A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:18:23 am
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 41   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: REI  (Read 277899 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #210 on: November 11, 2015, 09:56:53 am »

I’m not a regular reader of Reddit so I forget how schizophrenic those threads are.  I did manage to rip a quote that exemplifies why we have such shitty development standards in Tulsa:

“Oklahoma is poor and maybe our REI wont be as nice as a wealthier states. The proposed design is about as nice as a Target or a Walmart (big box plain). But it's better than nothing. I thought that development was halted recently because the courts aren't being moved?"

It’s this “better than nothing” mentality that really bugs me.  We could be a trend-setter when it comes to development standards, instead, we end up with layup slab dreck.

Making a project look more attractive does not end up making it unattractive due to vastly higher costs.  It doesn’t take vastly higher costs, just a better design standard and imagination.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #211 on: November 11, 2015, 02:03:29 pm »

I’m not a regular reader of Reddit so I forget how schizophrenic those threads are.

Ugh.. tell me about it... why am I wasting my time on someone that goes by troll_face
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #212 on: November 11, 2015, 02:53:49 pm »

Ugh.. tell me about it... why am I wasting my time on someone that goes by troll_face

You yearn for approval?
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #213 on: November 11, 2015, 03:57:15 pm »

Could be a flagship store with the proper design..........

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #214 on: November 30, 2015, 03:09:07 pm »

I am a huge fan of REI.  Want the store to hurry up and open so I can go shopping there...

They did the best thing for people as a whole this year that I have heard of in a long time - they were closed on Black Friday!  Said to go outdoors and have some fun!!  So I did....

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #215 on: December 03, 2015, 09:29:27 am »

So now the TPFA is asking the court to clarify it's right to sell the Helmerich Park property.  Nice article in the Frontier.

https://www.readfrontier.com/citys-public-facilities-authority-looks-to-resolve-legal-challenge-to-rei-deal-so-project-can-proceed/
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #216 on: December 03, 2015, 12:21:13 pm »

Bynam must know that this will wreck much of the support he needs for water in the river.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #217 on: December 03, 2015, 12:42:33 pm »

Also an open letter with some legal arguments was mailed to City Councilors, as reported by the Tulsa World:
http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/government/city-seeking-court-ruling-to-answer-legal-questions-on-land/article_4dc4d394-f1d8-5c35-b5df-dd13f0fbb5a9.html

The Letter:
http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/tulsaworld.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/4/30/43064878-3a41-530b-8411-745a4d55cd03/565f8197b7c1b.pdf.pdf

Some interesting arguments raised:

1) The TPFA needs to designate the land no longer beneficial for the trust before it can sell it.
2) If the TPFA can sell this land with no bidding and no City approval, it can sell anything it owns. Including City Hall.
3) Saying it isn't and never has been a park is a joke: it was gifted as a park, it was dedicated as a park, the City Council has always referred to as parkland, it is labeled on maps as parkland, and it was used as parkland. And the City can't dispose of parkland without a designated process, which wasn't followed.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #218 on: December 03, 2015, 01:25:56 pm »

I’m impressed with the number of former city officials and board members who believe this has merit.  There are also other people on the list of signees whom I respect greatly.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #219 on: December 04, 2015, 10:43:49 am »

If somehow this gets shot down and the parkland preserved I will have renewed confidence in Tulsa leaders.  Already a good year with Simon abandoning Turkey Mountain and CVS not being able to rubber stamp a crappy design for a mixed-use corridor on Utica. 

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #220 on: December 11, 2015, 10:19:37 am »

This was put on the TPFA agenda just last night... permitting the public to comment at TODAYS 2PM meeting room 295 at city hall.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #221 on: December 11, 2015, 10:38:48 am »

This was put on the TPFA agenda just last night... permitting the public to comment at TODAYS 2PM meeting room 295 at city hall.

I'm not an expert - but I thought an agenda for a public meeting required 48 hours notice and must be POSTED 24 hours before the meeting. Maybe I'm reading it wrong? (this isn't sarcasm, there is very likely something I'm missing)

.     In addition to the advance public notice in writing required to be filed for regularly scheduled meetings, all public bodies shall, at least twenty-four (24) hours prior to such meetings, display public notice of said meeting, setting forth thereon the date, time, place and agenda for said meeting
Oklahoma Public Meeting Act, section 533(A)(9). 25 OS 311(A)(9)

Seems to be what the Attorney General has to say on the issue too...
https://www.oag.ok.gov/oagweb.nsf/0/9afabc8767512a97862572b400738e39/$FILE/Open%20Meeting.pdf

What good does it do to post an agenda for a meeting that is less than 24 hours away? Reducing the number of participants by, what, 90%?

This website says it was scheduled Wednesday and is a "private meeting" with their attorney followed by a period for public comment.
http://www.newson6.com/story/30724744/tulsa-public-facilities-authority-to-discuss-lawsuit-over-helmerich-park

I'm confused. Someone who knows more about open meeting requirements, chime in!

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #222 on: December 11, 2015, 12:16:43 pm »

I heard that the sale of the land is not to REI but to a developer that hopes to lease to REI. The exact language is more vague stating that it should be developed as an outdoor sporting goods store.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #223 on: December 11, 2015, 12:42:49 pm »

So if I walk over to room 295 will I be let in for public comment or will I be told "private"?
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #224 on: December 11, 2015, 05:45:05 pm »

So if I walk over to room 295 will I be let in for public comment or will I be told "private"?

With little or no notice of the meeting...

TULSA, Okla. — The Tulsa Public Facilities Authority voted Friday to obtain legal counsel from the City of Tulsa to represent itself in a lawsuit over the future of Helmerich Park.
The TPFA entered into a lease with a developer to build a high-end sporting goods store reported to be an REI at the southwest corner of 71st and Riverside in south Tulsa.
Construction was expected to begin this month, but legal battles have hindered the construction process from beginning. The legal battles are over if the mayor and the TPFA actually have possession over the land and can give it away from its current use as a park.
Opponents have argued that the park belongs to the City of Tulsa and city councilors should have had a bigger role in the lease.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 41   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org