A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:39:59 am
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: “I can’t breathe!”  (Read 50774 times)
rebound
City Father

« Reply #60 on: July 06, 2017, 12:37:11 pm »

I can't believe this one didn't make this thread:

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2017/06/race_a_factor_in_off-duty_blac.html

Given that the main issue of the recent postings seem to be related to white cops going off half-cocked (Pun intended. Don't want to make light of this, but couldn't resist) on black suspects, this this one is both comical and sad at the same time. Fortunately, the off-duty cop was not killed.

"When the off-duty officer who lived nearby heard the commotion and arrived at the scene Wednesday night to help, two on-duty officers ordered him to the ground but then recognized him and told him to stand up and walk toward them. As he was doing so, another officer arrived and shot the off-duty officer "apparently not recognizing" him, police said."

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #61 on: July 06, 2017, 03:12:52 pm »

A little surprised you're making light of this.

Not surprised that is what you thought. Sad

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #62 on: July 06, 2017, 05:45:36 pm »

I can't believe this one didn't make this thread:

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2017/06/race_a_factor_in_off-duty_blac.html

Given that the main issue of the recent postings seem to be related to white cops going off half-cocked (Pun intended. Don't want to make light of this, but couldn't resist) on black suspects, this this one is both comical and sad at the same time. Fortunately, the off-duty cop was not killed.

"When the off-duty officer who lived nearby heard the commotion and arrived at the scene Wednesday night to help, two on-duty officers ordered him to the ground but then recognized him and told him to stand up and walk toward them. As he was doing so, another officer arrived and shot the off-duty officer "apparently not recognizing" him, police said."

or this one:

The officers’ narratives contradict what can be seen on police dashcam video, in which the teenager spins after he was shot and falls to the ground — seemingly incapacitated — as the officer continues to fire shot after shot (16 in all) into his body. The indictment further alleges that officers lied when they said McDonald ignored Van Dyke’s verbal commands and that one of the officers signed off on a report that claimed the other two officers were, in fact, victims of an attack by McDonald.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/3-chicago-police-officers-indicted-in-laquan-mcdonald-case/2017/06/27/ee4c8bc6-5b97-11e7-aa69-3964a7d55207_story.html

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #63 on: July 07, 2017, 11:17:13 am »

It is sad.  You shouldn't use someone's death to put a dig on another poster.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #64 on: July 07, 2017, 12:23:07 pm »

I guess you've forgotten in his long absence how he is.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #65 on: July 07, 2017, 10:29:08 pm »

Its getting easier to see where citizens might feel the justice system is failing them.

Mistrial declared for third time for cop accused of killing daughter's black boyfriend
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/shannon-kepler-mistrial-accused-killing-jeremey-lake

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #66 on: July 08, 2017, 11:59:47 am »

Are you kidding me? Vashta's mission is to run down our police at every possible opportunity. I am sick of it, and I will call it out.

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #67 on: July 08, 2017, 12:01:46 pm »

Its getting easier to see where citizens might feel the justice system is failing them.

Mistrial declared for third time for cop accused of killing daughter's black boyfriend
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/shannon-kepler-mistrial-accused-killing-jeremey-lake

That damned right to a fair trial thing keeps getting in the way of a successful justice system.

patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #68 on: July 08, 2017, 01:08:33 pm »

That damned right to a fair trial thing keeps getting in the way of a successful justice system.

Now if we could only have one where the verdict isnt determined at jury selection.

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #69 on: July 08, 2017, 01:41:18 pm »

Now if we could only have one where the verdict isnt determined at jury selection.

That works both ways.

rebound
City Father

« Reply #70 on: July 10, 2017, 08:38:56 am »

Guido (or anybody who might have closer knowledge of this than me),  I'd really like to understand the crux of these mistrials.   I watched this last one a little more closely, and it seems to me that it all comes down to whether another gun existed.  Holding all the ancillary details aside, we know he:

(a) Has major issues with his daughter
(b) Figures out where she is
(c) Drives, armed, to that location
(d) Confronts boyfriend in street
(e) Shoots boyfriend
(f) leaves scene

He claims later to have seen a gun.  No such gun was ever found, and no witnesses suggest the boyfriend owned or had a gun.   

So from the outside, if there is no gun, he's guilty.  If there is a gun, he's not.   Is that the gist of it?

