A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 12:12:01 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Terrible Sidewalk Design  (Read 16207 times)
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« on: June 15, 2014, 05:17:21 pm »

If you're going to have a sidewalk, make it useful.  Here's an example of what not to do.

Jenks on 1st St north of Main (and Georges Bar/Pub/Tavern/whatever he calls it.)

http://goo.gl/maps/Dwdic

BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 07:13:31 pm »

You got your parking in my sidewalk!
You got your sidewalk in my parking!
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 07:29:23 pm »

You got your parking in my sidewalk!
You got your sidewalk in my parking!

Hey, I don't think we need sidewalks everywhere but if we are going to have them, they need to be functional.

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 07:39:23 pm »

What the heck is that?  That was allowed to be permitted? 

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 08:08:06 pm »

What the heck is that?  That was allowed to be permitted? 

Evidently.  Even Mr. Suburbia here thinks that is just plain wrong.

Bamboo World
Philanthropist

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2014, 08:53:56 pm »

The sidewalks leading to the crosswalks at the intersection are designed poorly, also.  They terminate in single curb ramps angled toward the widest part of the intersection instead of pairs of curb ramps aligned with the crosswalks.  Installing pairs of curb ramps is more expensive, but it's a much better idea, especially for the blind and those in wheelchairs.  Pairs of curb ramps at each corner make it safer for drivers, too -- because it's more apparent which street a pedestrian intends to cross.

In my neighborhood near downtown Tulsa, the City has been demolishing pairs of curb ramps and replacing them with single ramps angled toward the middle of the intersection, similar to those in Jenks.  Not sure why the City of Tulsa is doing this, since paired ramps are Tulsa's standard, and they have been for many years.  I cringe when I see tax dollars spent to replace a superior design which served my neighborhood well for decades with inferior work.
Vision 2025
Philanthropist

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2014, 03:46:35 pm »

I know the area well.  Walked that street to lunch in High School and have done many projects in that part of Jenks on many occasions plus we like George’s!

So...
1.  The driveway/parking at the storm cellar (used to have a deck over it) predates the sidewalk and street improvements.
2.  The sidewalk was constructed as part of the roadway improvements and not by the property owner via any permit.
3.  Right of Way is very limited in the original Jenks town-site and likely caused many difficulties including space for ramping.
4.  I'm guessing they traded paving the driveway for a little bit of ROW, it used to be chat I recall.
5.  It is “unique” but none the less a dramatic improvement over before with all traffic in the street all the time.

Vision 2025 Program Director - know the facts, www.Vision2025.info
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2014, 07:29:22 pm »

I know the area well.  Walked that street to lunch in High School and have done many projects in that part of Jenks on many occasions plus we like George’s!

So...
1.  The driveway/parking at the storm cellar (used to have a deck over it) predates the sidewalk and street improvements.
2.  The sidewalk was constructed as part of the roadway improvements and not by the property owner via any permit.
3.  Right of Way is very limited in the original Jenks town-site and likely caused many difficulties including space for ramping.
4.  I'm guessing they traded paving the driveway for a little bit of ROW, it used to be chat I recall.
5.  It is “unique” but none the less a dramatic improvement over before with all traffic in the street all the time.

I expected that the road improvements included the sidewalks all over the area.
Any reason not to have paved the driveway a few more feet so the cars could clear the sidewalk?

I've been to George's (and formerly the Laughing Wench) several times when done with airport activities. I like it but am not a regular customer.  But then, I'm not a regular customer at any bar. 

Vision 2025
Philanthropist

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2014, 09:42:40 am »

I expected that the road improvements included the sidewalks all over the area.
Any reason not to have paved the driveway a few more feet so the cars could clear the sidewalk?

I've been to George's (and formerly the Laughing Wench) several times when done with airport activities. I like it but am not a regular customer.  But then, I'm not a regular customer at any bar. 

I dove by on the way home last evening and that parking noses up against the deck you see in the photo which is actually an old cellar so it would have had to relocate into the yard.

I miss the Laughing Wench (they had a great logo for Tee Shirts)  but George's is better has pretty good Pub food and no they don't know me by name there it's just a good spot in my home town...

Vision 2025 Program Director - know the facts, www.Vision2025.info
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2014, 10:51:16 am »

I dove by on the way home last evening and that parking noses up against the deck you see in the photo which is actually an old cellar so it would have had to relocate into the yard.

I miss the Laughing Wench (they had a great logo for Tee Shirts)  but George's is better has pretty good Pub food and no they don't know me by name there it's just a good spot in my home town...

I think there may have been some other alternatives though.

http://goo.gl/maps/9Ifv7
http://goo.gl/maps/ZrrLK

Perhaps jog the sidewalk and keep the parking bumpers closer to the street.  Maybe move the parking area slightly farther south.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org