A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:13:42 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NYT calls for indictments  (Read 2134 times)
Ed W
City Father

« on: December 23, 2014, 09:46:56 pm »

This time the difference isn't between right and left. It's right or wrong.

The New York Times called for the indictment of former President Bush, Vice President Cheney, and others in the Bush administration for the criminal acts committed under their torture regimen.

"Americans have known about many of these acts for years, but the 524-page executive summary of the Senate Intelligence Committee’s report erases any lingering doubt about their depravity and illegality: In addition to new revelations of sadistic tactics like “rectal feeding,” scores of detainees were waterboarded, hung by their wrists, confined in coffins, sleep-deprived, threatened with death or brutally beaten. In November 2002, one detainee who was chained to a concrete floor died of “suspected hypothermia.”"

"These are, simply, crimes. They are prohibited by federal law, which defines torture as the intentional infliction of “severe physical or mental pain or suffering.” They are also banned by the Convention Against Torture, the international treaty that the United States ratified in 1994 and that requires prosecution of any acts of torture."

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/22/opinion/prosecute-torturers-and-their-bosses.html?smid=re-share&_r=2

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2014, 01:18:31 am »

This time the difference isn't between right and left. It's right or wrong.

The New York Times called for the indictment of former President Bush, Vice President Cheney, and others in the Bush administration for the criminal acts committed under their torture regimen.

"Americans have known about many of these acts for years, but the 524-page executive summary of the Senate Intelligence Committee’s report erases any lingering doubt about their depravity and illegality: In addition to new revelations of sadistic tactics like “rectal feeding,” scores of detainees were waterboarded, hung by their wrists, confined in coffins, sleep-deprived, threatened with death or brutally beaten. In November 2002, one detainee who was chained to a concrete floor died of “suspected hypothermia.”"

"These are, simply, crimes. They are prohibited by federal law, which defines torture as the intentional infliction of “severe physical or mental pain or suffering.” They are also banned by the Convention Against Torture, the international treaty that the United States ratified in 1994 and that requires prosecution of any acts of torture."

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/22/opinion/prosecute-torturers-and-their-bosses.html?smid=re-share&_r=2

Hey, anything to take the attention off the screw ups of the current admin is good by me!  Let’s keep up the pressure on a couple of angry white guys who retired six years ago!

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2015, 09:47:17 pm »

We spent years and tons of money after WWII chasing down Japanese war criminals, trying and executing them for acts of torture against our prisoners of war.... for waterboarding.

And now we have come to this....

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2015, 10:01:14 pm »

Hey, anything to take the attention off the screw ups of the current admin is good by me!  Let’s keep up the pressure on a couple of angry white guys who retired six years ago!

Let's see...that must be the ones who have led us to get health insurance for millions of people previously without coverage - following in the footsteps of Mitt Romney in MA, of course.  Overseen the longest economic expansion in the history of the country.  Got the biggest tax cuts for the lower 99% in the history of the country (2009).  Been there for the Dow at several record levels...  18,000+.  Have seen the "warmest" relations with Iran since 1979 (yeah, it's 'relative').  Gotten us out of combat roles in Iraq and Afghanistan (as opposed to 'you know who').  Have managed to avoid committing war crime of waterboarding.  Reduced the deficit by a factor of 4 - in spite of the most obstructionist congress possible.

But yeah, your way is better....let the previous screw ups get away scott free with war crimes - as defined by us in the supreme law of the land.  Kill thousands of our kids in the wrong war, squander trillions of dollars.  Give even bigger record tax cuts for the top 1% - by a factor of more than 3. 

Much better of course....

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org