A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 09:53:32 pm
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DUI Checkpoint  (Read 14067 times)
DolfanBob
City Father

« on: January 08, 2015, 09:31:58 am »

Ya right. Not sure how they do it in Boca. But I'm sure Officers here and across the Nation would probably respond a little differently. Watch this video and see if it seems on the level of what you would expect.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2901428/The-controversial-viral-video-shows-away-drunk-driving.html

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
TeeDub
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 11:29:42 am »

Like any cop, it most likely depends on what kind of day they are having and what you look like.

I would imagine the results vary greatly between the 22 year old with a car load of people in a 1995 Nissan Sentra and the 60 year old white guy driving alone in the Lexus GS.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 01:18:46 pm »

'It's not the example we want to set for our youth. we want them to learn how to do the right things,' she said.
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2901428/The-controversial-viral-video-shows-away-drunk-driving.html#ixzz3OG6rnrVS
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Safety checkpoints are legal primarily because they can "check your papers" in a minimally invasive way. DUI arrests are really ancillary to that goal. If they check your papers and do not have probably cause, they cannot search any more. This attorney's method accomplishes that. The police have checked the citizen's papers and have observed the vehicle, if it safe - the "safety" checkpoint has achieved its goal!  Yay!

We all know the real purpose is to thwart the 5th Amendment and to assume everyone is guilty of DUI or some other offense, and thus the police are able to stop and search every citizen that passes. But they can't say that legally. Though the departments themselves forget that and basically acquiesce to that fact.

I firmly oppose drunk driving. I'm a fan of DUI enforcement as well as DUI prevention (UBER, Lyft, cabs, public transit, DD programs, NOT arresting people who choose to walk home, social stigma, etc.). A citizen does not have a duty to consent to a police search. Assuming  "doing the right thing" means "following government instructions" is a simplified lesson and frankly, un-American.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 06:39:14 pm »

I firmly oppose drunk driving. I'm a fan of DUI enforcement as well as DUI prevention (UBER, Lyft, cabs, public transit, DD programs, NOT arresting people who choose to walk home, social stigma, etc.). A citizen does not have a duty to consent to a police search. Assuming  "doing the right thing" means "following government instructions" is a simplified lesson and frankly, un-American.

But they only stop every fifth car...which makes roadblocks legal...somehow...or at least, easier to skip some cars and not others, and alcohol isnt a drug because drug checkpoints arent legal...hey my dog told me he smells something criminal...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqEXTVe7MCQ[/youtube]

The method was designed by a Florida lawyer to protect drivers from being falsely accused of DUI at police checkpoints.
Using a plastic bag handing out of the driver-side window, the driver provides all documents police ask for in a stop. 
The video shows the driver pulling up to a checkpoint, officers looking at the bag, and then waving him on without asking a single question

Boca Raton lawyer Warren Redlich is the person who wrote the guidelines for the flyer, and says he's just trying to prevent drivers from being wrongly accused of DUI and doesn't encourage drunk driving.

'It's not designed for drunks and I don't think it really works for drunks because you have to follow instructions and drunks aren't good at that.'

http://fairdui.org/

OTOH, he is hawking his book.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 09:44:45 pm by patric » Logged

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2015, 02:41:30 pm »

Safety checkpoints are legal primarily because they can "check your papers" in a minimally invasive way. DUI arrests are really ancillary to that goal. If they check your papers and do not have probably cause, they cannot search any more. This attorney's method accomplishes that. The police have checked the citizen's papers and have observed the vehicle, if it safe - the "safety" checkpoint has achieved its goal!  Yay!

We all know the real purpose is to thwart the 5th Amendment and to assume everyone is guilty of DUI or some other offense, and thus the police are able to stop and search every citizen that passes. But they can't say that legally. Though the departments themselves forget that and basically acquiesce to that fact.

I firmly oppose drunk driving. I'm a fan of DUI enforcement as well as DUI prevention (UBER, Lyft, cabs, public transit, DD programs, NOT arresting people who choose to walk home, social stigma, etc.). A citizen does not have a duty to consent to a police search. Assuming  "doing the right thing" means "following government instructions" is a simplified lesson and frankly, un-American.

A follow-up, from CBS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QhlAmwr2Vk

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Vashta Nerada
Philanthropist

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2017, 09:34:54 pm »

TULSA, Oklahoma - Public intoxication might soon be treated differently in Tulsa. During his budget announcement, Mayor G.T. Bynum said he allocated money to fund the operation of a public inebriation center.
He said it would be more cost-effective than jail, free up valuable police and court time, and requires an innovative approach to getting a better overall outcome for Tulsa.

We would be foolish to think the city -- any city --  would do away with a tool police have relied on to arrest someone where the only requirement is the officer's desire to arrest someone.
Havent broken any laws but insulted a cop?  Busted for Public Intox.  No breath test, no blood test, just the word of honor of someone with a thin skin and an inflated sense of self worth.

