A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:25:46 am
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: City Councilor Wants Red Light Cameras -- again.  (Read 37261 times)
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2016, 01:55:01 pm »

Texas judge accused of hatching secret deal with red light camera company
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/06/21/texas-judge-accused-hatching-secret-deal-with-red-light-camera-company.html

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2016, 01:55:30 pm »

Red light cameras and speed cameras are a scam, and in many places where they are installed accidents increase. It's not really about safety it's about money.

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
Vashta Nerada
Philanthropist

« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2016, 06:41:42 pm »

Red light cameras and speed cameras are a scam, and in many places where they are installed accidents increase. It's not really about safety it's about money.

Here we go again.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2016, 06:48:06 pm »

Here we go again.

You are quoting something from nearly 5 months ago. 

Vashta Nerada
Philanthropist

« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2016, 10:48:27 pm »

You are quoting something from nearly 5 months ago. 

Fox23 says its on tomorrow's Council agenda.

Meanwhile two years ago:

Oklahoma law does not allow for the use of cameras to electronically issue traffic tickets to red-light runners, Tulsa’s city prosecutor told city councilors Thursday.
“In a nutshell, without additional legislation, at least on the civil side, we’re not going to be able to do that,” Bob Garner said.
Councilor G.T. Bynum had asked Garner to provide a legal opinion as to whether the city could use cameras to enforce traffic violations.
Garner said cities’ traffic ordinances must conform to state law and that under Oklahoma law, running a red light is a criminal misdemeanor that must be proven beyond a reasonable doubt.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/local/cameras-aren-t-easy-fix-for-red-light-runners-tulsa/article_26c85e37-ef1d-525a-af3f-be86080cb542.html
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2016, 12:09:23 am »

Fox23 says its on tomorrow's Council agenda.

You might have mentioned that.

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2016, 08:14:13 am »

Maybe the red lights are for Christmas

Power is nothing till you use it.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2016, 08:34:55 am »

The only thing that has changed is that more scandals have erupted around red light cameras, more high profile cities have had to abandon them, and more studies have concluded they don't make anyone safer.  $o why would we recon$ider the i$$ue?

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2016, 12:27:07 pm »

The only thing that has changed is that more scandals have erupted around red light cameras, more high profile cities have had to abandon them, and more studies have concluded they don't make anyone safer.  $o why would we recon$ider the i$$ue?

We are very behind the curve, but I suspect Tulsa leaders will float that balloon until someone gives them the response they want.

I didnt see it on the published agenda.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Vashta Nerada
Philanthropist

« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2016, 08:27:28 pm »

You might have mentioned that.

Yes, you are right.
And I noticed the story vanished after airing all day Monday.  TV reporters have a bad habit of just taking handouts and running with it.

patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2019, 09:12:15 pm »

Pretty much echoing this thread:

Bill banning red-light cameras passes Oklahoma Senate
https://newsok.com/article/5625011/bill-banning-red-light-cameras-passes-oklahoma-senate

A bill prohibiting the use of red-light cameras in the state was approved Tuesday by the Oklahoma Senate.

Senate Bill 260, authored by state Sen. Nathan Dahm, R-Broken Arrow, would forbid the use of the devices, which are automated to take photos of vehicles that pass through intersections during a red traffic light.

There are no red-light cameras in Oklahoma, Dahm said. If one were installed, a law enforcement officer would have to witness the crime in person or review video before a citation could be issued. Citations issued without an officer involved are subject to a penalty, he said.

“My intent with this was to make sure we put the prohibition in there so that, in the future, if that penalty were to be changed, it still wouldn’t open it up for those red-light cameras,” Dahm said.

Dahm said there haven’t been many questions or debate on the bill regarding the controversial devices. The bill passed the Senate 46-1, with one state senator excused from the vote, and will move on to the House.

“A lot of states that have those red-light cameras — they’ve been removing them," Dahm said. "I think the last I checked there’s at least 10 states that have prohibition on them also."

Dahm said studies show wrecks increase at intersections where the cameras have been installed. He said some municipalities in other states have decreased the time limit of a yellow light to increase the likelihood of a red-light violation, with the intent of raising revenue.

In Texas, where the cameras are currently used, legislators also are trying to ban the devices. Texas Gov. Greg Abbott said last year that the cameras are expensive, may increase accidents and pose constitutional issues.

Dahm said other states have had problems with the cameras “false-identifying” vehicles and drivers.

patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2019, 07:36:57 pm »

Texas outlaws "photographic traffic signal enforcement systems"
https://www.foxnews.com/us/red-light-cameras-texas-governor-greg-abbott-new-law

https://capitol.texas.gov/tlodocs/86R/billtext/pdf/HB01631F.pdf

patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2019, 01:30:20 pm »

How to keep Tulsans from running red lights without handing out more tickets

https://www.tulsaworld.com/news/local/michael-overall-how-to-keep-tulsans-from-running-red-lights/article_59fd6776-1e9d-5bdc-abbd-1f8444636b39.html

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org