A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:59:58 pm
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cord Cutting in Tulsa  (Read 167024 times)
TulsaTV
Tourist

« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2015, 02:31:41 pm »

I know I'm a little late to the party, but I started a blog about cord-cutting back in August.

I've been whittling away at the cable bill. We finally cut all but internet last month.

sgrizzle, the most recent post is about my experience with one of those flat antennas (a Winegard) and a Mohu Sky 60.

Thanks,
Mike Ransom
http://blog.tulsatvmemories.com
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 04:43:36 am by TulsaTV » Logged
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2015, 09:52:50 am »

I remembered I had an attic antenna. On a whim tried it. got like 27 channels. Channel 8 was the main one missing.

Considering trying an outdoor. My indoor omni antennas work well, but I seem to get interference from some of the weirdest things. Charging an iPad made Channel 6 drop in one room for example.
saintnicster
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2015, 09:57:12 am »

I remembered I had an attic antenna. On a whim tried it. got like 27 channels. Channel 8 was the main one missing.

Considering trying an outdoor. My indoor omni antennas work well, but I seem to get interference from some of the weirdest things. Charging an iPad made Channel 6 drop in one room for example.
8 and 13 (pbs) have been a bit flakey recently.  Some days, it works great, but even later that day, it'll get super "staticky" and be unwatchable.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2015, 06:25:38 pm »

So far I don't get 13 on any antenna.
saintnicster
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2015, 07:33:50 am »

So far I don't get 13 on any antenna.
Arg, 11.  I keep confusing myself because 13 is another OETA station, and I like watching 11.3 @_@
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2015, 11:16:03 am »

Just did the annual call to get Cox to reverse the fee increase.

I'm pretty sure we're dumping cable.  I'm the last hold out in the house and I'm losing any reason to keep it.
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2015, 01:05:00 pm »

Just did the annual call to get Cox to reverse the fee increase.

I'm pretty sure we're dumping cable.  I'm the last hold out in the house and I'm losing any reason to keep it.

Keep their internet and get with me about Direct or Dish. I've had a lot of calls after this latest round of increases. My Cox internet just jumped up to 73 dollars for the next 6 months and will go up another 10 after that.
They're giving us the option of High speed internet or Cable Television. It comes down to how old you are and what service of theirs is more important to you. Mine is TV. The kids its the Internet. I'm just waiting for them to move out. Then I can cut the last Cox cord myself.

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2015, 01:11:23 pm »

Keep their internet and get with me about Direct or Dish. I've had a lot of calls after this latest round of increases. My Cox internet just jumped up to 73 dollars for the next 6 months and will go up another 10 after that.
They're giving us the option of High speed internet or Cable Television. It comes down to how old you are and what service of theirs is more important to you. Mine is TV. The kids its the Internet. I'm just waiting for them to move out. Then I can cut the last Cox cord myself.

We're keeping the internet.  Ditching the rest.  we don't really watch much TV anymore.

The kid watches stuff online, Amazon prime, Netflix, YouTube, etc.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2015, 08:36:24 pm »

I bought a $120 outdoor antenna for $50 from Mike's Liquidation at 41st and Sheridan. I can get Roger's State (35) if I point the right way, but then I lose the 44's. I switched it back since I don't really care about RSU. Everything else I get perfectly fine. Have it split out to multiple TVs with no issue. Have two more TVs to move to the splitter then I'm calling cox to cut my basic cable. Also probably returning most of the various indoor antennas I've tried.

I tried a few indoor antenna's at Harwelden, and with a westerly view I get 44, Christian and Hispanic station. No majors. Weird.
TeeDub
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2015, 07:31:02 pm »

I bought a $120 outdoor antenna for $50 from Mike's Liquidation at 41st and Sheridan. I can get Roger's State (35) if I point the right way, but then I lose the 44's. I switched it back since I don't really care about RSU. Everything else I get perfectly fine. Have it split out to multiple TVs with no issue. Have two more TVs to move to the splitter then I'm calling cox to cut my basic cable. Also probably returning most of the various indoor antennas I've tried.

I tried a few indoor antenna's at Harwelden, and with a westerly view I get 44, Christian and Hispanic station. No majors. Weird.

Scott....   If your TVs have digital tuners, Cox rebroadcasts all the local stations in the clear.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2015, 08:49:25 pm »

Scott....   If your TVs have digital tuners, Cox rebroadcasts all the local stations in the clear.

Not after august.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2015, 07:24:35 pm »

So I've switched to an outdoor antenna and have all my TVs on it. The only problem I have is occasional glitch/stutter. It's not all the time either. Not sure if it's a reception issue or caused by too much splitting. It seems to come and go so it's hard to troubleshoot.
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2015, 03:39:15 am »

The 2009 DTV transition required all full-power TV broadcast stations to switch from an analog to a digital format. Cable companies were not required to make this change.

“Digital broadcast” refers to the method of transmission of broadcast signals over-the-air, while “digital cable” refers to the way in which some -- or even all -- of a cable company’s signals are transmitted through its cable wires or fiber.
Your cable company may offer cable channels in an analog tier and others in a digital tier, or it may have transitioned to all-digital service where all of its channels are transmitted using digital technology. The decision to carry channels in analog, analog and digital (sometimes referred to as a “hybrid” system), or solely digital is left to the cable company’s discretion. There is no government requirement for the way cable companies transmit their signals.
If your cable company moves some or all of its channels onto a digital service tier, it may notify you that you need to get “digital cable” equipment to continue receiving those channels. Your cable company may also require you to lease from them a digital cable set-top box or CableCARD, or to purchase at retail a set-top device or a digital cable ready TV equipped with a CableCARD slot. This digital cable equipment is different from the digital-to-analog converter boxes required to receive broadcast signals over-the-air. If you have a digital TV, you may be able to view broadcast stations through your cable system without additional equipment. You should ask your cable company about the equipment options that may be available to you, including any options to purchase equipment from a retailer.
Any analog television not hooked up to cable must use a digital-to-analog converter box to receive broadcast signals over-the-air.

http://www.fcc.gov/guides/dtv-transition-did-not-require-cable-systems-switch-digital

So cable providers are not required to provide over the air signals to their customers through analog or digital signal to the users TV's without a converter that is proprietary to their network.

Sadly, the cable companies are becoming the current version of Ma Bell prior to the breakup of the Bell System, but the bigger issue is they gaining control of voice, data, and video. They are becoming the "One Stop Shop" for what you need, and there really doesn't seem to be the anti-trust/monopoly discussion going on about how/who is in control. The whole communications landscape has changed with cell phone providers gathering traditional phone communications, and the cable companies gathering TV and internet.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 04:15:41 am by dbacksfan 2.0 » Logged
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2015, 10:14:55 pm »

Any updates on antenna choices?

Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2015, 06:22:41 am »

Any updates on antenna choices?

I have a few friends clamoring that there is something home made that works as good as anything...I will see what I can find out.....

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org