And remember, this girl was 18.  Legally an adult. So really, he had no legal right to aggressively intervene, anyway.    I also have a 18 YO daughter.  If a similar situation happens and I arm up and go confront her and her boyfriend and end up shooting him, not only would it be wrong but I'm almost certainly going to be found guilty of something.  What am I missing here?

patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #71 on: July 10, 2017, 09:54:35 am »

Guido (or anybody who might have closer knowledge of this than me),  I'd really like to understand the crux of these mistrials.   I watched this last one a little more closely, and it seems to me that it all comes down to whether another gun existed.  Holding all the ancillary details aside, we know he:

(a) Has major issues with his daughter
(b) Figures out where she is
(c) Drives, armed, to that location
(d) Confronts boyfriend in street
(e) Shoots boyfriend
(f) leaves scene

He claims later to have seen a gun.  No such gun was ever found, and no witnesses suggest the boyfriend owned or had a gun.  

So from the outside, if there is no gun, he's guilty.  If there is a gun, he's not.   Is that the gist of it?

And remember, this girl was 18.  Legally an adult. So really, he had no legal right to aggressively intervene, anyway.    I also have a 18 YO daughter.  If a similar situation happens and I arm up and go confront her and her boyfriend and end up shooting him, not only would it be wrong but I'm almost certainly going to be found guilty of something.  What am I missing here?

"The argument pretty much was, there's not a definitive answer of whether or not Jeremey Lake had a gun or not," he said. "Nobody other than the person that's sitting on trial for first-degree murder was the only person that said Jeremey Lake had a gun."
http://www.newson6.com/story/35851523/he-shouldnt-be-walking-free-hes-guilty-kepler-juror-says

The allegation that the victim had a gun was essential to prop up a self-defense narrative, but Kepler was convicted on a minor charge for also shooting at witnesses (including his own daughter) so that defense is BS.

...officer said he fled the scene after the shooting in part because he did not want to be taken in for questioning without an attorney present. He also expressed concern about his safety because spectators began gathering around the shooting site and he ran out of bullets in the revolver.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/courts/shannon-kepler-defends-leaving-scene-after-shooting-daughter-s-boyfriend/article_72c28a97-afef-5457-b9e8-107bcee22ebe.html

Tulsa Police Officer Shannon Kepler convicted of manslaughter
http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/courts/former-tulsa-police-officer-shannon-kepler-convicted-of-manslaughter/article_6317fe90-68ef-55d1-b3dc-287d5342f35e.html

https://www.tulsaworld.com/news/fired-tpd-officer-gina-kepler-reinstated-after-arbitrator-rules-city/article_3333547b-d1de-522d-9882-c90e595e46a3.html
« Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 10:42:14 pm by patric » Logged

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #72 on: July 10, 2017, 10:26:07 am »

Are you kidding me? Vashta's mission is to run down our police at every possible opportunity. I am sick of it, and I will call it out.

If you had been paying attention, his mission is to run down criminal police at every possible opportunity.   Big difference.  Your blanket statement is projection - you trying to attribute to him the characteristic that you are accusing him of...with that over-generalization.  Fake Fox News Sound Bite methodology.     Bazinga!  Called out!

And this case just highlights how tough it is to get some people to hold the police accountable no matter how egregious and obviously criminal their behaviour.  Remember Rodney King.  And the reaction to that for O J Simpson?    Or to paraphrase, one heinous act deserves another...!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
TeeDub
« Reply #73 on: July 10, 2017, 01:17:01 pm »

If you had been paying attention, his mission is to run down criminal police at every possible opportunity.   Big difference.  Your blanket statement is projection - you trying to attribute to him the characteristic that you are accusing him of...with that over-generalization.  Fake Fox News Sound Bite methodology.     Bazinga!  Called out!

No, I'm pretty sure he just likes running down any police.   There are several instances where he has quoted out of context and provided one side of an argument to make it look like the police were the bad guys.    Not that some aren't bad, but there were a few that were way off base.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #74 on: July 10, 2017, 01:32:25 pm »

Hey, Vash....  you running down cops as a whole and every chance you get?  

If so, you are way wrong.

I will say that police are the most obvious symptom of our failures as human beings!   Kind of a "Captain Obvious" comment, I know...

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org