A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:04:03 am
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HopBunz - Brookside  (Read 73588 times)
shavethewhales
Philanthropist

« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2016, 10:05:52 am »

Ah what? Maybe an unpopular opinion, but I loved Hop Bunz and ate there every time I was in Brookside.

I'm about to give up on that district now...
rebound
City Father

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2016, 11:14:45 am »

Conan and erfalf both basically summed it up.  Overpriced burgers and beer is definitely not unique and they were fine, but nothing special.   I ate there twice and it was pretty good, but overpriced for what it was.  Never went back, and apparently neither did a lot of other people.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2016, 12:17:10 pm »

Ah what? Maybe an unpopular opinion, but I loved Hop Bunz and ate there every time I was in Brookside.

I'm about to give up on that district now...

If you liked it, then you liked it... doesn't matter how anyone else feels about it....

I like Bill's and Lot-A-Burger.  Many others seem to agree, since both are still there....some don't and that's ok, too.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2016, 12:22:22 pm »

If you liked it, then you liked it... doesn't matter how anyone else feels about it....

I like Bill's and Lot-A-Burger.  Many others seem to agree, since both are still there....some don't and that's ok, too.

Hell, even the Lot-a-Burger on North Mingo is still there despite looking like a ghost town every time I drive past it.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2016, 02:37:14 pm »

Hell, even the Lot-a-Burger on North Mingo is still there despite looking like a ghost town every time I drive past it.

Usually go to the 43rd and Mingo one.  Or west 23rd if in that area.  Usually in evening or Saturdays.  Had the occasion to go at noon on a Thursday a couple weeks ago and the place was really busy!  Definitely a 'lunch crowd' kind of place.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2016, 04:06:55 pm »

Usually go to the 43rd and Mingo one.  Or west 23rd if in that area.  Usually in evening or Saturdays.  Had the occasion to go at noon on a Thursday a couple weeks ago and the place was really busy!  Definitely a 'lunch crowd' kind of place.

The only thing I can  think of that might keep that place open is brisk business from AA workers.  That's still a bit of a drive though.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
davideinstein
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2016, 04:17:44 pm »

Not that I am incredibly disappointed about this one in particular, but am I off base on my thinking that it seems restaurant turnover is higher in Brookside than Downtown or Cherry Street? Is rent that much higher? Are there other reasons?

Also, don't they have another location? South Memorial I'm thinking. I can't remember, I just recall thinking I didn't realize they had another location as I drove by in south Tulsa somewhere. If so, is that one still open.

I didn't think they were terrible, just overpriced for what it was. There are competitors doing it better than they were.

Rent is cheap in Downtown, moderately priced on Cherry Street and way overpriced on Brookside.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2016, 04:31:05 pm »

The only thing I can  think of that might keep that place open is brisk business from AA workers.  That's still a bit of a drive though.

Could just be the money laundering activity going on... no telling...

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2016, 09:08:41 am »

Not that I am incredibly disappointed about this one in particular, but am I off base on my thinking that it seems restaurant turnover is higher in Brookside than Downtown or Cherry Street? Is rent that much higher? Are there other reasons?

Also, don't they have another location? South Memorial I'm thinking. I can't remember, I just recall thinking I didn't realize they had another location as I drove by in south Tulsa somewhere. If so, is that one still open.

I didn't think they were terrible, just overpriced for what it was. There are competitors doing it better than they were.

Brookside is pretty stable, IMO.  Leon’s only left as they were made a pretty good offer to leave, or I believe that was the circumstance.  BBD has been in their spot for at lest 20-25 years, In The Raw for at least 15, Keo for 5+, The Brook for 15-20, Senior Tequila’s for 10+, Sonoma for close to 10, Doc’s for 3-5, R-Bar for at least 3-4 years and Cafe Ole goes back nearly 30 years, I think.  Only the space with Hop Bunz and the strip to the north of where Hop Bunz was are the only ones with somewhat regular turn-over.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2016, 09:37:55 am »

Brookside is pretty stable, IMO.  Leon’s only left as they were made a pretty good offer to leave, or I believe that was the circumstance.  BBD has been in their spot for at lest 20-25 years, In The Raw for at least 15, Keo for 5+, The Brook for 15-20, Senior Tequila’s for 10+, Sonoma for close to 10, Doc’s for 3-5, R-Bar for at least 3-4 years and Cafe Ole goes back nearly 30 years, I think.  Only the space with Hop Bunz and the strip to the north of where Hop Bunz was are the only ones with somewhat regular turn-over.

Also Cosmo Café has done well next door.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2016, 10:22:04 am »

Also Cosmo Café has done well next door.

I don't get how Cosmo does well, consistently mediocre food and poor service. I love Laffa, but Cosmo is just bad. My daughter drags me there constantly, maybe I'm too old to get Cosmo.
AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2016, 10:54:29 am »

I don't get how Cosmo does well, consistently mediocre food and poor service. I love Laffa, but Cosmo is just bad. My daughter drags me there constantly, maybe I'm too old to get Cosmo.

We have had different experiences. I've been there at least 40 times and only once have I had to send something back - mainly because I didn't like it/it was not what I expected. I think it's consistently good food and service.
davideinstein
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2016, 04:03:20 pm »

Leon's wasn't making what they used to make. Miss that place.
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2016, 12:34:19 pm »

Add to that Ida Red started up in 2008, right at the start of the recession, and has stayed open. Blue Moon Cafe has been there a long time. We notice the new stuff opening and closing because it is news and (like the previous occupant of HopBunz), it has great visibility at that spot.
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2016, 12:43:12 pm »

Rent is cheap in Downtown, moderately priced on Cherry Street and way overpriced on Brookside.

It is tough to thrive with such high rent (translates to high prices). The food wasn't bad there. It was tasty, but it just wasn't good value and in my opinion, and apparently many others', it wasn't worth the price. Especially for a place that felt like a Dave'n'Busters or some other chain.

We went there and for 2 burgers, 1 cheese fry and 2 beers, it was around $50. We can get the same at just about any joint in Tulsa for $25-$35 (plus usually fries are included with a $10+ burger, example of bad value there). There weren't that many beers for having a name based on beer and the burgers weren't that creative or distinguished. I expected them to close up eventually.

Fat Guyz is an example of great-priced distinguished burgers with tons of options you can't really get elsewhere. It is downtown so maybe they have a much better deal on rent to help with that plus a much smaller space to make those tough early years more affordable (and they recently expanded). They've had Burn Co burgers and always have interesting specials. I think they have more beer options than Hop Bunz (maybe not on as many on tap, but more in cans/bottles).
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org