A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:49:07 pm
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HopBunz - Brookside  (Read 73591 times)
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2016, 06:33:09 pm »

Whew!  Or less.... I watch that Bar Rescue show and the bar guy keeps harping about 20%...I don't run a restaurant, so don't know, but I would be upset if my little "goat-rope" adventure had food costs anywhere near 33% !!  But I don't have much volume either, so that could make the difference.

From my time in restaurant management many, many years ago food cost of 20% to 25% as a percentage of revenue overall is where you want to be, food cost of any menu item vs menu price of 33% to 40% is correct too. Drinks, with and without liquor bring down the food cost as a percentage of revenue.

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #46 on: October 05, 2016, 07:24:16 pm »

Maybe it was just the night she and some friends were down there, but my wife was saying the last time they went to Brookside she didn't feel safe. It was a Saturday night and there were three other girl's she went with. They started at R Bar for dinner and drinks and then intended to walk around hitting some of the other bars. Said they went into the Brook and it was "full of shady characters." They stayed for one drink and then while walking elsewhere were accosted buy someone wanting them to give him $20 and who was quite aggressive about it.

The ended up leaving Brookside and going downtown.

I haven't been on Brookside in ages. Is it really falling on that hard of times?

There has always been a fair amount of turnover on Brookside, especially bars and restaurants.  It's had to change into more of a retail district with all of the new bars and restaurants downtown.  The same goes for Cherry Street.  Downtown should naturally be the center of nightlife with the other districts secondary.

Depending on the night there can definitely be some shadier types in bars like Sharkey's and Another Round; haven't noticed them in the Brook but I also haven't been there in awhile.  I really like Brookside and want to see restaurants do well there, and want to see it further develop as a pedestrian-oriented area further south outside the "core" between 33rd and 35th.  I am excited for future Crow Creek connection to the river and Gathering Place.  Neighborhoods on both sides are doing well and have the highest concentration of new infill in midtown.  So there is a lot of upside and I certainly don't think it's falling on hard times but rather just changing.

I still miss Ciao and will miss Ming'S.  HopBunz not so much.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 07:27:09 pm by SXSW » Logged

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2016, 07:45:10 am »

From my time in restaurant management many, many years ago food cost of 20% to 25% as a percentage of revenue overall is where you want to be, food cost of any menu item vs menu price of 33% to 40% is correct too. Drinks, with and without liquor bring down the food cost as a percentage of revenue.

Soft drinks are what I would choose to sell exclusively if I didn't need food to bring the sale in the first place!  There is no better profit generator I can see in my little tunnel vision world than a fountain machine!  Well, except maybe the equipment to make "Sonic Ice" for sale!! 

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #48 on: October 06, 2016, 08:11:51 am »

Soft drinks are what I would choose to sell exclusively if I didn't need food to bring the sale in the first place!  There is no better profit generator I can see in my little tunnel vision world than a fountain machine!  Well, except maybe the equipment to make "Sonic Ice" for sale!! 

Iced Tea is even better
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #49 on: October 06, 2016, 03:06:28 pm »

Iced Tea is even better

Yeah....just can't sell as much of that...!!

Coke runs about $3.00 a gallon mixed retail (Sam's Club) - 50 cents for about a 32 oz foam cup.  Iced tea is about 50 cents or so....

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
davideinstein
« Reply #50 on: October 06, 2016, 03:48:12 pm »

Non-liquor establishment should run 22-25% these days. Labor is where the expense is more challenging.
davideinstein
« Reply #51 on: October 06, 2016, 03:49:55 pm »

There has always been a fair amount of turnover on Brookside, especially bars and restaurants.  It's had to change into more of a retail district with all of the new bars and restaurants downtown.  The same goes for Cherry Street.  Downtown should naturally be the center of nightlife with the other districts secondary.

Depending on the night there can definitely be some shadier types in bars like Sharkey's and Another Round; haven't noticed them in the Brook but I also haven't been there in awhile.  I really like Brookside and want to see restaurants do well there, and want to see it further develop as a pedestrian-oriented area further south outside the "core" between 33rd and 35th.  I am excited for future Crow Creek connection to the river and Gathering Place.  Neighborhoods on both sides are doing well and have the highest concentration of new infill in midtown.  So there is a lot of upside and I certainly don't think it's falling on hard times but rather just changing.

I still miss Ciao and will miss Ming'S.  HopBunz not so much.

I'm currently buying stock in Brookside. Gathering Place, better traffic options, etc. bode well long term. Short term will struggle though. Retail is down for various reasons.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #52 on: October 10, 2016, 07:52:03 pm »

I'm currently buying stock in Brookside. Gathering Place, better traffic options, etc. bode well long term. Short term will struggle though. Retail is down for various reasons.

Also demographics are favorable especially if the neighborhoods west of Peoria continue to revitalize like they have been for 10+ years east of Peoria, and that spreads south of 41st toward I-44..

Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #53 on: June 03, 2018, 07:55:45 pm »

Too bad TheArtist ran off D.E.....

Global Moderator
Civic Leader

« Reply #54 on: June 04, 2018, 07:27:59 am »

Non substantive post to revive ea long dead thread. 

Locked.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org