A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:51:14 pm
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 41   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: REI  (Read 277791 times)
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #300 on: January 07, 2016, 03:02:49 pm »

Tulsa needs to expand the interesting things it is doing such as developing the river and expanding on the downtown arts vibe. Sorry senors and senoritas, pushing more outlet malls, suburban highschools, charter schools, and warren theaters is not going to get young people to move to Tulsa.

Have you reviewed this thread or the development you are supporting? I think 90% of the people here agree with most of what you just said. Unless it is doing interesting things and differentiating itself from the suburbs, Tulsa cannot move forward.

Which is why so many feel that selling park land below market for a generic big-box development with acres of parking lot is the wrong thing to do. I don't think anyone is against REI. But leasing a big box to another outdoors store isn't going to "get young people to move to Tulsa." I'm still not sure where the disagreement really comes from.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #301 on: January 07, 2016, 03:07:50 pm »

Tulsa needs to expand the interesting things it is doing such as developing the river and expanding on the downtown arts vibe. Sorry senors and senoritas, pushing more outlet malls, suburban highschools, charter schools, and warren theaters is not going to get young people to move to Tulsa.

You just said it yourself.

Greenspace and recreational opportunities along with great employment opportunities are what help drive YP’s to a city, not trendy retail.

Erecting a crap development featuring REI won’t get young people to move to Tulsa either.

The crux of the issue isn’t that REI may or may not build here.  The crux of the issue is the developer wants to also add additional retail which could be well-suited anywhere in Tulsa.  The plat features parking for 600 cars which is a ridiculous amount of parking space, though the one redeeming part of that is that the developer claims it would be fair game for recreational parking for those using the trail.

The renderings shown thus far look like lay-up dryvit that turns its back to the river instead of embracing it and it’s no more compelling in appearance than REI’s location on College in Ft. Collins:

The second issue, crap development not withstanding, is that the trust which sold this land may not have had the legal standing to do so.  At very best, their authority to do so is very murky.

As far as the skiing and copious amounts of craft beer, my hat is off to you!  You chose a real mecca for that.  I’m a middle-ager and living in the high country is definitely in my future, for much the same reasons, though we are angling for something a little more off the beaten path than DEN.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
In_Tulsa
Citizen

« Reply #302 on: January 07, 2016, 04:07:54 pm »

I know I'm in the minority. But I think this is a great development in a great location.  This kind of element will definitely enhance riverside.  This development will bring people to the river that have never experienced the river in Tulsa.  I think it's crazy that everybody is so against this right off of 71st. Very few ever use that part of the park.  Now that national businesses are looking to expand in the Tulsa market I think we need to move to a more pro development community.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #303 on: January 07, 2016, 04:20:02 pm »

I know I'm in the minority. But I think this is a great development in a great location.  This kind of element will definitely enhance riverside.  This development will bring people to the river that have never experienced the river in Tulsa.  I think it's crazy that everybody is so against this right off of 71st. Very few ever use that part of the park.  Now that national businesses are looking to expand in the Tulsa market I think we need to move to a more pro development community.

It probably would've helped if they'd made the development more about the river instead of ignoring it.  Throwing a huge wall up facing the trail and river and building an enormous parking lot didn't help their cause. 

It was like they saw the Kum & Go down river and thought "that's what we need".

Losing the park land along the river was another issue.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #304 on: January 07, 2016, 05:37:05 pm »

I agree with the don't develop with crap group.  Put REI on the other side of Riverside Drive and I don't think there would be any significant objection. 

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #305 on: January 07, 2016, 05:38:08 pm »

So what do you see as being great about this development?

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #306 on: January 07, 2016, 05:44:51 pm »

So what do you see as being great about this development?

Must be the sales tax.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #307 on: January 07, 2016, 06:30:02 pm »

I lived in Tulsa for 22 years and OKC for 8 years.

I've lived in the same house (in Bixby) for more years than that.   Grin

DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #308 on: January 07, 2016, 06:43:02 pm »

It probably would've helped if they'd made the development more about the river instead of ignoring it.  Throwing a huge wall up facing the trail and river and building an enormous parking lot didn't help their cause. 

It was like they saw the Kum & Go down river and thought "that's what we need".

Losing the park land along the river was another issue.

