you have tinfoil in your attic...

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Ibanez
City Father

« Reply #155 on: April 20, 2016, 02:30:43 pm »

One more question: what would be the most compatible DVR device or service with Amazon Fire or do they have a cloud type storage service?

I rarely will record shows and most of what is on our current DirecTV storage are classic movies we store to watch from time-to-time.  With what looks like on-demand movies from multiple sources, I’m trying to figure out if we really even need a DVR.

A DVR, IMO, it really that necessary. My wife argued with that so after some research I purchased a Tablo. The Channel Master DVR+ is also a good device with the one drawback it has being the fact it doesn't support multi-room viewing.

With the Tablo the FireTV becomes your go to device as you can access live TV and your recordings via the Tablo App on the Fire TV.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #156 on: April 20, 2016, 02:42:57 pm »

A DVR, IMO, it really that necessary. My wife argued with that so after some research I purchased a Tablo. The Channel Master DVR+ is also a good device with the one drawback it has being the fact it doesn't support multi-room viewing.

With the Tablo the FireTV becomes your go to device as you can access live TV and your recordings via the Tablo App on the Fire TV.

We have three TV’s and only watch one of them for entertainment so a multi-room DVR is of little use to me.  I might stream through my iPad in the workout room or put in a DVD or there’s an online cycling “game” of sorts called Zwift I stream from my Mac through that TV.

We’ve never turned the TV on in our bedroom since we moved to our new house two years ago.  I’ve never even plugged it in. 

Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #157 on: April 20, 2016, 08:52:46 pm »

Yeah, but you have tinfoil in your attic...

Would you like it back...Huh

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #158 on: April 21, 2016, 08:44:27 am »

Would you like it back...Huh

Serious note, would the signal improve if the crappy antenna were moved into the attic?

Ibanez
City Father

« Reply #159 on: April 21, 2016, 08:51:21 am »

Serious note, would the signal improve if the crappy antenna were moved into the attic?

I would think so. The higher the better. I'm guessing there would be less obstructions for the signal to pass through up there as well.
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #160 on: April 21, 2016, 09:06:41 am »

I bought a top of the line RCA antenna and placed it in the attic near the glass window vent. After correct orientation it works quite well with my Smart TV's. Got rid of the ROKU receiver and the only problem is the same we had in the 1950's, rain and wind cause erratic reception. Except for the dang religious channels.

onward...through the fog
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #161 on: April 21, 2016, 08:01:15 pm »

The build your own work better than any of them....I know several people that have done it....

carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #162 on: April 25, 2016, 06:59:13 am »

I really like my channel master DVR, not all over the air content is immediately available on demand. Plus with the DVR you don't need a HULU account.

I tried an indoor antenna and sent it back, Breadburner is right, there are tons of DIY antenna options on Youtube and a decent antenna is not that expensive at BestBuy. Put it in the attic or on the roof. My antenna reception and picture are much clearer than with Cox cable.
As Aquaman points out a storm can cause pixilation.

As soon as HBONow is available on PS3/PS4 then I am switching from Sling to Vue.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #163 on: April 25, 2016, 08:19:09 am »

I really like my channel master DVR, not all over the air content is immediately available on demand. Plus with the DVR you don't need a HULU account.

I tried an indoor antenna and sent it back, Breadburner is right, there are tons of DIY antenna options on Youtube and a decent antenna is not that expensive at BestBuy. Put it in the attic or on the roof. My antenna reception and picture are much clearer than with Cox cable.
As Aquaman points out a storm can cause pixilation.

As soon as HBONow is available on PS3/PS4 then I am switching from Sling to Vue.

My father-in-law claims he’s getting great over the air reception in the rural area where they live near Shawnee using a regular old TV aerial on a 20’ post on his land.  He says as long as you have the digital reception box, it’s all good.  I’ve got an abandoned analog-era aerial in my attic, so that would work with a digital receiver?

carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #164 on: April 25, 2016, 08:52:55 am »

My father-in-law claims he’s getting great over the air reception in the rural area where they live near Shawnee using a regular old TV aerial on a 20’ post on his land.  He says as long as you have the digital reception box, it’s all good.  I’ve got an abandoned analog-era aerial in my attic, so that would work with a digital receiver?

Yes, that old aerial will work fine. Just need to make an alteration (it probably doesn't support coaxial cable), so you need a converter from twin lead to coax.

Twin lead to coax converter is less than $1. Just google "twin lead balun"
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 08:57:21 am by carltonplace » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org