A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:47:32 pm
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tulsa’s Tornado Tower  (Read 22144 times)
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« on: February 26, 2015, 08:15:16 am »

According to this article: http://www.fox23.com/news/news/local/tulsas-tornado-tower-draws-attention-investors/nkJtr/

TULSA, Okla. — A new plan has been drawn up to build a tornado in downtown Tulsa.

Tulsa’s Tornado Tower. Those are 3 words we could hear a lot more about in the future as the new project has started to catch the interest of investors.

“It’s getting really good reactions,” said architect Andrew Kinslow.

The architecture firm, Kinslow Keith and Todd Inc. was approached by Tulsa People Magazine to rejuvenate the property that is now a part time parking garage into something else. They came up with the Tornado Tower.

“There’s not client at this point. It’s just a conceptual drawing of what could potentially take place and happen downtown,” Kinslow said.

The tower would rise to 20 to 30 stories and house a severe weather museum. Kinslow said that office space could also be added easily.
“The project is very feasible from all of the expressways in downtown. We thought this would be a very visible location,” Kinslow said.

The proposed design has circulated around social media and Kinslow said the firm’s phone has been ringing off the hook with potential investors wanting to learn more.
- See more at: http://www.fox23.com/news/news/local/tulsas-tornado-tower-draws-attention-investors/nkJtr/#sthash.uniDD2D6.dpuf
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 08:15:54 am »

I'm going to say no
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 08:22:48 am »

I'm going to say no

Don't be so sure.  Weirder things have happened.  Look at the Devon Tower.....

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 08:49:51 am »

I like it. It is unique and eye-catching.

Maybe we could rent out one of the floors for the world headquarters of TulsaNow.

Power is nothing till you use it.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 08:56:57 am »

I like how Fox puts this with the "Meet Russian Women"  Faux News report....

Like the building - now I want one on my place!!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2015, 10:31:18 am »

I know they've discussed building a weather museum in Norman.  It would make more sense there than in Tulsa.  Though a science and nature museum absolutely would be awesome in Tulsa especially downtown.

AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2015, 10:47:35 am »

Odd way to present ourselves to the world. Maybe we should also conceptualize an Earthquake Building with museums describing fracking.  Or at the very least, an oil derrick building.

Cool looking but likely tornado bait.

onward...through the fog
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2015, 11:00:07 am »

Odd way to present ourselves to the world. Maybe we should also conceptualize an Earthquake Building with museums describing fracking.  Or at the very least, an oil derrick building.

Cool looking but likely tornado bait.

We have the golden driller.  That with buildings downtown and the museums we got from oil money, is probably enough nostalgia about our oil past....

Can always use more tornado bait...

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
rdj
City Father

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2015, 12:00:24 pm »

I say build this along with the BFI in south downtown on those surface lots.

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2015, 12:28:14 pm »

Odd way to present ourselves to the world. Maybe we should also conceptualize an Earthquake Building with museums describing fracking. 

Already have one at 4th and Main
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2015, 12:58:28 pm »

I like it.  Would make a great visitor center.  Though we don't get as many tornadoes anymore with the weather patterns shifting more towards the Mississippi River Valley (knock on wood) the plains states are still known for tornadoes. Kinda like Tulsa and Art deco, though a dozen other cites probably now have more than we do (after tearing most of it down here) we can still bluff our way to pretending like we are an "art deco center".  Kinda sorta until the tourists start asking nosy questions like... "Ummm, where is the rest of it?", and I am like, "Well...." .

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2015, 02:37:31 pm »

I say build this along with the BFI in south downtown on those surface lots.

What is the BFI?
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2015, 07:36:21 pm »

What is the BFI?

BFI = Big Indian

Where is this tornado going?  The article says the property is currently a "part-time parking garage"
I think a part-time parking garage sounds just as interesting.  What is it when it's not a parking garage?
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2015, 08:06:45 pm »

Not gonna happen.....

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2015, 09:22:17 pm »

This whole design was done as just a "wacky idea" but supposedly people are throwing money it's direction now. Who knows.

I prefer it to be built elsewhere downtown. Maybe east side.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org