A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:19:38 pm
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gas at $1.99 in OKC  (Read 14205 times)
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2014, 09:09:55 am »

If the price of oil keeps dropping it could be very bad for our state government budget. 
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2014, 09:53:48 am »

If the price of oil keeps dropping it could be very bad for our state government budget. 

That's ok.... at least the very top bracket got their quarter percent tax cut!  That's what's important, after all....

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
rebound
City Father

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2014, 10:55:33 am »

On Cue in Moore off I-35 was at 1.92 yesterday.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2014, 11:41:58 am »

I saw $1.99 gas in Norman Saturday, that was after I’d filled for $2.09.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2014, 12:45:58 pm »

Trying to find the story, there was a blurb on one of Bloomberg TV's crawlers that said the Saudis wont think about changing there production until oil hits $40.00/barrel.

http://www.bloomberg.com/video/oil-will-hit-40-per-barrel-saxena-Jqjp6ZYgT_yI5TcB7XTMaw.html

« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 01:04:24 pm by dbacksfan 2.0 » Logged
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2014, 01:04:35 pm »

Trying to find the story, there was a blurb on one of Bloomberg TV's crawlers that said the Saudis wont think about changing there production until oil hits $40.00/barrel.

Sounds like Oklahoma and a few other states might want to look into diversification.

dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2014, 01:28:49 pm »

I'm wondering if we are seeing a replay of the 80's oil busted starting. When oil was recently at $100/bbl that was the equivalent of $35/bbl in 1980. We are currently at the equivalent of 1986 oil prices of $27/bbl.

I know it's from wiki, but it's interesting that the US started ramping up production after the oil crisis of the 70's only to have OPEC feel threatened so they flooded the market and shut down most oil production in the US. (marginal producers especially)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1980s_oil_glut
rebound
City Father

« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2014, 01:34:18 pm »

I saw $1.99 gas in Norman Saturday, that was after I’d filled for $2.09.

I filled up in Norman for $1.99, and then saw the $1.92 in Moore later...

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2014, 01:40:14 pm »

I filled up in Norman for $1.99, and then saw the $1.92 in Moore later...

Bought some at $1.97 an hour ago.  Will be in Norman later on a quest for a rumored $1.79 gallon.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2014, 03:28:30 pm »

http://www.bloomberg.com/video/oil-will-hit-40-per-barrel-saxena-Jqjp6ZYgT_yI5TcB7XTMaw.html

That is cheaper than barrel:
SKOLNIK Carbon Steel Open Head Drum, 55 gallons, Bolt Ring, 1.2mm Body Gauge (Pack of 1)

by Skolnik $78.39

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2016, 02:37:53 pm »

In Tulsa, prices at QuikTrip, Kum & Go and other stations rose to $2.11 a gallon early Wednesday, according to Gasbuddy.com.
http://www.tulsaworld.com/business/consumer/tulsa-gas-prices-jump-ahead-of-memorial-day-weekend/article_4a315e02-2d52-5f9a-babe-8beb15025f45.html

Well yes and no.  QT raises the prices first (usually by at least a dime but sometimes 15-16 cents like yesterday) but Kum & Go didnt match that until last night.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2016, 07:11:30 am »

Even the Federal Reserve Acknowledges the "Quiktrip Effect." Basically, they are the market force and get to set the price on a whim. So they use their power to spike prices with little regard for wholesale prices, then trickle the price back down. When it gets too close to wholesale prices again, they spike the price.

They tend to shoot up overnight — often by 10 percent or more — then decline slowly, penny by penny, over the following days. The pattern then repeats, even when prices nationally are holding steady. Economists call it an “Edgeworth price cycle,” and it shows up in a few American cities, mainly in the Midwest.

http://www.stltoday.com/business/local/fed-economists-confirm-quiktrip-effect-on-gas-prices-in-st/article_515bf2c0-8b18-5f5a-9936-acbc419bb853.html

Makes sense, a pattern of price spikes almost always followed by falling prices isn't normal market behavior.  Buy your gas on Wednesday and you usually will win the game. To the tune of $60 a year for an average driver if you fill up in a QT market.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2016, 07:33:16 am »

On Cue in Moore off I-35 was at 1.92 yesterday.

Up to $1.95 about 15 minutes ago - 4th street....slowly creeping up.  Wild ride since 2014....

Yeah, I'm stuck here again today!  Getting out early this afternoon!!

DTowner
City Father

« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2016, 08:31:27 am »

Even if the “QuikTrip Effect” is real (QT denies it), I don’t think a price jump a few days before the first big driving holiday weekend of the year proves much.  A quick search indicates gas prices jumped all over the country, even in cities without QT.  You should always fill up before Wednesday of a summer holiday week.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2016, 09:43:38 am »

Even the Federal Reserve Acknowledges the "Quiktrip Effect." Basically, they are the market force and get to set the price on a whim. So they use their power to spike prices with little regard for wholesale prices, then trickle the price back down. When it gets too close to wholesale prices again, they spike the price.

http://www.stltoday.com/business/local/fed-economists-confirm-quiktrip-effect-on-gas-prices-in-st/article_515bf2c0-8b18-5f5a-9936-acbc419bb853.html

Makes sense, a pattern of price spikes almost always followed by falling prices isn't normal market behavior.  Buy your gas on Wednesday and you usually will win the game. To the tune of $60 a year for an average driver if you fill up in a QT market.

This was a trick we finally learned up around Salida and Leadville, Colorado last summer.  They spike the prices on the weekends to nail the tourist traffic and the locals know to fill up mid-week.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org