This is my biggest complaint.  It's supposedly a sports and outdoor focused business that ignores the running trail and river.  Why do they refuse to incorporate the trail and river bank into the plan?"  How about a climbing wall, outdoor activity center, something unique that enhances the trail by more than repaving it and drawing some trees near it (most likely would be saplings that look nothing like the mature tree renderings).  And yeah, parking is a necessary evil, and its South Tulsa, so I guess they need a lot of it, but could you at least make a parking lot that's more than just pavement?  How about trees, park like spaces interwoven into the ocean of pavement?  This development could be placed anywhere in South Tulsa.  It would fit in just fine at 71st and Memorial.  If you're going to take park land abutting a running trail and river bank, how about recognizing that uniqueness and doing something intriguing?  It's such a waste to plop down the typical big box strip mall on that land.  Just lazy in my opinion.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #309 on: January 07, 2016, 08:33:37 pm »

Yes, very disrespectful.  The people of Tulsa, including average citizens, wealthy philanthropists, taxpayers of all stripes, etc. for decades have invested and continue to invest in making River Parks something ever better and more wonderful, a crown jewel showpiece and quality of life attraction.  To have someone propose an average strip mall type development go in like you see in "everywhere bland America" (and I don't care what the anchor store/tennant is) is like a jaw dropping slap in the face?  I find it shocking that REI themselves don't have more respect for, themselves.  This does no good service per the reputation of their company.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 08:37:16 pm by TheArtist » Logged

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #310 on: January 07, 2016, 11:49:39 pm »

If, and only if, REI was the sole retailer and built a store that interacts with the river and trails would I support it at this location.  Blue Rose is an example of a private business enhancing the park in that area and embracing its riverfront site.  REI could build a really cool store that could be an attraction in itself.

PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #311 on: January 08, 2016, 08:46:31 am »

OK, I'm confused about something.

Here's the contract again: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0BgaBXva60WSGlPUzQwVmowYWs/view?pli=1

Closing is supposed to take place 30 days after the expiration of the Inspection Period.
The Inspection Period is 30 days after the effective date of this contract (which was back in August 2015), and it can be extended for two additional 30 day periods.

Then it says: (See p. 8, section 6) "This contract...[is] specifically conditioned upon Buyer, on or before Closing, entering into a satisfactory Lease or Purchase and Sale Contract pursuant to which Buyer leases or sells all or part of the Property to a high-end outdoor retailer that offers its own line of high-quality sports and outdoor gear and apparel, in addition to products from other top brands."

But REI says they won't sign a lease until the legal stuff is cleared up.

There's an interesting little sentence that follows this: "In the event that the foregoing condition has not been satisfied or waived on or before the expiration of the time periods set out above, then either Seller or Buyer shall be entitled to terminate this contract without liability upon written notification to the other party..."

So, we have this special clause to ensure we get something other than typical Dallas crap (oh, wait, the whole development is typical Dallas crap, but at least it would have an REI in amongst the crap).  But, actually, it doesn't really mean anything because this clause can be waived, and doesn't appear to be binding unless one of the parties wants it to be.

Cannon_Fodder...Huh
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #312 on: January 08, 2016, 09:28:37 am »

Please expand on your thoughts on the issue. You made a statement to try and establish credibility, a passing insult, and a conclusion statement. But WHY should it be approved and, more specifically, what analysis do you disagree with? 

I can dumb down the 20 pages to 5 points:

1) It is a park, they did not follow the proper process to develop a city park;
2) The process they did follow, while it may be in line with the opens meeting act, was mostly closed to the public;
3) The land is being sold for far less than market value;
4) The proposed development is not well designed for that site and use; and
5) The dream "of more sales tax" is an alchemists promise and not a panacea to develop whatever, where-ever. 

You felt strongly enough to follow the issue from out of town, create an account, log in, and comment - and certainly challenging the common vein in this thread is a good thing, so please expand.

This is a good concise summary although apparently point number 1 is what is up for legal debate.

Point 3 is one of the most irritating things combined with the bad development. If it was an amazing development which had a rock wall and large windows facing the river and entrances from the trail, only REI and maybe a cafe and less parking, then the lower price might make sense. If the reason for this is they want to increase revenue for Tulsa, just sell this tract at market value!

It looks  like there is some kind of backroom deal going on here where Bartlett and Bird will be repaid with big favors later. Just like with Bartlett's opposition to the Gathering Place 21st sidewalk by his friend's house and neighborhood, this one looks like blatant corruption which he has been known for.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #313 on: January 08, 2016, 09:50:26 am »

If, and only if, REI was the sole retailer and built a store that interacts with the river and trails would I support it at this location.  Blue Rose is an example of a private business enhancing the park in that area and embracing its riverfront site.  REI could build a really cool store that could be an attraction in itself.

I agree.  If this had been more along the lines you were talking about more people would be on board, but it still doesn’t remove the transaction from legal scrutiny. 

We need to be asking why this administration is cheap-selling city property, especially when the economic development director is a freaking real estate appraiser.  It’s not like he doesn’t realize this land is being sold well-below comps in the area.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #314 on: January 08, 2016, 09:56:10 am »

We need to be asking why this administration is cheap-selling city property, especially when the economic development director is a freaking real estate appraiser.  It’s not like he doesn’t realize this land is being sold well-below comps in the area.

It is theft. They are giving huge favors in the form of stealing from Tulsans probably with the understanding that the favor will be repaid later.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 41   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org