A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:32:03 am
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: REI  (Read 277737 times)
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #570 on: November 13, 2018, 07:07:47 pm »

So was REI really ever going to this site?  If I remember correctly they never publicly announced anything. 

https://www.tulsaworld.com/homepagelatest/rei-announces-it-will-open-store-in-oklahoma-city-says/article_e1ccbdbe-f2bf-544d-a860-3d15b96a3672.html

dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #571 on: November 13, 2018, 07:28:42 pm »

After the shenanigans of the city selling parkland and the backlash from the community (rightly so) and then a lot of comments about no one wanting another big box Dick's/Gander Mountain/gun and hunting store (which REI is none of) I'm not surprised.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #572 on: November 13, 2018, 08:30:52 pm »

To be fair most people in Tulsa would welcome REI but not at that location.  Or if it was going in that location at least make it a unique destination.  The one in OKC is going in a vacant Babies R Us, what empty big boxes would make the most sense in Tulsa?  Or where could REI make the biggest impact?

AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #573 on: November 14, 2018, 08:48:20 am »

To be fair most people in Tulsa would welcome REI but not at that location.  Or if it was going in that location at least make it a unique destination.  The one in OKC is going in a vacant Babies R Us, what empty big boxes would make the most sense in Tulsa?  Or where could REI make the biggest impact?

The empty sports store that I can't remember the name of at The Walk at Tulsa Hills.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #574 on: November 14, 2018, 09:28:07 am »

The empty sports store that I can't remember the name of at The Walk at Tulsa Hills.

Gander Mountain?  Dream scenario would be one there taking away an empty big box (and within Tulsa city limits) and another more unique version in Midtown.  Bonus points if you could figure out a way to integrate into the mixed-use development planned along Crow Creek south of the Gathering Place.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 09:29:59 am by SXSW » Logged

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #575 on: November 14, 2018, 09:33:53 am »

Dream scenario would be one there taking away an empty big box (and within Tulsa city limits) and another more unique version in Midtown. 

Utica Square?
Borders Books at 21st & the BA?

Still pissed they started cutting the trees at 71st & Riverside.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #576 on: November 14, 2018, 09:47:27 am »

Still pissed they started cutting the trees at 71st & Riverside.

Everything about Helmerich Park has been botched
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #577 on: November 14, 2018, 09:57:14 am »

Everything about Helmerich Park has been botched

It's a shame. Regardless of REI coming to Tulsa (which I really doubt now that OKC will have one), the developer plans to proceed because they essentially have a free plot of land on a prime corner. They basically can't lose money on this. Build it, rent it and keep it or sell it. If the Supreme Court really halts it, the city will be sued and owe a ton to the developer (so win win for them!)

With virtually free land on such a busy corner, they can afford to build new and undercut just about anyone, but they'll have no shortage of demand because businesses want to move to the new strip mall every time and will pay premium because "nice and new generic strip and big parking lot" = more customers. That's the suburban world we live in. See also: Tulsa Hills.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #578 on: November 14, 2018, 12:51:00 pm »

I don't doubt Tulsa will get an REI it's more where will it be located.  Most of their locations outside of the flagship stores and stores in large urban areas are in suburban strip centers.  Utica Square would be a great spot, there's even a site available.  You could put a Crate & Barrel and REI there and activate that whole part of the square.

PhiAlpha
Citizen

« Reply #579 on: November 14, 2018, 03:09:10 pm »

I don't doubt Tulsa will get an REI it's more where will it be located.  Most of their locations outside of the flagship stores and stores in large urban areas are in suburban strip centers.  Utica Square would be a great spot, there's even a site available.  You could put a Crate & Barrel and REI there and activate that whole part of the square.

They were actually going to put ours into a new development in Nichols Hills, between Whole Foods/Classen Curve and Nichols Hills Plaza, that will make the whole area very similar to Utica Square but the developer (who also owns the Classen Curve and Nichols Hills plaza) decided to focus on redevoping those the other two centers first before building between them. REI got tired of waiting and decided to go in an empty babies R us next to Nordstrom rack down the street. Based on that, I bet they end up going to that big empty spot in Utica or building near the Gathering Place if/when they expand into Tulsa.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #580 on: November 14, 2018, 07:59:04 pm »

To be fair most people in Tulsa would welcome REI but not at that location.  Or if it was going in that location at least make it a unique destination.  The one in OKC is going in a vacant Babies R Us, what empty big boxes would make the most sense in Tulsa?  Or where could REI make the biggest impact?

There is a big empty Walmart on 71st at about county line in Broken Arrow.  Very close to the area that is BA's equivalent to the Woodland "mall zone".  

Close to Bass Pro Shops, but not too close. 

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #581 on: November 14, 2018, 10:08:28 pm »

There is a big empty Walmart on 71st at about county line in Broken Arrow.  Very close to the area that is BA's equivalent to the Woodland "mall zone".  

REI and Bass Pro aren’t really that big of competitors.  The clientele and product selection is very different.  The closest example in Tulsa is Backwoods and maybe Sun & Ski Sports. 

dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #582 on: November 14, 2018, 11:12:26 pm »

This one? https://goo.gl/maps/KUyc6AEK9a82

You could put four REI stores in that building. This is the misconception that people have. It's not some mega-destination store like Bass Pro/Cabella's/Gander Mountain/Dick's big box piece of crap. But that will never get into the minds of some people.

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #583 on: November 15, 2018, 08:45:06 am »

This one? https://goo.gl/maps/KUyc6AEK9a82

You could put four REI stores in that building. This is the misconception that people have. It's not some mega-destination store like Bass Pro/Cabella's/Gander Mountain/Dick's big box piece of crap. But that will never get into the minds of some people.

...and big empty Walmarts stay big empty Walmarts by design.  Utica Square might better fit their vision of an upscale customer base.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #584 on: November 15, 2018, 10:06:31 am »

Can anyone explain to me why anyone would even care about about REI?  Its a friggin sports/outdoor store and we have a dozen of them already and I had never even heard of it before this controversy with the park.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org