A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:18:38 am
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Feds want police to draw blood  (Read 12646 times)
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2010, 07:21:49 pm »

They can automatically suspend your license and say you were essentially creating a refusal to take the test.  Happened to a friend of mine who they said was not blowing hard enough into the breathalyzer.

I have heard of several instances of that, as well.  Some years ago, an out-of-town cop also told me that it is common practice for LEOs to identify themselves as officers and politely decline any field sobriety tests, if asked.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2010, 09:25:26 pm »

I see it this way, I have aichmophobia, and if they force a needle into my arm I'm suing for cruel and unusual punishment.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2010, 10:53:11 am »

I see it this way, I have aichmophobia, and if they force a needle into my arm I'm suing for cruel and unusual punishment.

I'm surprised no one has argued aichmophobia on a death row case yet then.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2010, 10:55:39 am »

Hard to hide the track marks and claim aichmophobia.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2010, 11:52:11 am »

What's worrisome, is when you read in todays paper:

"Hill was hired by the Tulsa Police Department on July 5, 2005. He was fired Aug. 18 after admitting that he planted drugs and stole money during drug arrests."

what people like that would have done if they had cart blanche to stick needles in people's veins.
...people found with drugs in their system that cant be explained, witness intimidation where people are threatened with being exposed to AIDS,
or all sorts of far-fetched notions that could become reality almost overnight.   

Then there's the though of a Trooper Martin-type with a needle, or a school cop.
It definitely crosses a line that would make it impossible to put the genie back in the bottle.
"No refusal" is no answer, and puts everyone at risk for the actions of a few. 

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2010, 12:03:40 pm »

What's worrisome, is when you read in todays paper:

"Hill was hired by the Tulsa Police Department on July 5, 2005. He was fired Aug. 18 after admitting that he planted drugs and stole money during drug arrests."

what people like that would have done if they had cart blanche to stick needles in people's veins.
...people found with drugs in their system that cant be explained, witness intimidation where people are threatened with being exposed to AIDS,
or all sorts of far-fetched notions that could become reality almost overnight.   

Then there's the though of a Trooper Martin-type with a needle, or a school cop.
It definitely crosses a line that would make it impossible to put the genie back in the bottle.
"No refusal" is no answer, and puts everyone at risk for the actions of a few. 

For once your cop paranoia is starting to make sense.  Wink

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2010, 12:45:25 pm »

If I ever commit a capital crime, I'll demand to be electricuted.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2010, 01:59:36 pm »

If I ever commit a capital crime, I'll demand to be electricuted.

Typical criminal wanting special treatment Wink

patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2017, 09:48:38 am »

Not a chance this will happen.  There's a lot that can go wrong when drawing blood, it's not something to be done in the field, especially when the guy/gal you are drawing from doesn't want to give you any.

I worked as a phlebotomist for a couple of years in college.  Worked for the Red Cross and for St. Francis Hospital.  If you draw blood 20 times a day for a couple of years you START to get good at it.  If you only do it once a week/month you're gonna suck, and in a litigious situation you're gong to do something that will get your @ss sued.  This is about the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

Broken needle
Hematoma
Infection
Hemorrhage
Air Embolism
Clot
Nerve Damage

. . .these are a few of my favorite things.

Phlebotomists, nurses, doctors, EMTs, and paramedics all carry malpractice insurance either individually or under a healthcare organization.  The police department would also have to take out a policy and the underwriter would make sure the cost reflected a very high risk (certain).

This too will not end well.

OK, so did Tulsa start drawing blood at arrest scenes?

Officers say they observed signs of intoxication during a field sobriety test and when the suspect would not consent to a blood test, she was taken to OSU Medical Center where blood was drawn.

http://www.kjrh.com/news/local-news/tulsa-attorney-arrested-booked-on-manslaughter-dui-charges

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org