A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 09:22:36 pm
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: REI  (Read 279681 times)
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #585 on: November 15, 2018, 10:49:31 am »

Can anyone explain to me why anyone would even care about about REI?  Its a friggin sports/outdoor store and we have a dozen of them already and I had never even heard of it before this controversy with the park.

REI is for the people who backpack, hike and camp in the Grand Canyon/Moab/Yosemite/California Sierras/ and the Rockies. Think of it this way, Bass Pro/Cabella's/Gander Mountain/Dick's is = Barnes & Noble, REI = Decopolis.

Want to hike in the New Zealand Alps? https://www.rei.com/adventures/trips/pacific/new-zealand-hiking-southern-alps.html
PhiAlpha
Citizen

« Reply #586 on: November 15, 2018, 12:23:19 pm »

Can anyone explain to me why anyone would even care about about REI?  Its a friggin sports/outdoor store and we have a dozen of them already and I had never even heard of it before this controversy with the park.

I have a feeling you would care a lot more about it if Tulsa was getting one Grin, but it’s a great and unique sporting goods store that focuses on hiking, backpacking, biking, climbing and river sports. Tulsa may have smaller stores that fit that niche now (as does OKC), but nothing remotely close to REI. It would be a great fit for Tulsa which is why I think it will get one eventually.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #587 on: November 15, 2018, 04:42:39 pm »

I have a feeling you would care a lot more about it if Tulsa was getting one Grin, but it’s a great and unique sporting goods store that focuses on hiking, backpacking, biking, climbing and river sports. Tulsa may have smaller stores that fit that niche now (as does OKC), but nothing remotely close to REI. It would be a great fit for Tulsa which is why I think it will get one eventually.

No, really I could care less lol. Like I have said, I have never been to one, and never heard of it before all the controversy.  Never looked at their stuff online before either but I don't hike, bike or backpack. Heard there are bugs and things out there in "nature" so I will just stay here in the city where things can be properly organized, sprayed, pruned and well kept.  Wink

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #588 on: November 15, 2018, 04:50:15 pm »

REI is for the people who backpack, hike and camp in the Grand Canyon/Moab/Yosemite/California Sierras/ and the Rockies. Think of it this way, Bass Pro/Cabella's/Gander Mountain/Dick's is = Barnes & Noble, REI = Decopolis.

Want to hike in the New Zealand Alps? https://www.rei.com/adventures/trips/pacific/new-zealand-hiking-southern-alps.html

I will take that as a compliment lol.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
PhiAlpha
Citizen

« Reply #589 on: November 15, 2018, 04:56:05 pm »

No, really I could care less lol. Like I have said, I have never been to one, and never heard of it before all the controversy.  Never looked at their stuff online before either but I don't hike, bike or backpack. Heard there are bugs and things out there in "nature" so I will just stay here in the city where things can be properly organized, sprayed, pruned and well kept.  Wink

hahaha fair enough
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #590 on: November 15, 2018, 06:15:09 pm »

Tulsa will be getting a REI.

This is was just a message from our developer overlords via a pouting Tulsa World story to never again go against their plans. Or else. "The unwashed masses messed it all up!"
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #591 on: November 15, 2018, 06:45:00 pm »

I will take that as a compliment lol.

Yes, very much so. Quality over quantity.
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #592 on: November 08, 2021, 06:46:48 pm »

I think it's officially dead

https://tulsaworld.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/city-raises-white-flag-on-proposed-rei-project-developer-claims-he-was-left-out-of/article_239e980e-40d2-11ec-99c1-973b05953815.html#tracking-source=home-breaking
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #593 on: November 08, 2021, 07:20:39 pm »

Good, there are so many other potential spots for that retail center, even ones with access to the trail system.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #594 on: November 08, 2021, 09:52:06 pm »

Good, there are so many other potential spots for that retail center, even ones with access to the trail system.

It doesn't have access to the trail system but I've always thought the old Borders at 21st & the BA would be a good spot for REI.  Or possibly as part of the mixed-use development planned around Crow Creek by the Gathering Place.

DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #595 on: November 09, 2021, 10:13:58 am »

Didn't the rendering have a huge blank wall facing the trail? Seems disingenuous for the developer to say the trail was important. The sales price was also problematic. We have such low self-esteem as a city we just give stuff away for anything with a name to bless us with their presence. 
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #596 on: November 14, 2021, 12:04:41 pm »

Was never gonna survive.   The place in the Farm is gone - can't remember the name even right now.  Tulsa isn't that kind of place.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #597 on: November 14, 2021, 02:36:07 pm »

Was never gonna survive.   The place in the Farm is gone - can't remember the name even right now.  Tulsa isn't that kind of place.

Backwoods.  And disagree an REI would do really well in Tulsa.  We have more outdoor recreational opportunities near us than any other comparable city in the central region.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #598 on: November 14, 2021, 07:28:31 pm »

Backwoods.  And disagree an REI would do really well in Tulsa.  We have more outdoor recreational opportunities near us than any other comparable city in the central region.

We have lots of great stuff to do around here!   I have harped on it for decades to friends, family, anyone who would listen.   But in the end, we couldn't even keep Backwoods going in a very similar retail space on several levels.  And what they didn't have is pretty well covered by a bunch of other sporting goods stores already here.  Some of which seem to be very 'slow' in business now when I go into them.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #599 on: November 14, 2021, 11:52:24 pm »

We have lots of great stuff to do around here!   I have harped on it for decades to friends, family, anyone who would listen.   But in the end, we couldn't even keep Backwoods going in a very similar retail space on several levels.  And what they didn't have is pretty well covered by a bunch of other sporting goods stores already here.  Some of which seem to be very 'slow' in business now when I go into them.

Likely hurt by online sales like most traditional retail. So-called “experiential” retail is still doing well which is something REI provides along with name and brand recognition.  They have an OKC store, not sure how it performs but Tulsa is a lot more outdoors-oriented than OKC.

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org