A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:00:42 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Eight beers you must stop drinking IMMEDIATELY!  (Read 8883 times)
Ed W
City Father

« on: March 21, 2015, 08:13:54 am »

Yeah, right. I'm not a proponent of the whole GMOs-are-scary movement. So I'm more than a little leary of breathless pronouncements like this one, insisting that no one drink these products because they offend the writer's anti-GMO sensibilities.

Marshalls is not on the list though Guinness is.

http://themindunleashed.org/2014/05/8-beers-stop-drinking-immediately.html

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 11:43:48 am »

There's only two on the list that I would drink, Guinness and Newcastle. Also not quite as paranoid as the writer.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2015, 09:14:33 pm »

*Phew* I'm safe

(I don't drink)
saintnicster
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2015, 09:16:44 pm »

Lol.  Summary of the list - "don't drink anything distributed nationally"
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2015, 10:19:48 am »

With the exception of the occasional Newcastle or Guinness, I never drink any of the beers on the list.  Not sure why Newcastle would use artificial color.  To get color in beer you use barley which has been roasted to varying degrees of darkness.  Once high fructose corn syrup has been converted to alcohol is it still quite as bad for you?

Fish bladder (insignglass) has been used for centuries to clarify beer, so has gelatin. My understanding is the beechwood that Bud uses to age it’s beers is used to help clarify the beer.  Apparently spent yeast will cling to it.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2015, 03:30:47 pm »

Fish bladder (insignglass) has been used for centuries to clarify beer, so has gelatin. My understanding is the beechwood that Bud uses to age it’s beers is used to help clarify the beer.  Apparently spent yeast will cling to it.

I looked up isinglass. It's true that it comes from fish bladders. It's a collagen, a kind of protein that causes yeast to clump and settle to the bottom of a keg or vat. I suspect the author included it for the icky factor.

It's a sloppy piece of so-called journalism.

Ed

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2015, 08:07:46 pm »

I looked up isinglass. It's true that it comes from fish bladders. It's a collagen, a kind of protein that causes yeast to clump and settle to the bottom of a keg or vat. I suspect the author included it for the icky factor.

It's a sloppy piece of so-called journalism.

Don’t you wonder how discoveries are made?

“Vladimir, let’s put fish guts in our beer to see if it makes it clear!"

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Ed W
City Father

Re:
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2015, 08:17:33 pm »

Big stories today about a massive lawsuit over arsenic in wine, yet none of them detailed the amounts. Next it'll be trace amounts of radiation.

Ed

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2015, 09:55:30 pm »

I've never used isinglass in beer but I have used it in several meads.  Looks good, works fine, lasts a long time.

I use Irish Moss (seaweed, I believe) during the boil to clarify beer.  A secondary fermentation also helps clarify beer.

carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2015, 07:31:21 am »

I've never used isinglass in beer but I have used it in several meads.  Looks good, works fine, lasts a long time.

I use Irish Moss (seaweed, I believe) during the boil to clarify beer.  A secondary fermentation also helps clarify beer.

I also use Irish Moss in my stouts. I would expect to see it in Guinness.
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2015, 07:37:49 am »

Don’t you wonder how discoveries are made?

“Vladimir, let’s put fish guts in our beer to see if it makes it clear!"

My thoughts exactly.

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2015, 08:08:38 am »

I love all of the consumption fads.

1. If you eat wheat, corn, or any other grain, you are eating a GMO product that has been GMO'd for hundreds of years.
2. MSG occurs naturally (sometimes in very high concentrations) in tomatoes, mushrooms, hard cheeses, and millions of other foods.
3. Carrageenan is a polysaccharide from seaweed used to clarify the haze in a beer during the brewing process.  In most cases powdered flakes are used.  Particulates attach to the substance like a magnet and are more easily filtered out.
4. The level of fructose used (HFCS or otherwise) is meaningless since the majority of it is converted to alcohol.

There is nothing more unhealthy in a beer than the alcohol itself. Not all the sugars are converted into ethanol. There is also methanol and several other alcohols that form as a result of the breakdown of cellulose and other components in the wheat/corn/rice, besides just starch.  Commonly called "wood alcohol," those components represent far more of a health risk to you than corn that was bread to resist smut.

This is kind of like focusing on the health risks of the paper used to roll cigarettes.  Cheesy

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2015, 09:30:37 am »

I am writing a new diet book that focuses on regular intake of preservatives. I know what they do to meat and I figure our bodies are mostly meat as well.

As your online doctor, I recommend a convenience store hot dog and to call me in the morning.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Ed W
City Father

Re:
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2015, 12:53:28 pm »

And how are we supposed to take that hot dog, Michael?

Ed

rdj
City Father

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2015, 12:54:35 pm »

I love all of the consumption fads.

1. If you eat wheat, corn, or any other grain, you are eating a GMO product that has been GMO'd for hundreds of years.
2. MSG occurs naturally (sometimes in very high concentrations) in tomatoes, mushrooms, hard cheeses, and millions of other foods.
3. Carrageenan is a polysaccharide from seaweed used to clarify the haze in a beer during the brewing process.  In most cases powdered flakes are used.  Particulates attach to the substance like a magnet and are more easily filtered out.
4. The level of fructose used (HFCS or otherwise) is meaningless since the majority of it is converted to alcohol.

There is nothing more unhealthy in a beer than the alcohol itself. Not all the sugars are converted into ethanol. There is also methanol and several other alcohols that form as a result of the breakdown of cellulose and other components in the wheat/corn/rice, besides just starch.  Commonly called "wood alcohol," those components represent far more of a health risk to you than corn that was bread to resist smut.

This is kind of like focusing on the health risks of the paper used to roll cigarettes.  Cheesy

Which is why I smoke my hydroponic organic tobacco in a vaporizer with organic air.

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org