A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:46:53 am
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cord Cutting in Tulsa  (Read 167062 times)
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #120 on: January 02, 2016, 05:25:48 pm »

Interesting point: We don’t get PBS on DirecTV.  Not sure what the issue was, but it’s no longer there.

I took DirecTV down to its most basic package and still get OETA on Ch. 11.  Just confirmed PBS is still there so you might poke around your settings.

Eventually DirecTV and I will part company.  They went years without price increases (and only started to pile up relatively recently) but im foolishly sentimental about the DirecTiVo I have been using since the week before 9/11.  Damn reliable appliance.  Runs Linux.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
joiei
City Father

« Reply #121 on: January 02, 2016, 08:42:05 pm »

I get 4 channel 11s and I am on antenna and no cable of any kind. 

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #122 on: January 02, 2016, 10:33:18 pm »

Okay, so to do a cord cutting you still need a high speed internet connection, then you need equipment for each TV, then you need DVR's of some type, and a subscription for those, and a subscription for a channel guide, and a Netflix, Hulu, Roku, Amazon Prime, and if you are a sports person you need something else to provide not only local, but national sports.

If you are truly cord cutting, then you need to go to over the air broadcast, and not receive anything from Cox/AT&T UVERSE/DirecTV/Dish, or any internet connection through them.

Cord cutting refers to cutting bundled TV providers, not to cutting all cables. The TV uses power too and we aren't cutting that one.

I primarily use an Antenna and Netflix at a whopping $8/month on top of my $50 internet bill. I was paying Cox $200/month. I recently gave Tivo a try ($50+ $15/mo) but it's not required for cord cutting. While Hulu can give you much of the same content, they have a lot of ridiculous limits.

I could buy and subscribe to almost everything out there, and still pay less that Cox/AT&T/Directv/dish.
joiei
City Father

« Reply #123 on: January 04, 2016, 05:30:42 am »

Cord cutting refers to cutting bundled TV providers, not to cutting all cables. The TV uses power too and we aren't cutting that one.

I primarily use an Antenna and Netflix at a whopping $8/month on top of my $50 internet bill. I was paying Cox $200/month. I recently gave Tivo a try ($50+ $15/mo) but it's not required for cord cutting. While Hulu can give you much of the same content, they have a lot of ridiculous limits.

I could buy and subscribe to almost everything out there, and still pay less that Cox/AT&T/Directv/dish.
So in other words you cut the cord but you kept a lifeline. 

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #124 on: January 07, 2016, 02:59:38 pm »

So right on cue I get a notice today of another DirecTV price increase effective the 15th of this month.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #125 on: January 07, 2016, 03:13:05 pm »

And now there’s this from Cox:

Cox launches high-speed Internet service in OKC, Tulsa

Cox Communications has launched its gigabit Internet service for residential customers in Oklahoma.

Marketed under the name "Gigablast," Cox now offers speeds 100 times faster than the average speed in the U.S. today.

“This is an important development for Oklahoma, adding another quality of life factor that will help lure more businesses, families and young people to our state,” Gov. Mary Fallin said at a press conference Thursday at the state Capitol to announce the launch of the new Internet service.

Cox is deploying residential gigabit Internet speeds in Oklahoma City and Tulsa residential areas and in Cox locations across the country. The service has already been available for Cox's business customers for some time.

The company is in the process of deploying the new service in Oklahoma City neighborhoods and Gigablast is already available in some neighborhoods.

Cox has already launched Gigablast in 10 states and will have gigabit speeds in all of its markets by the end of 2016.

Cox employs about 1,800 in Oklahoma, and its investment in adding Gigablast to Oklahoma is part of about $1 billion in infrastructure investments the company has made in the state over the past decade, Oklahoma City Mayor Mick Cornett said at the press conference.

The service offers speeds as fast as 1,000 megabits per second that will allow customers to download an estimated 100 songs in 3 seconds.

“Cox has always had an evolving and dynamic plan to continue to advance our services to meet the growing demands of our customers,” Region Manager Percy Kirk said. “By bringing gigabit Internet speeds to the market, Cox is once again ensuring our technology readiness long into the future.”

Gigablast service is being offered to residential customers starting at $99 per month for a one-year deal, according to Cox's website. 

Internet providers have been in a race to bring gigabit internet service to the  Oklahoma City market. In October, Google said it was eyeing Oklahoma City for as a place to expand its super-fast Internet service and cable television platform called Google Fiber.

AT&T said in December that it plans to expand the availability of its GigaPower network in Oklahoma City in Tulsa beginning this year.

http://newsok.com/cox-launches-high-speed-internet-service-in-okc-tulsa/article/5471179

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #126 on: January 07, 2016, 04:21:08 pm »

So right on cue I get a notice today of another DirecTV price increase effective the 15th of this month.

Call and ask for customer retention.  They are the best way I've found to handle that situation.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #127 on: January 07, 2016, 04:24:49 pm »

And now there’s this from Cox:

“This is an important development for Oklahoma, adding another quality of life factor that will help lure more businesses, families and young people to our state,” Gov. Mary Fallin said at a press conference Thursday at the state Capitol to announce the launch of the new Internet service.

Someone should ask her on camera to explain the speed differences and see how she does.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #128 on: January 07, 2016, 06:36:32 pm »

Your service is only as fast as your slowest connection to a site.  Is it really Gigabit (as in 8 bits to a Byte) to make it sound faster?  I'm asking.

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #129 on: January 07, 2016, 06:41:31 pm »

Doesn't show as available for me. Technically the down speed is only 5x faster than what they had before, but I think the up speeds are supposed to be much better.
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #130 on: January 07, 2016, 07:40:51 pm »

Someone should ask her on camera to explain the speed differences and see how she does.

We dont have any DOCSIS 3.1 networks in the state, do we?   Maybe this was just some forward thinking projection vaporware to let some air out of at&t's drum-banging:

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/att-plans-to-launch-blazing-fast-gigabit-internet-speeds-in-oklahoma-city-and-tulsa-areas-300189211.html

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #131 on: January 07, 2016, 08:14:16 pm »

We dont have any DOCSIS 3.1 networks in the state, do we?   Maybe this was just some forward thinking projection vaporware to let some air out of at&t's drum-banging:

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/att-plans-to-launch-blazing-fast-gigabit-internet-speeds-in-oklahoma-city-and-tulsa-areas-300189211.html

They are all runners-up.  BTC (formerly known as Bixby Telephone Company) already has Gigabit in some areas.

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #132 on: January 12, 2016, 10:28:22 pm »

They are all runners-up.  BTC (formerly known as Bixby Telephone Company) already has Gigabit in some areas.

Yeah, but then you have to live in Bixby.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #133 on: January 12, 2016, 11:06:10 pm »

Yeah, but then you have to live in Bixby.

Bixby wasn't too bad before it got Tulsafied.

Grin

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #134 on: January 13, 2016, 12:18:42 pm »

Bixby wasn't too bad before it got Tulsafied.

In the 80's I remember Bixby as a bunch of mobile homes and angry opinionated non-voters attempting to hide their weed before going to church.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org