A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:52:59 am
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: REI  (Read 277740 times)
LandArchPoke
Philanthropist

« Reply #600 on: November 16, 2021, 10:57:20 am »

Was never gonna survive.   The place in the Farm is gone - can't remember the name even right now.  Tulsa isn't that kind of place.

If you can't remember the name that's probably the reason it didn't survive. I had never heard of an outdoor store in the Farm and I go there off an on. The Farm is incredibly inconvenient to get to from just about anywhere in Tulsa.. I have no idea how it's survived.

REI would do very well in Tulsa, it's doing just fine in OKC and Tulsa has a much higher percentage of their target customer than OKC. REI for what it's worth is still interested in opening in Tulsa they just need to find the right spot. Now this is settled they have the ability to start looking at new locations while they had promised that specific developer they would not do so in Tulsa until that lawsuit was resolved.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #601 on: November 16, 2021, 11:13:52 am »

If you can't remember the name that's probably the reason it didn't survive. I had never heard of an outdoor store in the Farm and I go there off an on. The Farm is incredibly inconvenient to get to from just about anywhere in Tulsa.. I have no idea how it's survived.

REI would do very well in Tulsa, it's doing just fine in OKC and Tulsa has a much higher percentage of their target customer than OKC. REI for what it's worth is still interested in opening in Tulsa they just need to find the right spot. Now this is settled they have the ability to start looking at new locations while they had promised that specific developer they would not do so in Tulsa until that lawsuit was resolved.

Backwoods was in the Farm for decades. They only have one store left in Ft Worth, they are mostly online now.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #602 on: November 16, 2021, 01:46:14 pm »

The Farm is incredibly inconvenient to get to from just about anywhere in Tulsa..

It wasn't so bad 40 years ago.  I remember the store and bought just a few things there.  I too forgot the name.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #603 on: November 16, 2021, 10:32:33 pm »

Naw... I couldn't remember because I am old and have CRS syndrome!   SXSW and Swake both reminded me....now I remember!

Backwoods.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #604 on: November 16, 2021, 10:33:44 pm »

It wasn't so bad 40 years ago.  I remember the store and bought just a few things there.  I too forgot the name.

I loved going in to just look around.  Then go to the German restaurant across from the store.  Or pizza buffet!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #605 on: November 16, 2021, 11:12:08 pm »

I loved going in to just look around.  Then go to the German restaurant across from the store.  Or pizza buffet!

I remember shopping there before going to Philmont as a scout in the early 80s. I think they closed about 10 years ago. Great store, very expensive. The other good camping store back then was in the Annex Mall upstairs, Oshman's.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #606 on: November 17, 2021, 12:23:13 am »

Great store, very expensive.

But sometimes the best alternative. 

I did some winter backpacking along portions of the Appalachian Trail in the late 60s. The Outing Club had some equipment to borrow.  After a trip to Shenandoah Nat'l Park portion of the AT where I never did get warm in a mid weight sleeping bag and my shoulders beat since the pack didn't have a hip belt, i got a Kelty Pack and a down sleeping bag good for below 0ºF.  I wasn't cold again and I could load up the pack with enough stuff for overnight trips.   The AT Trail Guide had the locations of lean-to shelters and if water was available nearby.  I still have the Kelty Pack, sleeping bag, ground pad etc.

Nik
Philanthropist

« Reply #607 on: January 06, 2023, 10:34:03 am »

REI announces plans for Tulsa location near 71st & Elwood

https://www.kjrh.com/news/local-news/rei-announces-plans-for-tulsa-location-near-71st-elwood
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #608 on: January 06, 2023, 11:24:49 am »

Good location but as LandArchPoke pointed out over a month ago this should be part of a larger mixed-use residential development and I completely agree. 

LandArchPoke
Philanthropist

« Reply #609 on: January 06, 2023, 12:40:03 pm »

Site plan of the shitty development below. REI sure loves to destroy wilderness in favor of suburban sprawl development and excessive parking lots - but they're a 'sustainable' company and lovers of the outdoors.

"We believe that it’s in the wild, untamed and natural places that we find our best selves, so our purpose is to awaken a lifelong love of the outdoors, for all."

^ from their website. Should say we'll find those places and build shitty stores with massive parking lots next to them or try to build on your city's park land for profit! We're awesome. 

Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org