A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:31:28 pm
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HopBunz - Brookside  (Read 73592 times)
erfalf
City Father

« on: February 23, 2015, 01:33:12 pm »

Location(s) Being Reviewed:Brookside (33rd & Peoria)
Date/Time of Visit: Sunday, February 22nd ~ 7:00 pm
Quality of Food (1-5):5

Meal for my wife and I consisted of "The Classic" and a "Big Daddy" as well as fries & Fried Pickles. Burgers were both delicious with excellent mixtures of meat and cooked perfectly. Fried pickles (and pickles in general) were excellent except batter got soggy quickly. Sauce was good also. Fries suffered the same soggy fate as the pickles. Hopefully it was the understudy filling in for the fry man.

Menu/Food Options (1-5):3

There are a fair amount of burger choices although it seemed several were so similar that it didn't warrant another spot on the menu. That, and who in their right might puts ketchup on a hamburger (outside of Burger King). While I did not drink it did appear that they captured most of the popular brews on the menu however.

Quality of Service (1-5):3

Servers were very attentive, but seemed inexperienced (cooks that weren't busy or something) and also like they were trying to hard to make conversation, which just made us somewhat uncomfortable.

Atmosphere (1-5):5

Very nice restaurant. I believe it used to be the Wolfgang Puck restaurant, which I never went to but I assume would be nice. All glass gives excellent views of the heart of Brookside. Awesome looking bar. TV's with sports to be expected. It looks like a serious investment was made in the place.

Overall Rating (1-5):4

I had reserved expectations as I had read some negative reviews. Although most negativity was focused on the cost, which arguably is quit high. My opinion of the pinnacle of this category of restaurant is Twisted Root, based out of Dallas, and this in no way comes close to that in nearly every aspect. That being said, it is quit good, although my wife tells me she though Five Guys was easily as good of quality for burgers.

Price ($-$$$$$):$$$

Quite pricey, burgers ranged from $9-$11 with no sides. Twisted Root's for comparison range from $7-$9. I'm sure the alcohol would have really bolstered the bill. Total damage for us was nearly $40 after tax/tip, and we both drank water.

What makes this restaurant unique:

Seems to be a high class Smashburger. However, for the price it better be.

Tell us about your experience:

I hope it lasts, I enjoyed what I ate. It was not busy at all, of course it was Sunday night and nasty weather, so maybe that is par for the course. Brookside in general looked pretty deserted, which I didn't think to much of given the bitter cold wind.

No pictures of my own. Peruse the internet if you care to see it.

"Trust but Verify." - The Gipper
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 05:01:16 pm »

They are not a very friendly bunch.....To some of their fine neighbors on Brookside....I wont darken this joints door.....

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 07:32:05 pm »

I care neither for Five Guys nor Smashburger, so the bar is pretty low on your comparisons.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 08:05:51 pm »

I care neither for Five Guys nor Smashburger, so the bar is pretty low on your comparisons.

I've never been to either.  Is rumor true that Smashburger is the place to go if you like a little food with your salt?

Grin

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 08:25:52 pm »

I've never been to either.  Is rumor true that Smashburger is the place to go if you like a little food with your salt?

Grin

I went about six months ago, and I didn't notice it being real salty, although I've heard people say they toned it down a little.  I was underwhelmed actually.  I like Fat Guys and any number of the pre-requisite old style burger joints in town (Ron's, Freddie's, Hank's, etc).

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 09:21:13 pm »

I went about six months ago, and I didn't notice it being real salty, although I've heard people say they toned it down a little.  I was underwhelmed actually.  I like Fat Guys and any number of the pre-requisite old style burger joints in town (Ron's, Freddie's, Hank's, etc).

I've not been to hopbunz, but Smashburger spares no salt.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 12:05:52 pm »

I've not been to hopbunz, but Smashburger spares no salt.

Saltburger is not edible.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2015, 12:11:57 pm »

My horse likes to lick the patties.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2015, 01:36:31 pm »

That's another one of those places I've been to once, and have no desire to go back.
Weatherdemon
Civic Leader

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2015, 07:34:00 am »

12 of us went last night.
Service was great. Price was about right for what it was, IMO.

For my tab we had:
3 Cheeseburgers, 1 Caliente, 3 fries, 1 OR, 1 chips and queso, and 6 beers for $100.
Food was outstanding.

The only thing I was surprised about was them not asking how you wanted the burger cooked. They all came out medium/medium well. Mine was more medium so I was happy.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2016, 08:30:24 pm »

HopBunz is now closed.  Wonder what will replace it?

Saw where Yolotti Frozen Yogurt is also closing Sep 30.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2016, 09:02:54 pm »

HopBunz is now closed.  Wonder what will replace it?

Saw where Yolotti Frozen Yogurt is also closing Sep 30.

Overpriced burgers and craft beer, it’s ubiquitous.  Apparently they did it worse than everyone else.  That location is starting to get a black eye.  Anyone else have any ideas what’s going on there? 

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
davideinstein
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2016, 03:19:12 am »

Overpriced burgers and craft beer, it’s ubiquitous.  Apparently they did it worse than everyone else.  That location is starting to get a black eye.  Anyone else have any ideas what’s going on there? 

The rent is overpriced on Brookside.
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2016, 05:54:45 am »

Not that I am incredibly disappointed about this one in particular, but am I off base on my thinking that it seems restaurant turnover is higher in Brookside than Downtown or Cherry Street? Is rent that much higher? Are there other reasons?

Also, don't they have another location? South Memorial I'm thinking. I can't remember, I just recall thinking I didn't realize they had another location as I drove by in south Tulsa somewhere. If so, is that one still open.

I didn't think they were terrible, just overpriced for what it was. There are competitors doing it better than they were.

"Trust but Verify." - The Gipper
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2016, 08:06:02 am »

Also, don't they have another location? South Memorial I'm thinking. I can't remember, I just recall thinking I didn't realize they had another location as I drove by in south Tulsa somewhere. If so, is that one still open.

http://hopbunz.com/find-us/

The Bixby location closed in Nov
http://www.tulsaworld.com/blogs/scene/restaurants/table-talk-hopbunz-crafted-burgers-beer-closes-southside-location/article_a763c37b-7e40-5e57-9e97-27f58087fa97.html
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org