Not going to happen, G.T.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2018, 02:30:10 pm »

Last night we literally dodged a two ton 'bullet' fired by a drunk a$$hole in Broken Arrow!  We were out there for what we hoped would be a relaxing evening of dinner, visiting, and some shopping before coming back home.  Didn't work out quite like expected.  The wreck that happened on 145th E Ave - we saw the cars 'explode' about 200 ft ahead of us.  Red car almost rolled while pointed at us, but fell back and just spun a couple of times, veered just enough to hit white van next to us.  I am not a fan of that sick, twisted, game that he was playing!

We watched that woman die.  Bad memories for us. 

Undeserved Unholy Nightmare for her family!!

As I have ranted about forever, we don't take this sh$t seriously enough - he should be charged with capital murder!   Disgusting maggot!

News video.  At about 30 seconds, just a tiny bit of the roof of my car can be seen next to the white van.  The van got hit, blocking the red car and debris from getting to us.  My sincere thanks for blocking that, guy in white van!!  And my condolences to your misfortune!!  And everyone else involved.!!   Especially the first responders - watched one of the Paramedics trying to do CPR even though I am sure he realized it was a futile effort!  My memories are extremely uncomfortable - his, and the others, must be hellish nightmares!!

https://www.fox23.com/video?videoId=853764282&videoVersion=1.0

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2018, 03:46:03 pm »

Last night we literally dodged a two ton 'bullet' fired by a drunk a$$hole in Broken Arrow!  We were out there for what we hoped would be a relaxing evening of dinner, visiting, and some shopping before coming back home.  Didn't work out quite like expected.  The wreck that happened on 145th E Ave - we saw the cars 'explode' about 200 ft ahead of us.  Red car almost rolled while pointed at us, but fell back and just spun a couple of times, veered just enough to hit white van next to us.  I am not a fan of that sick, twisted, game that he was playing!

We watched that woman die.  Bad memories for us. 

Undeserved Unholy Nightmare for her family!!

As I have ranted about forever, we don't take this sh$t seriously enough - he should be charged with capital murder!   Disgusting maggot!

News video.  At about 30 seconds, just a tiny bit of the roof of my car can be seen next to the white van.  The van got hit, blocking the red car and debris from getting to us.  My sincere thanks for blocking that, guy in white van!!  And my condolences to your misfortune!!  And everyone else involved.!!   Especially the first responders - watched one of the Paramedics trying to do CPR even though I am sure he realized it was a futile effort!  My memories are extremely uncomfortable - his, and the others, must be hellish nightmares!!

Glad you are safe, we would have missed your voice here.
And yes we are in dire need of overhauling our DUI laws to actually addresses intoxication and not just prop up the DUI industry.
Even the bug-eyed ABLE/EnDUI spokesman said they "know we dont make a difference" but all that changed is they keep him away form news cameras.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2018, 07:12:20 pm »

Glad you are safe, we would have missed your voice here.
And yes we are in dire need of overhauling our DUI laws to actually addresses intoxication and not just prop up the DUI industry.
Even the bug-eyed ABLE/EnDUI spokesman said they "know we dont make a difference" but all that changed is they keep him away form news cameras.

Thanks for the kind words!   I bet there may be some who said, "Oh, carp...missed opportunity..." - here and elsewhere!!

Need some major changes!  Need to take it seriously!  Need to put people away for real....not just slap on the wrist.  At very least, that would keep them from killing anyone else for a while...

And I am absolutely serious about killing someone while drunk - should be capital murder offense!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2018, 06:03:40 am »

If I recall right, speeding is responsible for a majority of traffic deaths and injuries while DUI is a close second. Police departments receive grant money to place emphasis on speeding, seat belt enforcement, red light running, etc. and it seems that once the grant money is gone, so too is most of the enforcement.

I'm glad you're okay.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2018, 08:06:33 am »

If I recall right, speeding is responsible for a majority of traffic deaths and injuries while DUI is a close second. Police departments receive grant money to place emphasis on speeding, seat belt enforcement, red light running, etc. and it seems that once the grant money is gone, so too is most of the enforcement.

I'm glad you're okay.

Thanks!  

This guy was REALLY speeding, too!  Looked like an IED going off in front of us about 200 ft...like the videos you see from Afghanistan.

Hartlino31
Tourist

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2018, 12:39:05 am »

One must consider adding a good DUI lawyer in their contacts because you never know what will happen. My cousin was in a big trouble and if he had lost his licence that time then his family would have died hungry. Thank God, he is out from this all thanks to a good lawyer.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2018, 10:57:26 am »

One must consider adding a good DUI lawyer in their contacts because you never know what will happen. My cousin was in a big trouble and if he had lost his licence that time then his family would have died hungry. Thank God, he is out from this all thanks to a good lawyer.

Mmm....tasty Spam...

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2018, 11:24:45 am »

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2018, 11:45:40 am »

Having your Russian Troll moment, I see.  Breadburner is back...!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org