A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:30:26 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: And the beat goes on.....  (Read 10049 times)
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« on: February 28, 2015, 10:26:54 am »

I know people tire of these and we always end up ranked poorly. But this one has two things going for it. One, its a Wall Street Journal ranking not some fashion magazine. A real conservative, business organ. And two, it points out some deficiencies that Okies think are our strengths. Namely, cost of living and low wages. Turns out businesses want well educated citizens, well paid labor and growing communities which all contribute to quality of life. Our low cost housing isn't so low when you tie it to our low wages.

8. Oklahoma
 > Real GDP growth, 2012-2013: 4.2% (4th highest)
> Average wages and salaries, 2013: $43,048 (18th lowest)
> Pct. of adults with bachelor’s degree, 2013: 23.8% (9th lowest)
> Patents issued to residents, 2013: 548 (18th lowest)
> Projected working-age population growth, 2010-2020: 5.5% (18th lowest)

Oklahoma was middle of the road or worse in the metrics used to determine the states with the best and worst business climate. While the Sooner State ranked in the bottom 10 in three categories, but failed to crack the top 10 in any. However, the state fared particularly well for the cost of doing business. The cost of electric power, the cost of commercial real estate, and average salaries per job were all relatively low. The state fared among the worst for a number of quality of life measures. Roughly one in every six residents did not have health insurance, which was one of the highest proportions and likely lowered the quality of life for many residents. The state also ranked sixth lowest in the number of art, entertainment and recreation establishments per 100,000 residents, which may affect the number of visitors to the state, as well as migration. The housing affordability ratio, which measures homeownership costs as a percentage of median household income, was the sixth highest in the country

Read more: The Best (and Worst) States for Business - 24/7 Wall St. http://247wallst.com/special-report/2015/02/26/the-best-and-worst-states-for-business/#ixzz3T3ZywBIP
Follow us: @247wallst on Twitter | 247wallst on Facebook

onward...through the fog
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 10:48:03 am »

Lah-Dee-Dah-Dah-Dee, Lah-Dee-Dah-Dee-Dah.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 11:40:47 am »

Nice catch. A little before your time...

onward...through the fog
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2015, 04:37:21 pm »

I guess that settles it then. Do you need recommendations for moving companies aqua?

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2015, 04:41:09 pm »

Let me get you some good counseling, then we'll talk.

I was born here, educated here, employed here, raised a family here, operated businesses here during the last 63 years, and will probably die here. You?

onward...through the fog
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2015, 04:42:39 pm »

I guess that settles it then. Do you need recommendations for moving companies aqua?

And you've lived here exactly HOW long?

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2015, 04:54:58 pm »

Let me get you some good counseling, then we'll talk.

I was born here, educated here, employed here, raised a family here, operated businesses here during the last 63 years, and will probably die here. You?

Since 1996, worked and/or lived. Next question? 

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2015, 04:55:43 pm »

So the likes of you are responsible?

AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2015, 05:03:59 pm »

Give it up. Adults post here. You're better suited to the Tulsa World comments section. They get you.

onward...through the fog
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2015, 05:35:07 pm »

Give it up. Adults post here. You're better suited to the Tulsa World comments section. They get you.

Hoss was agreeing with you.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2015, 06:36:04 pm »

Hoss was agreeing with you.

Dude, stop using the same tired weak sauce.  Aqua is right.  Big boys talk on here now.  Bye Felicia.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2015, 01:16:08 pm »

Nice catch. A little before your time...

I’m just old enough to remember their variety show.  Funny, that’s where my mind went right as I saw the topic title.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2015, 02:15:32 pm »

I’m just old enough to remember their variety show.  Funny, that’s where my mind went right as I saw the topic title.

Careful, watch out for the trees as you go down this path..........
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2015, 03:13:16 pm »

Gruesome. Celebrity does seem to breed a lot of tragedy.

The only good news in the Wallstreet report was our GDP growth, but even that was likely from oil/gas revenues which have evaporated for now. Nonetheless, better rankings than I suspected.

onward...through the fog
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2015, 10:18:58 pm »

I’m just old enough to remember their variety show.  Funny, that’s where my mind went right as I saw the topic title.

They came to do a show in Tulsa in early 70's.  Sonny and David Brenner came to a store where I was working and I sold them several thousand $$ in merchandise.  Got a nice bonus that day.....  Would love to have met Cher, but she sat in the limo waiting.  Drat!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org