A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:55:42 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Happy Thanksgiving  (Read 4413 times)
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« on: November 27, 2014, 04:08:11 pm »

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

RA

Ed W
City Father

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, 12:14:21 am »

Our family tradition is to have someone sick or experience some type of disaster on a holiday. This time it was my turn. The head cold started a couple of days ago, but waited until today to reach full force. I took some meds and slept most of the day.

My daughter made a very nice dinner, something she was proud of for doing from start to finish. I get leftovers tomorrow.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2014, 12:27:25 am »

Had my last grandmother pass away last night, so that will always be a memory of Thanksgiving for me.  First year in a while I actually didn't partake of any Thanksgiving food (we'll likely do it on Friday).

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2014, 01:38:01 am »

Had my last grandmother pass away last night, so that will always be a memory of Thanksgiving for me.  First year in a while I actually didn't partake of any Thanksgiving food (we'll likely do it on Friday).

My thoughts and prayers for you and your family. Take care.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2014, 11:58:47 pm »

Hoss, I’m very sorry to hear of your loss.

I have always gotten along just fine with my first wife since we were divorced and she and MC get along well.  We had Thanksgiving at their house this year.  We figured since we are all on friendly terms, it made sense to condense some of the efforts.  They provided the house, we and others brought food.  Worked out perfect.  Then we joined my daughters again at Utica Square for lights on.  I don’t think I’ve done that in 20 years.  Loads of fun and even more fun to watch my younger daughter try and navigate the 9-12 month old St. Bernard she just adopted through the crowd.  They weigh about the same, but he has four leg drive.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2014, 12:04:15 am »

Thanks for the thoughts guys.  It wasn't unexpected.  She lived a full life and up until just a few years ago lived on her own.  That never softens the blow, though.  She had a profound effect on my life and growing up after high-school.

She made it to her 98th birthday in October.  Many of us thought she would outlive us all.  She was the true matriarch of our family.

She had two daughters, five grandchildren, and I believe nine great-grand children and two of her great grand children are in their mid-twenties, so it wouldn't have been far-fetched for her to see great-great-grand children but it didn't happen.

Once again, I appreciate the thoughts.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2014, 12:09:24 am »

Thanks for the thoughts guys.  It wasn't unexpected.  She lived a full life and up until just a few years ago lived on her own.  That never softens the blow, though.  She had a profound effect on my life and growing up after high-school.

She made it to her 98th birthday in October.  Many of us thought she would outlive us all.  She was the true matriarch of our family.

She had two daughters, five grandchildren, and I believe nine great-grand children and two of her great grand children are in their mid-twenties, so it wouldn't have been far-fetched for her to see great-great-grand children but it didn't happen.

Once again, I appreciate the thoughts.

She sounds like quite a special lady.  It’s never easy losing someone close to you around the holidays, we’ve had a pattern of that over the years and every so often I get kind of jaded about the holiday season and wish it would just go away.  We were reminiscing with my mother about her mom over Thanksgiving and how she had such a profound impact on everyone’s life in our family.  It sounds like your grandmother and mine were cut from the same cloth.  Best wishes, my friend.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2014, 02:53:23 pm »

Had my last grandmother pass away last night, so that will always be a memory of Thanksgiving for me.  First year in a while I actually didn't partake of any Thanksgiving food (we'll likely do it on Friday).
I had my grandmother get a stroke on Thanksgiving Day 1967, she was going to come over and visit us and she called that she couldn't make it. This was in 1967 I was just a little tot back then. We drove her to DelRay Hospital ER room (Detroit), she never fully recovered from it, her left side was hit by the stroke. It's bad when family deaths or a illness  happen on a Holiday I still remember that. All the best.

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2014, 03:36:22 pm »

Condolences!  Hope next year is better for you!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org