A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:27:09 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Quite the List  (Read 26020 times)
DolfanBob
City Father

« on: December 31, 2014, 08:56:07 am »

Right on the heels of a bad news article. Tallgrass gets top billing in this review. I was amazed at the amount of closings this year.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/weekend/cover_story/top-new-restaurants-for-tallgrass-prairie-table-leads-year-end/article_cbf7262f-d6e7-50aa-a6ef-956812bf6a34.html

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2014, 10:34:11 am »

Right on the heels of a bad news article. Tallgrass gets top billing in this review. I was amazed at the amount of closings this year.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/weekend/cover_story/top-new-restaurants-for-tallgrass-prairie-table-leads-year-end/article_cbf7262f-d6e7-50aa-a6ef-956812bf6a34.html

“Tallgrass Priairie: Craft cocktails so good, you’ll want to kick a deputy in the shin!"

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 10:41:52 am »

Haven't eaten at a single top 10, and only a couple of honorable mentions.
TeeDub
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2014, 11:26:15 am »

If it makes you feel better on their list, at least one of them is already out of business.

Whoops.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 11:41:15 am »

Which one is gone, Tee Dub?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
TeeDub
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2014, 12:33:34 pm »

The Sam's Southern Eatery in Broken Arrow.   On second glance, apparently only the BA location closed.   I didn't realize there was another near TU.

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/58/1877307/restaurant/Tulsa/Sams-Southern-Eatery-Broken-Arrow
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2014, 01:01:02 pm »

Which one is gone, Tee Dub?

Shotgun Sam's

RIP
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2014, 02:49:23 pm »

The Sam's Southern Eatery in Broken Arrow.   On second glance, apparently only the BA location closed.   I didn't realize there was another near TU.

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/58/1877307/restaurant/Tulsa/Sams-Southern-Eatery-Broken-Arrow

I drive by that one everyday. I was surprised it was gone so quickly. A couple of people I know said the food and prices were fantastic. I'm not sure if it's the location or people still thinking it looks like the old Captain Ds.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2014, 03:53:50 pm »

I'm not sure if it's the location or people still thinking it looks like the old Captain Ds.

There may be an element of that.  The Carl's Jr that is no longer at about 103rd and Memorial was torn down.  A Freddie's Steakburgers is going up.  Brand new building.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2015, 10:40:11 am »

I drive by that one everyday. I was surprised it was gone so quickly. A couple of people I know said the food and prices were fantastic. I'm not sure if it's the location or people still thinking it looks like the old Captain Ds.

I ate at the one on 11th St. a month or so back.  Something doesn’t seem right with this operation.  Based on the food volume vs. price, I don’t see how they turn a profit.  My friend suggested perhaps it was a money laundering operation.  Shocked

dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2015, 03:38:44 am »

Tulsa has always seemed to be a fickle area regarding restaurants. Even back in the early 80's the life span of a place was 6 months before people got tired of it and moved on. You had places that resembled places from DFW, KC, and other national chains, but the newness wore off, and the local places unless they had been there since the 50's had a short life. There used to be a joke that if you lasted 3 months you had a chance, if you lasted 6 months you were doing something right, if you lasted longer you were avoiding ABLE and you made it past "Liquor By The Drink" in 1984.

But it just seems that as much as people want new, mom & pop/ regional/ and national, it seems that the interest level is 6 to 8 months to maybe a year. Wasn't there a big to do about Wolfgang Puck's? Atomic Burrito? Freebirds? Tia's Tex Mex? Just curious, how are the places at River Walk in Jenks doing? (not anything that has Kitchell attached to it, that's a time bomb) I have read several reviews of places at River Walk, but I think here is a more accurate view.
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2015, 08:11:55 am »

Tulsa has always seemed to be a fickle area regarding restaurants. Even back in the early 80's the life span of a place was 6 months before people got tired of it and moved on. You had places that resembled places from DFW, KC, and other national chains, but the newness wore off, and the local places unless they had been there since the 50's had a short life. There used to be a joke that if you lasted 3 months you had a chance, if you lasted 6 months you were doing something right, if you lasted longer you were avoiding ABLE and you made it past "Liquor By The Drink" in 1984.

But it just seems that as much as people want new, mom & pop/ regional/ and national, it seems that the interest level is 6 to 8 months to maybe a year. Wasn't there a big to do about Wolfgang Puck's? Atomic Burrito? Freebirds? Tia's Tex Mex? Just curious, how are the places at River Walk in Jenks doing? (not anything that has Kitchell attached to it, that's a time bomb) I have read several reviews of places at River Walk, but I think here is a more accurate view.

Atomic Burrito became Los Cabos
Freebirds is still in business (as far as I know)
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2015, 09:15:44 pm »

We ate there - once - and the food and prices were NOT fantastic!  I am stunned that it lasted the several months it was there!!  Had to go home and sit for a while to let the waves of nausea pass....  I almost mentioned it at the time, but it was gone in less then two weeks after we went there, so figured there was no point.

That list is all over the map - from what are supposed to be fine dining to fast food.  Chicken Express is down there - fast food absolutely - but the one I have been to is really good value for the money!  Decent chicken and ok sides.  Cost/value ratio is pretty darn good.

Johnny Rockets - have been to one in Wisconsin and it was decent, but kind of pricey.  Maybe because of near airport location.

We went to La Madeleine today for first time and it was pretty good for a chain restaurant.... Will be back.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2015, 09:01:32 am »

Here is another list that is quite impressive. Movies for 2015.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/scenehomepage1/movies-to-look-forward-to-in/article_5d3e9802-f654-5da9-8c43-0d2b64f0fdaa.html

carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2015, 09:41:39 am »

Has anyone been to Bohemian Pizza in the East Village across from Hodges Bend?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org