A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:20:58 pm
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oh whats the point?  (Read 7867 times)
DolfanBob
City Father

« on: January 24, 2015, 09:48:53 am »

Broken Arrow Lawmaker must have had a slow day so he has come up with the bright idea of changing the watermelon status from State vegetable to something else. He's not sure yet.  Roll Eyes
So this beckons the question. Whats the point? The scissor tailed fly catcher is our state bird. The Mistletoe is our State flower and its not even a flower. Its a perasitic plant.
Why do States designate these things as such? Help me out. I swear I must have been asleep during this part of State History class.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/capitol_report/watermelon-s-state-veggie-status-under-the-knife-of-ba/article_1804e1c9-f8ea-5707-8bcf-6cf940665445.html

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 09:50:19 am »

And why is “Do you realize” by the Flaming Lips our state rock anthem?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 12:18:24 pm »

State Flower is the Oklahoma Rose.

http://www.okhistory.org/kids/symbols.php

The state beverage is milk.
TulsaRufnex
Soccer Curmudgeon
Philanthropist

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 01:12:16 pm »

The state reptile is the Collared Lizard... http://www.statesymbolsusa.org/Oklahoma/reptile_collaredlizard.html

“Critics are like eunuchs in a harem; they know how it's done, they've seen it done every day, but they're unable to do it themselves.”
― Brendan Behan  http://www.TulsaRoughnecks.com
Ed W
City Father

Re:
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2015, 02:18:58 pm »

I thought the state rock was Sally Kern and the state intergallactic visitor with unresolved anal probe issues was Ralph Shortey.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2015, 04:25:42 pm »

I just enjoy that there is an argument over the state vegetable, and it's not even a vegetable.
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2015, 04:42:55 pm »

State vegetable should be cheese fries
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2015, 04:58:51 pm »

State vegetable should be cheese fries

I thought this was the state vegetable?

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2015, 05:16:16 pm »

Threadwinner.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2015, 10:54:02 am »

He looks like the unexpected recipient of a shart.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2015, 02:20:25 pm »

Farting without confidence.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Vashta Nerada
Philanthropist

Re:
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2015, 07:56:22 pm »

I thought the state rock was Sally Kern and the state intergallactic visitor with unresolved anal probe issues was Ralph Shortey.

State Rep. Sally Kern files three bills targeting gays

OKLAHOMA CITY — State Rep. Sally Kern has filed three measures aimed at the gay community.

House Bill 1599 is dubbed the “Preservation and Sovereignty of Marriage Act.” House Bill 1598 is called the “Freedom to Obtain Conversion Therapy Act.” A third measure would allow businesses to refuse to provide services to the gay community, among others.

Kern, R-Oklahoma City, garnered national attention a few years ago when she said the “homosexual agenda” was destroying the nation and poses a bigger threat to the nation than terrorism.
Recent federal court action legalized gay marriage in Oklahoma following a challenge to a state constitutional amendment that banned it.

“No employee of this state and no employee of any local governmental entity shall officially recognize, grant or enforce a same-sex marriage license and continue to receive a salary, pension or other employee benefit at the expense of taxpayers of this state,” the measure says. “No taxes or public funds of this state shall be spent enforcing any court order requiring the issuance or recognition of a same-sex marriage license.”
The measure directs state courts to dismiss any challenge to the measure and award costs and attorney fees to the defendant. A judge who violates the act shall be removed from office, according to the bill.

Kern’s House Bill 1598 would allow parents to seek counseling and therapy to change a gay child’s sexual orientation without interference from the state.
Kern also filed House Bill 1597, which would allow businesses to refuse service “to any lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender person, group or association,” and be immune from civil liability.

A similar bill, filed by Sen. Joseph Silk, R- Broken Bow, would create the “Oklahoma Religious Freedom Reformation Act of 2015.” SB 440 would prohibit any religious entity from being required to provide services or employment, officiate a wedding or treat any marriage as valid if it was contrary to their “sincerely held religious beliefs.”

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/capitol_report/state-rep-sally-kern-files-three-bills-targeting-gays/article_37ebe9f3-d3d0-5fcf-a98a-fbcc05184f50.html
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2015, 05:46:34 am »

And the previous post, rocks everywhere are offended by the comparison of both.
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2015, 05:50:12 am »

Thought I heard somewhere that this was his response to working on a joint task force with the arcade license enforcement group to raid the Mid Town Theater?
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2015, 05:41:08 pm »

FARK.COM had an article on Watermelon being the state vegetable.  True to form, a commentator nailed it:

Come on Okies, okra was RIGHT THERE!

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org