A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:57:08 am
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vacant Parker Drilling headquarters to be hotel - Tulsa World  (Read 13469 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2015, 10:18:19 am »

Apparently the dealbreaker with the Parker building is there is no parking. 

Also, heard Sager is sniffing around the East Village and may spend some more of his money over there.  Where does his funding come from?

How about Sager finish out the First Street Lofts with his money, first?  I’m really surprised the city has not ridden him harder to finish his project since he took public funding.

I believe he may be from old money.  Seems that his mother figures into the finances in some way.  The state of his finances always seems to be very binary.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2015, 12:31:45 pm »

I’m really surprised the city has not ridden him harder to finish his project since he took public funding.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2015, 12:42:12 pm »

Well-played!

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2015, 02:54:18 pm »

Apparently the dealbreaker with the Parker building is there is no parking.  

Don't see that as being too difficult for a hotel. Especially a downtown/urban one.  I have stayed at plenty where there was no parking, just enough of a drive through to drop off luggage and check in then go a few blocks away to a parking garage or have a valet do that.  I see people dropping off their car and or just luggage from a cab, in front of the Atlas Life all the time.  Not sure where their parking is.

The building could also be used as residential and let people park where they can find paid parking elsewhere downtown or the building work out a deal with parking that already exists. If I were to build residential downtown I wouldn't add parking and for one thing that would keep costs down especially if you did not want a car all the time or could find an inexpensive spot elsewhere.  Best thing about that is this is the best way to begin creating more of a lively streetscape, and have retail that can actually make it in an urban setting.  Oh and of course it helps transit begin to work well.  I bet if you built some units that didn't include the cost of parking so that they were very affordable, they would sell and or be rented out. People in cities are used to walking/biking blocks and blocks even just to get to the local bus/tube station to get where they want to go.  Surely they could make it a few blocks to their car if they wanted.  That sort of thing would really help out local retailers like me and allow more to follow so that more and more you wouldn't be forced to own a car.  

Seems we keep catering to suburbanites (as if we don't have enough for them already) and ignoring urbanites. You will never be able to make a downtown type area that will make Suburbanites completely happy, but if we try to make it perfect for them, we end up ruining the chances of keeping and or attracting people who want good urban living.  Accommodate suburbanites/cars sure, but the first priority for a downtown area should be for urbanites and pedestrians.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 03:01:08 pm by TheArtist » Logged

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2015, 03:17:14 pm »

So where did the Parker employees park when Parker still occupied the building?

rdj
City Father

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2015, 03:54:48 pm »

How about Sager finish out the First Street Lofts with his our money, first?  I’m really surprised the city has not ridden him harder to finish his project since he took public funding.

I believe he may be from old money.  Seems that his mother figures into the finances in some way.  The state of his finances always seems to be very binary.

FIFY

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2015, 09:03:18 am »

Atlas parking is in the structure at 4th and Cincy. The Valets run back and forth about a block or so.

Parker drilling has a parking issue? How? There is a flipping parking garage just across the street at 4th and Main. 
TulsaGuy
Activist

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2015, 10:12:22 am »

That's just what I've heard from some bankers who've looked at potential deals for the building. 

I'm not sure how much spare capacity exists at the 4th and Cincy garage, does Samson currently use that?  It would seem if there was spare capacity, a parking deal could be worked out into the deal especially for a hotel.
TeeDub
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2015, 10:33:47 am »

I'm not sure how much spare capacity exists at the 4th and Cincy garage, does Samson currently use that? 

It had a waiting list a few years ago when I worked downtown, with priority given to Mid-Continent tenants. 
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org